Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Nope, nope, nope. Arranged marriages should be banned.
    Why exactly? Forced marriages should be banned, nothing wrong with arranged marriages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Do you understand the word "oath" is there a similar word in Swedish?
    Yes, I know what oath means. That still doesn't mean you have an obligation to make it work if you fall out of love or else it's a failure. People would pity or mock you if you're staying in a marriage that's not working out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'm glad I don't watch terrestrial television anymore]
    What extra-terrestrial company are you subbed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Not to mention that many primitive traditions have been abandoned in the West not because of people not understanding them, but because of the exact opposite reason: people actually understand perfectly their pros and cons. And being products of an enlightened secular culture, they have judged the net worth of certain practices to be negative. This, however, is something that people coming from less enlightened cultures (as well as SJW's and other multiculturalists) often fail to understand themselves: most Western people already understand all of their points because they look at them from above; they've already been through it, and culturally evolved beyond and above it.
    I'm not really seeing the problem with arranged marriages. It's when it's forced upon someone that it becomes a problem.

aziz ansari had kinda of an interesting riff about this a few years ago; in the west we usually think of arranged marriages as being a straight up property transaction (a la the habsburgs or saxe-coburgs in europe) if not sexual slavery, but in most of the rest of the world it isn't practiced that way

the idea of two families coming together to figure out whether their offspring are a good match creating a more durable union than people meeting randomly (as in the west) isn't that crazy an idea, if you think about it objectively

Why is it focused on white people? Do black Americans understand arranged marriage better than white Americans?

also ffs it's freakin obvious that when the author/creator in OP talks about 'white people' she's speaking euphemistically/sarcastically about 'people in the modern west'

for a forum that usually tells people to grow thicker skin or whatever yall get sensitive as fuck as soon as somebody mentions white people as a group

Yeah, this is poor wording that makes her seem racist. I assume she meant Westerners. Also, a game is not going to make the West more "understanding" (probably means tolerant here) of arranged marriage, we just prefer to marry who we want (or not marry!) nowadays...3/4D chess with relatives not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    also ffs it's freakin obvious that when the author/creator in OP talks about 'white people' she's speaking euphemistically/sarcastically about 'people in the modern west'

for a forum that usually tells people to grow thicker skin or whatever yall get sensitive as fuck as soon as somebody mentions white people as a group
    See my signature. We do not need assistance to understand arranged marriage.

7+ Year Old Account

Is it, though?

deviantART
    Simple Armory EU
    Simple Armory US
    Lodestone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    Why exactly? Forced marriages should be banned, nothing wrong with arranged marriages.
    Arranged marriages has a 50% chance of not being approved by one of the parts, I don't say it is a certainty but arranged marriages has a past of not considering all factors and people in it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I'm not really seeing the problem with arranged marriages. It's when it's forced upon someone that it becomes a problem.
    Because a forced marriage is by definition an arranged marriage. And the "arrangement" can quickly shift to being forced.
    Essentially the only difference is, that the people in the "arranged" marriage give their ok, It is in both instances people telling others, who to marry. Which is not acceptable.

"I wanted to put white people in a clickbait headline regarding archaic relationship establishment practices" would be a more accurate assessment.

See my signature. We do not need assistance to understand arranged marriage.
    I disagree

I needed assistance to understand it, because I (like I assume most people in the modern west) was unfamiliar with how arranged marriage is practiced between families in say, indonesia. There's no reason I would know that of course, so my understanding of arranged marriage was formed basically entirely by european history

also I don't see how your sig is relevant to this; someone generalized about white people (as people on this forum routinely do about groups not as prominent in the west) and now people are in a hypocritical tizzy about it

the idea of two families coming together to figure out whether their offspring are a good match creating a more durable union than people meeting randomly (as in the west) isn't that crazy an idea, if you think about it objectively
    Parents aren't usually "in touch" on how their kids really think though. Chances are they'll choose based on their own preferences and not on the child.

Plus, arranged marriages are often a financial thing (again a decision made from the parent's pov).
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2018-03-14 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Because a forced marriage is by definition an arranged marriage. And the "arrangement" can quickly shift to being forced.
    Essentially the only difference is, that the people in the "arranged" marriage give their ok, to a forced marriage.
    I know people who are in marriages that were arranged and they're happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps next she can explain to white people the Asian, systematic rape of white girls in UK...waiting

That's kind of the entire premise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Arranged marriages has a 50% chance of not being approved by one of the parts, I don't say it is a certainty but arranged marriages has a past of not considering all factors and people in it.
    We need to, however, take into an account that there's not only one type of an arranged marriage in existance. The more acceptable option is literally just families hooking their kids up for a few dates to see how they get along and then the offsprings can decide together if they want to get married. If not, no one is forced into it.

I'm pretty sure not many people in the west are alright with either, or both, of the sides not consenting on a marriage.

deviantART
    Simple Armory EU
    Simple Armory US
    Lodestone

also I don't see how your sig is relevant to this
    You don't see how racism of low expectations is relevant to someone assuming we need it to be explained(assistance) to us? Okay, you do you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    That's kind of the entire premise.
    Forced marriage =/= Arranged marriage.

I know people who are in marriages that were arranged and they're happy.
    So? It still wasn't their choice.