Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Astronaut’s DNA no longer matches his identical twin

(Source)
    Astronaut Scott Kelly had an identical twin brother when he ventured into space and set the record for most consecutive days spent in orbit, but not anymore.

In a groundbreaking new study, NASA scientists found that Kelly’s DNA had been altered upon his return to earth — with 7 percent of his genes experiencing an “unexpected change,” according to the agency.

Research teams from around the country had been analyzing the New Jersey native’s condition and genetic makeup following his year-long stay aboard the International Space Station as part of NASA’s “Twins Study.”

Kelly said on Twitter that he didn’t find out about the results until he saw media reports this week about the DNA change.

“What? My DNA changed by 7%! Who knew?” he tweeted. “I just learned about it in this article. This could be good news! I no longer have to call @ShuttleCDRKelly my identical twin brother anymore.”

According to NASA, Kelly’s 340 days in orbit may have ultimately activated what scientists describe as “space genes.”

“This is thought to be from the stresses of space travel, which can cause changes in a cell’s biological pathways and ejection of DNA and RNA,” the agency said. “Such actions can trigger the assembly of new molecules, like a fat or protein, cellular degradation; and can turn genes on and off, which change cellular function.”

Researchers said the long-term changes were related to Kelly’s immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, hypoxia and hypercapnia.

“By studying how space travel can influence chemical changes in RNA and DNA, new ‘space genes’ were reported, indicating significant cell stress and correlations with changes noted by other Twins Study investigators,” explained NASA. “Whole-genome sequencing showed each twin has hundreds of unique mutations in their genome, more than expected, and some were found only after spaceflight.”
    Interesting, I wonder how spacefaring in the future could potentially affect our evolution.

Deleted
    Did they check him for the Venom symbiote?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Cool though not really surprising.

Are these changes positive or negative, I mean are these changes you'd want?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Wait, by seven percent? Isn't that way beyond what is actually the difference between humans?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Are these changes positive or negative, I mean are these changes you'd want?
    They would be positive if you remain in space. Maybe not once you return to earth. But if his genes now will revert back to where it was.....
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    (Source)

Interesting, I wonder how spacefaring in the future could potentially affect our evolution.
    Not surprising. The space is fucking full of radiation, and not just from our sun. The space station itself can protect them from most of it, but continued exposure is a thing. Then there's the space suits, which I imagine aren't as protective against radiation as the space station's walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They would be positive if you remain in space.
    Wrong. DNA doesn't "consciously adapt itself" to the environment. Those changes could be either positive or negative. For all we know, those "changes" could have resulted in cancer.

Did he enter the Shimmer?

Anyone want to guess what happens when you go to colonize a red planet with no magnetic core and no protection from radiation? Everyone will die of cancer in a few years is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Wrong. DNA doesn't "consciously adapt itself" to the environment. Those changes could be either positive or negative. For all we know, those "changes" could have resulted in cancer.
    The way the article is worded, saying "have ultimately activated what scientists describe as “space genes.”" seems to imply that a specific set of genes were activated, not a random mutation.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not surprising. The space is fucking full of radiation, and not just from our sun. The space station itself can protect them from most of it, but continued exposure is a thing. Then there's the space suits, which I imagine aren't as protective against radiation as the space station's walls.

I can not disagree because you make some good points. But it does seem to be a way for the body to adapt. Such as tanning of the skin, which can lead to skin cancer however if overdone.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-03-15 at 03:32 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account

This exactly. Most people aren't aware of how hostile an environment space is. Even in low Earth orbit where the magnetosphere still provides some protection from the solar wind, radiation levels are still VERY high compared to the environment we are used to from the surface (where we also have the protection of the atmosphere). Gamma and cosmic rays can also penetrate ANY material, so there is no effective way to shield against them (especially considering only the more dense elements like lead and gold can block any measurable amount of it, and they are mostly too heavy to launch into space to begin with). People in orbit experience a LOT more radiation than people on the ground.

Also there's the whole 0g thing to take into account. The human body does not like 0g, it causes all kinds of bone and muscle issues.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    The way the article is worded, saying "have ultimately activated what scientists describe as “space genes.”" seems to imply that a specific set of genes were activated, not a random mutation.
    I can't decide if that's awesome or scary. I mean humans have always been super adaptable, but this implies that we already had said "space genes" just kinda there.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    (Source)

Pretty amazing they were able to do this - twins and one being a long-term space-station resident astronaut.

Your dna changes on over the course of your life. Not sure why this isn't expected.

This sounds more like the EXPRESSION changed, not the DNA itself. DNA expression changes constantly over a lifetime depending on what is needed of the body, so it can adapt. It sounds like his actual DNA code is identical though.

Is this how the Fantastic Four begins in real life?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Your dna changes on over the course of your life. Not sure why this isn't expected.
    It usually doesn't deviate when you have an identical twin. You should be the same.

The first Newtype.

Most likely these changes are negative, as space is an extremely inhospitable place to be even when protected by a pressurized can. Astronauts life expectancy is bellow that of the average human. There are many problems one being that our immune system stops working properly when in zero g, it's also believed that deep space radiation causes cardiovascular problems in aging astronauts, and many more we don't yet understand.

However once we start venturing into space with large amounts of people it could be that the people who are more susceptible to these kind of issues to reproduce at lower rates compared to the people who are better suited to the new environment combined with the discovered effects space has on our genes it could lead to a significant disparities between humans living on earth and their brethren in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Wait, by seven percent? Isn't that way beyond what is actually the difference between humans?
    Way way way beyond. Humans to chimps is just over 1%. 7% difference means he is basically now an elephant