Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Bro, Christians aren't running around in Pakistan in vigilante mobs killing people. They're not throwing of gay people from buildings. They're not wandering the streets of Europe in rape gangs.
    They are involved in comparably horrible behaviours, though. So it's weird that you cherry pick those particular things and give Christians a pass.

I mean, if your argument is we should give Muslims a pass because Christians used to do bad things, then I dunno what to tell you. Actually, that makes perfect sense considering who I'm talking to. Until they stop doing this shit en masse in non-isolated incidents, they should be treated as a threat.
    You've spectacularly failed to grasp my point, and projected your own irrationality onto me.

I'm not arguing we "give Muslims a pass". Muslims engaged in or advocating for those heinous crimes should be punished accordingly, where feasible. Same for Christians, or anyone. The difference is, I'm not targeting innocents and accusing them of those same behaviours. Which you are. And then engaging in this blatant whataboutism to try and cover over the prejudice.

If you're trying to make decisions about entire groups of people like this, rather than about individuals, you're engaging in irrational prejudice. That's the literal definition of the word. Prejudice is wrong and is not defensible. I see no reason to slander people like Malala Yousafzai because some people who share her faith have acted horribly. Any more than I would slander any Christian activist for a KKK lynching they weren't part of.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Potential problem, unless they prove otherwise. And I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in first impressions as well, unless they obviously demonstrate they are crazy ideologues.

Same applies to crazy Christian fundamentalists, too. If a person identifies as Christian, I'm going to assume they're gonna try to push their religion on me as well, until they don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Bro, Christians aren't running around in Pakistan in vigilante mobs killing people. They're not throwing of gay people from buildings. They're not wandering the streets of Europe in rape gangs.

I mean, if your argument is we should give Muslims a pass because Christians used to do bad things, then I dunno what to tell you. Actually, that makes perfect sense considering who I'm talking to. Until they stop doing this shit en masse in non-isolated incidents, they should be treated as a threat.
    so ya you see both Muslims and Christians as some sort of boogie man.

Deleted
    Not that I doubt that it might be correct, we are talking about a nation that went full on crazy to try and get rid of an exercise/meditation movement, because it was supposedly dangerous; they're not exactly the most trustworthy on topics that could in any way seem to undermine their supremacy within their nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Not that I doubt that it might be correct, we are talking about a nation that went full on crazy to try and get rid of an exercise/meditation movement, because it was supposedly dangerous; they're not exactly the most trustworthy on topics that could in any way seem to undermine their supremacy within their nation.
    Honestly, while I don't agree with the Chinese government's methods, Falun Gong is exactly the kind of cult of pseudoscientific quackery that modern societies should not tolerate. The Communists are especially hostile to them because these types of quasi-religious movements were extremely common throughout history and are largely blamed for the country's backwardness. Just think of the Boxer Rebellion and its belief in the power of kung fu over European rifles. Thankfully, in the West things like the Church of Scientology and various New Agey movements mostly peddle their bullshit to make a quick buck and not necessarily to upend society, but imagine the problems they could cause if they did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Honestly, while I don't agree with the Chinese government's methods, Falun Gong is exactly the kind of cult of pseudoscientific quackery that modern societies should not tolerate. The Communists are especially hostile to them because these types of quasi-religious movements were extremely common throughout history and are largely blamed for the country's backwardness. Just think of the Boxer Rebellion and its belief in the power of kung fu over European rifles. Thankfully, in the West things like the Church of Scientology and various New Agey movements mostly peddle their bullshit to make a quick buck and not necessarily to upend society, but imagine the problems they could cause if they did.
    Well, the communists in China did always have a rather grim outlook on any form of traditions. Heck the entire Mao period was nothing but an attempt to destroy their entire past. To reflect on current terminology, one could argue they're aggressively post-modernistic. Something that some would certainly argue is destructive to our societal stability, and seeing China do way more severely, one would question what that has entail for the future.

Alas, we are talking about paranoid authoritarians, they could perceive cat image sharing websites as undermining their power.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    As soon as the left is done using them as a shield.
    A shield against what, exactly?

Why does someone have to be on the left to refuse to condemn almost 1/4 of the world's population as a "blight on society?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Well, the communists in China did always have a rather grim outlook on any form of traditions. Heck the entire Mao period was nothing but an attempt to destroy their entire past. To reflect on current terminology, one could argue they're aggressively post-modernistic. Something that some would certainly argue is destructive to our societal stability, and seeing China do way more severely, one would question what that has entail for the future.

Alas, we are talking about paranoid authoritarians, they could perceive cat image sharing websites as undermining their power.
    It's not specific to the Communists, ever since European gunboats forcibly opened China up to trade, leaders have tried to implement aggressive modernization programs and have pretty much all failed miserably because there were far too many bullshit peddlers with an interest in maintaining the "old ways" who blocked any attempts at reform. Nowadays actually, the Communists seem to be pretty content with the pace of technological progress and have done a 180 on this, using propaganda to try and promote traditional culture and values, though without much success because once the youngsters got a taste of Western consumerism there's no way in hell they'll go back to listening to Confucian maxims again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    It's almost as if Abrahamic religions bring out the worst in people isn't it?
    I mean, It was not illegal or a sin in pagan times to be homosexual in Scandinavia. You might get ridiculed for being the receiving part yes. but at least you wouldn't get stoned or thrown from buildings. Until Christianity reared its ugly head.
    I am biased since I am a Catholic but in core messages of Jesus Christ I truly see nothing but beauty, but people who came after him and Catholic Church did some truly abominable stuff. Old Testament is full of horrid things as well. Perhaps Abrahamic religions simply reflect environment where they were created.

But glorification of native Germanic, Slavic, Celtic and Baltic faiths as being shining beacons of tolerance that have fallen to Christianity is simply dishonest. They had their ugly side as well.

There are many Muslims that live in China in every region. They mostly concentrated in the northwest provinces of Xinjiang, Gansu, and Ningxia, with significant populations also found throughout Yunnan province in southwest China and Henan province in central China.

There are also Uighurs in China. I saw it in the news that Chinese police are using facial recognition device in these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    I though islam was forbidden in China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, it does make you a hateful bigot... just in case you were wondering.

More than anything, it makes you a pure authoritarian.

I'd much rather support freedom, thanks.

LOL! (actually no, I don't really care.)

Technically if you're "all for freedom" then I am free to dislike whatever the Hell I want to. But you can go ahead and judge me for it, you know seeing as how you're trying to fill the shoes of God.

You can support freedom, because the state of islam sure as Hell doesn't.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.