Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Tennessee House fails to pass resolution denouncing neo-Nazi's

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/16/polit...rnd/index.html

A resolution denouncing neo-Nazis dies in 36 seconds

(CNN) It sounds like the kind of legislation that should easily breeze through a statehouse, even in these politically divided times: a resolution denouncing white nationalists and neo-Nazis.

It didn't even make it out of committee in the Tennessee legislature.

The resolution was written by Tennessee Democratic state Rep. John Ray Clemmons. It doesn't name any particular group. It calls on law enforcement to go after white nationalists and Neo-Nazi groups with the same "fervor" as other forms of terrorism.

"[W]e urge law enforcement to recognize these white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups as terrorist organizations and to pursue the criminal elements of these domestic terrorist organizations in the same manner and with the same fervor used to protect the United States from other manifestations of terrorism."

But when it came up Wednesday before the House State Government Subcommittee, it died a quick death. How quick? About 36 seconds.

As Clemmons started to talk about the bill, the sole Democrat on the five-member committee motioned to have it discussed.

No one on the committee spoke up. The committee chair, Republican state Rep. Bill Sanderson, then gaveled the resolution dead

And with that the committee moved on to the next item on its agenda.

Because the resolution didn't get a second motion to proceed, it means it won't make it to a vote by the full legislature.

'Why, I can't begin to imagine'
    Clemmons can't understand how something so non-controversial couldn't even get out of committee.

"Why, I can't begin to imagine," he told CNN affiliate WZTV. "What example does this set for children when their own state won't denounce acts of violence by hate groups? We have blown a tremendous opportunity."

Sanderson hadn't responded to CNN requests for comment, but another Republican member of the committee, state Rep. Bob Ramsey, told WZTV that they didn't have enough information on neo-Nazis or white supremacy to be able to talk about it.

"We have no expertise on it," he said. "How could we determine these groups are terrorists? We don't know the federal guidelines on terrorism."

Later, in a statement to CNN, Ramsey said the committee agreed with Clemmons "on the intent and philosophy of the resolution." The objection was to "the designation of 'terrorist organization.'"

"In the past two sessions, our Committee has had several resolutions from various political parties, aimed at special prosecutors, designations of terrorist organizations, condemnation of religious sites and practices, and celebration of controversial historical sites, figures, or organizations. These subjects seem simple but have initiated some of the most bitter decisiveness and debates I have ever witnessed. They usually result in a retaliatory resolution from the other side."

The committee could bring the resolution back up if it's reworded, Ramsey said. CNN has reached out to Clemmons to see if he'll do this but has not heard back.
    The video is worth a watch, because the Republicans seem like they either knowingly didn't second a resolution to denounce white supremacists and neo-Nazi's because...uh...they like them I guess, or they rushed through it specifically to deny a resolution introduced by a Democrat because "fuck libtards" or something.

They're currently trying to defend their actions because he didn't submit the paperwork beforehand or something, which is a bullshit argument because plenty of resolutions have moved forward despite that happening before.

It continues to be scary to see elected Republicans be soft on white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't denounce your voters, I mean who else is gonna reelect you?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

"More information required about neo-nazis" - fuck that. If neo-nazi then punch. Simple as that.

They squashed it because racist shitbird describes their entire voting base.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's not like there haven't been several instances of murder or anything the past few years regarding white supremacists in this country

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this would definitely explain how that disgusting Shane Reeves won his election.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

On the one hand, I can see why they would be reticent to codify in official statements from the legislature the "terrorist" status of an organization they are not familiar with. Far too many organizations in history have been unjustly blackballed due to overzealous opposition to their cause painting them as terrorists or revolutionaries, when they were actually just in opposition to the sitting government.

On the other hand, these are fucking neo nazis. Their platform is not exactly ambiguous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Really? They don't know about neo-nazis and white supremacists?

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame the tiki torch industry lobbyists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having lived in TN...

Yeah I'm not surprised. You get pretty deep south, not too far out of cities.

I mean, suburbs of generally Dem cities like Memphis get to redneck central in a short amount of driving.
    See: Convington for anyone familiar with the greater Memphis area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Having lived in TN...

Yeah I'm not surprised. You get pretty deep south, not too far out of cities.

I mean, suburbs of generally Dem cities like Memphis get to redneck central in a short amount of driving.
    See: Convington for anyone familiar with the greater Memphis area.
    They're just following the lead of social media, like reddit or online forums. They also have a hard time condemning neo-Nazis.

This just proves that the right-wing in general are deplorabels.

Sure they won't march together with skinheads but when it comes down to they will turn the other cheek.

Nazis are terrorists at thier core, thier ideogly is based around murdering Americans that they deem “others”, yet they for some reason couldnt get a resolution passed that directs law enfocement to view them as such.

Inb4 the army of posts saying “but why cant we also do the same for antifa/cmmunists/buzzwords”.

Why would they denounce their voters?

They took a page right out of Trump's playbook. When asked to denounce a major part of your base, pretend that you have no idea who they are and that you've never even heard of white supremacists before and that you need more information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Nazis are terrorists at thier core, thier ideogly is based around murdering Americans that they deem “others”, yet they for some reason couldnt get a resolution passed that directs law enfocement to view them as such.

Inb4 the army of posts saying “but why cant we also do the same for antifa/cmmunists/buzzwords”.
    Neo nazis are worse than nazis. Nazis tried, and they were stopped. Neo nazis look back and think "6 million? We can do better than that."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans, yall aint tired of these spineless people representing you?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The US has consistently refused to treat neo Nazi and white supremacist groups as the terrorist organisations they are.

If they did it'd create some statistics that are uncomfortable for certain ideologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Not surprising, people have gotten more tolerant and sympathetic of Nazism lately. Hell, even on MMOC you have staunch anti-Nazi posters like Skroe and Endus(yes, your eyes don't deceive you, he's mysteriously banned atm) getting banned and silenced by the moderation team for being vocal critics of the movement.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Endus strikes agai-

oh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?