Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Yeah, it's a common street food here.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Traditional cooking methods for maize involved soaking the kernels in alkali before grinding them, a process called nixtamalization. Without this process, a diet heavy in maize can lead to niacin deficiency (pellagra).
    I've only used the result of that method in some soups and stews. Hominy. The resulting product being pozole.

It's good stuff. Sometimes people ask me how I made the dumplings. I'm like, lol, it's corn treated in poison.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    I live in the United States. We put corn in everything.
    Corndogs would be the first crime against humanity the USA should be charged with in the international criminal court.

I live in Ohio. I think that's all I need to say.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Roast corn, boiled corn, corn soup...you name it.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

i don't really like corn. it's taste and smell reminds me of the smell of the retarded kids in high school, and i was so not happy every time they were around.

A coworker of mine is from Austria. When visiting family back in Austria some decades ago, he made himself polenta. His uncle, when he saw that, reacted strongly and negatively. The smell brought back bad memories of the immediate postwar years, when the US shipped bulk foodstuffs, including cornmeal, to Europe to avert starvation. Polenta was forever associated in this guy's mind with deprivation and defeat.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Corndogs would be the first crime against humanity the USA should be charged with in the international criminal court.
    Come on, one of the unique culinary inventions of the US! We just took what was given to us (the hot dog) by immigrants and put batter on it. Because of our ingenuity, we added a stick for convenience.

If we deconstruct the thing, it's really just a portable sausage and pancake, which is an acceptable food in much of Europe.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those pictures make me drool. I love corn. I hold it to be one of this world's tastiest natural fooditems.

My wife on the other hand, she hates it with a vengeance. Get some of it in front of her face and watch her retch.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Mostly used it as bait when fishing as a kid.

Yes, not in overwhelming amounts but it isn't out of the ordinary to see the occasional corn field in Denmark.

Corn on the Cob is amazing, we also Can sweet corn as well. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Corn off the cob is for 2-3 year olds, no one over that age should be eating it.
    Psst, it's actually the other way around. If you have to have mommy (or a company) rip it off the cob for you, you're the one who needs to grow up. Regardless, I'm sure she'll get to it after she cuts your steak for you or cuts the crust off your sandwich.

Yes, but not a lot.

My wife's obsessed with corn on the cob, she makes that all the time. So I probably eat it more than most Australians.

Oh, and there's usually corn in Chico rolls, so maybe I'm underestimating Australian corn consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

In the USA, we definitely over-indulge on corn/maize.

Personally, I avoid high fructose corn syrup as much I can. I can count on one hand how often I eat corn every year. Just one can of corn a year and I only eat 1/4 of it and about 2 corn on the cobs. So about 3 times a year. That is well below "moderation" so it is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't the US have a heavily government subsidised corn(maize) industry? Of course you eat, think and live in corn!

We do eat it here and I sure like it, but I'm thankful we don't use it as a sweetener, as I find it mostly to be a lousy one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Doesn't the US have a heavily government subsidised corn(maize) industry? Of course you eat, think and live in corn!
    Subsidies are a fairly small fraction of the US corn production. Last year, the US produced 14.6 billion bushels of corn, at $3.25/bushel. That's more than $47B. This is about five times the average annual corn subsidy.

The largest indirect subsidy (not included in the above) is the required production of ethanol, which drives UP the price of corn for other uses.

The real reason we're awash in corn is that yields continue to march upwards, with no end in sight to the increase.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce
    there's usually corn in Chico rolls
    Why didn't you warn me not to look those up? CMOT Dibbler would be embarrassed by those.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Why didn't you warn me not to look those up? CMOT Dibbler would be embarrassed by those.
    I'll be honest, I kind of like them. Like a massively oversized spring roll with pastry that's too thick.

Although it's clearly been a long time, I misspelled the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    See other quote.

Its not just in the US in Canada its very much just corn maize is not word used much at all.
    Not everyone lives in the US though and translating can be confusing if we just say corn.