View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    First of all, Hadrians Wall is entirely in England, the wall you are thinking of is the Antonine Wall. Secondly, it was never "smashed", the Antonine was abandoned when the Romans couldn't subjugate the proto Scots, and Hadrians was abandoned sometime between the 4th and 5th Century AD when the Roman Empire was in full collapse.

Come on now, they teach this shit in Primary School.
    I bet they do, you are telling me they teach primary school children that attempts at the creation of an EU superstate have failed for millennia? The Romans couldn't do it, you think Juncker and his merry gang can? More like our biased left leaning teachers attempt to indoctrinate fresh young minds about how great the EU is.

With the Brexit vote win, even that has failed though hasn't it and common sense has prevailed.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    I bet they do, you are telling me they teach primary school children that attempts at the creation of an EU superstate have failed for millennia? The Romans couldn't do it, you think Juncker and his merry gang can? More like our biased left leaning teachers attempt to indoctrinate fresh young minds about how great the EU is.

With the Brexit vote win, even that has failed though hasn't it and common sense has prevailed.
    I'm telling you they teach basic Roman History which covers the Antonine Wall and Hadrians Wall.

So your comparison that we're gonna rise up and smash the Irish border like we apparently did to Hadrians Wall doesn't work, because we didn't smash anything.

I'm curious though, as to how your comparing the Roman Empire, which was an Empire, and the EU, which is a Political Union of states.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm telling you they teach basic Roman History which covers the Antonine Wall and Hadrians Wall.

So your comparison that we're gonna rise up and smash the Irish border like we apparently did to Hadrians Wall doesn't work, because we didn't smash anything.

I'm curious though, as to how your comparing the Roman Empire, which was an Empire, and the EU, which is a Political Union of states.
    Their leaders shared many similarities with the current EU ones. Bribery, wealth, coercion, empty promises, corruption, democratic illegitimacy, distance and unaccountability to their people and so on and so on.

Failed then, is failing now. How do you not see the similarities?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    I bet they do, you are telling me they teach primary school children that attempts at the creation of an EU superstate have failed for millennia?
    The roman empire arguably lasted from 400BC to 1400 AD - That's longer than the 'concept' of Europe has been a thing.

Deleted
    Their leaders shared many similarities with the current EU ones. Bribery, wealth, coercion, empty promises, corruption, democratic illegitimacy, distance and unaccountability to their people and so on and so on.

Failed then, is failing now. How do you not see the similarities?
    Because one was an Empire, the other is a political Union.

The similarities you are seeing exist because of people, you could point to any failed empire in history and compare them if the only thing you have to compare them is human weakness.

Including the British Empire.

Because one was an Empire, the other is a political Union.

The similarities you are seeing exist because of people, you could point to any failed empire in history and compare them if the only thing you have to compare them is human weakness.

Including the British Empire.
    Nah, you forget that Dribbles lives in a different reality, which has a different history. There, the evil EU has sabotaged the British Empire to absorb the poor Brits, who are only now shaking off the shackles of subjugation - just like they had with the Romans - and will re-establish their empire again within the next 5 years, in a brazen disregard to what the word 'progressive' actually means.

More like our biased left leaning teachers attempt to indoctrinate fresh young minds about how great the EU is.
    Oh yes, because teaching according to your preferred style is so much better - taking random facts, mixing them up, adding/omitting a bit here and there (either because of ignorance or on purpose) and fitting it perfectly into your agenda.

Scary to think that people who are so deluded have a right to vote.
    Last edited by Mlz; 2018-03-13 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Nah, you forget that Dribbles lives in a different reality, which has a different history. There, the evil EU has sabotaged the British Empire to absorb the poor Brits, who are only now shaking off the shackles of subjugation - just like they had with the Romans - and will re-establish their empire again within the next 5 years, in a brazen disregard to what the word 'progressive' actually means.
    You sir made me laugh. But its true... Im going to throw Dribbles on ignore... its dribbling too much for my liking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The truly sad thing is that he doesn't even understand history, we didn't overthrow the Romans, we are the bloody Romans, same as we the Norse, the Saxon, the Norman. The British Isles have been formed over millennia by being invaded over and over again, until we got sick of that, formed our own Empire and did it to everyone else.

The only peoples who can claim they've been here throughout the entire thing are the Scots because that's where the native Gaels pissed off to when the Romans kicked them out of what we know as England, and the Irish, because no one really cared about Ireland.

The truly sad thing is that he doesn't even understand history, we didn't overthrow the Romans, we are the bloody Romans, same as we the Norse, the Saxon, the Norman. The British Isles have been formed over millennia by being invaded over and over again, until we got sick of that, formed our own Empire and did it to everyone else.

The only peoples who can claim they've been here throughout the entire thing are the Scots because that's where the native Gaels pissed off to when the Romans kicked them out of what we know as England, and the Irish, because no one really cared about Ireland.
    That is not a new thing, to be honest. Just check any of the recurring threads about immigration here. You will find many Americans that have some arbitrary cut-off dates and everyone who immigrated to the US after that and their descendants are not 'true Americans' or whatever. The basic concept of nationalism is that you can differentiate between 'your people' and 'the others'. That necessarily means that you have to essentially make up a kind of mono-ethnic group by utilizing arbitrary parameters. Everyone who has those is 'British' in this case. Their ancestry does not matter, as long as sufficiently many previous generations were 'British' as well. This can include culture, but also phenotypes and genotypes. It does not even matter if it makes sense, as long as you can sufficiently exclude 'outsiders'.

If nationalism was logical, it would not work, given that humanity originated in Africa. Unless you use those arbitrary parameters, there cannot be nationalities, only 'human'. So, if you have to define a specific kind of person as British, you might as well go all the way and ignore previous generations at your leisure. It just can't work otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account

Perhaps you are right.

Having just read that the modern day Roman Emporer Salvini has proposed changing their constitution so they can hold a referendum on keeping the Euro and ultimately an in/out EU referendum, how long before the Norse, Saxon, Norman folk follow the visionary British to freedom?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...Salvini-latest

Not long I'd wager and you can thank the empire for, as usual, leading the way.

Perhaps you are right.

Having just read that the modern day Roman Emporer Salvini has proposed changing their constitution so they can hold a referendum on keeping the Euro and ultimately an in/out EU referendum, how long before the Norse, Saxon, Norman folk follow the visionary British to freedom?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...Salvini-latest

Not long I'd wager and you can thank the empire for, as usual, leading the way.
    More hyperbole...
    Salvini has to become prime minister first. And if somehow he does, he'll be weaker than May.

As if the EU can never learn from their history, the EU of the day (the Romans) installed a hard border within the British Isles between Scotland and England yet relatively a short time afterwards the British peoples smashed Hadrian's wall to pieces. Can't wait for the EU of today to install their Irish version only to watch a short time later as the people of those same British islands smash it to pieces yet again.

You are stuck in Roman times Slanty without the Romans, Juncker is hardly a Centurion amusing as that picture might be, embrace the 21st C like us modern progressive Brexiteers.

For thousands of years the EU of the day has always failed. Nothing has changed today.
    The Romans weren't "the EU of the day". Quite the opposite. But how would you know, you don't know what the EU is, how it functions or what it does. For that matter, you know jack shit about the Roman Empire as well. Which just goes to show that you switched the subject to some bullshit rant about the Romans, or the EU, fuck knows what you're talking about, and ignore the original point that I made, which is that there were other empires than the British Empire.

Guess you just conceded the point? Weak ass argument it was to begin with. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, god... this is pure comedy. Haha...

- - - Updated - - -

That is actually amusing as fuck. And true enough.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's a historical theme that people inflict upon others what was once inflicted upon them
    It only worked up to a point, when most of the world was stuck in the iron age and illiterate. I doubt the mighty British empire would manage to establish a colony anywhere today. Handing over booze and opium or parading doesn't cut it anymore. Except in Dribbles' world.

Actually most of our ancestry comes from the native Britons who were invaded by the Romans. Subsequent invasions from the Anglo-Saxons, Norse and Normans mostly displaced the ruling classes and left an impact on the culture, but genetically they didn't make that much of a dent.

Scotland also had a fairly heavy influx of Norse and a scattering of Saxons. Also the name "Scotland" actually comes from Gaelic invaders from Ireland, prior to that the people in Scotland had been closely related to the Brittonic Celts to the south.

The Gaelic tribes weren't aboriginal to Britain either. Whoever was, we've long since lost their names to history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

"Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

As if the EU can never learn from their history, the EU of the day (the Romans) installed a hard border within the British Isles between Scotland and England yet relatively a short time afterwards the British peoples smashed Hadrian's wall to pieces. Can't wait for the EU of today to install their Irish version only to watch a short time later as the people of those same British islands smash it to pieces yet again.

You are stuck in Roman times Slanty without the Romans, Juncker is hardly a Centurion amusing as that picture might be, embrace the 21st C like us modern progressive Brexiteers.

For thousands of years the EU of the day has always failed. Nothing has changed today.
    Forget the borders, what are you going to do if planes can't fly over the UK and ships can't dock?
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Forget the borders, what are you going to do if planes can't fly over the UK and ships can't dock?
    I must have missed this but when did we decide that we would close our airspace and ports?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I must have missed this but when did we decide that we would close our airspace and ports?
    The day you voted for Brexit and leaving the open sky agreements, and leaving a free trade area. You have no replacement for it yet.