Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Sweden to tighten rape legislation, outlawing non-consensual sex

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...Name=worldNews

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - The Swedish government on Tuesday sent a bill that would outlaw sex not based on mutual consent to parliament for approval, widening the circumstances that could constitute rape or other sex crimes.

With the new law, Sweden will join a small number of countries, including Britain and Canada, where the lack of consent, even without violence, is enough to constitute a crime.

Sweden has had a relatively wide definition of rape in an international context and its laws on sex crimes came into the spotlight when the country put out an arrest warrant for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange over rape allegations.

Sweden has since dropped that investigation but Assange is remains holed up in Ecuador’s London embassy where he took refuge since 2012 for allegedly jumping bail in Britain.

To obtain a rape conviction, the draft Swedish law would no longer require violence or the threat of violence or that the perpetrator had exploited a victim’s vulnerable situation.

“Sex should be voluntary. Everything else is abuse,” tweeted Morgan Johansson, Minister for Justice and Home Affairs.

The government stopped short of making expressed consent a condition for consensual sex. But the bill states that “in the judgment of whether participation is voluntary, it should be taken into special consideration whether consent has been expressed in words or action”.

“If a person wants to engage in sexual activities with someone who remains inactive or gives ambiguous signals, he or she will therefore have to find out if the other person is willing,” the bill reads.

The proposal is likely to pass parliament and come into force on July 1 this year.

Assange took refuge in London’s Ecuadorian Embassy in June 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden after two women made rape and sexual molestation allegations against him, which he denied.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really understand the bolded part since you've had to use violence, threat of violence or abuse that someone was considered to be in a helpless position for it to be considered rape, non-consent has not been enough, as it even says in the second bolded part.
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2018-03-20 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    I don't really understand why people have issues understanding sexual consent

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh this is gonna be good. It's been a while since we've had a circle jerk of what constitutes "Consent"

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I don't really understand why people have issues understanding sexual consent
    I think it is because under most of these definitions nobody could prove they are not a rapist. Basically there is this slow march towards all sex being broadly considered probably rape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I think it is because under most of these definitions nobody could prove they are not a rapist. Basically there is this slow march towards all sex being broadly considered probably rape.

7+ Year Old Account
    Um...isn't non-consensual sex being a crime a captain obvious thing? Isn't it already rape?

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Um...isn't non-consensual sex being a crime a captain obvious thing? Isn't it already rape?
    No, it isn't. Violence, threat of violence or abusing that someone is in a vulnerable position are the prerequisites for it to be considered rape today.

Here we go again. The creepy nightclub crawlers will come out from under their rocks to explain how complicated it is to understand a slurring potentially underaged girl who can't keep her eyes opened or walk in a straight line and has no idea where her other shoe is.

But maybe she wants to fuck right now, who knows, right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slyphofspace View Post
    [snip]
    Expanding even further its a definition you can drive a Mack truck through and it raises serious concerns about bias and prejudice seeping in about how these laws are enforced. Everything and anything is no theoretically a serious criminal offence, thus whoever is out there deciding what is and isn't a criminal offence has considerable leeway to decide who to just destroy and who to let go.

Think of it like a web forum that has rules so broad and vague that really its just "Whatever the arbitrators of the rules decide is the rules, as there really isn't a rule".

Nobody is going to walk around with a sex contract all Dave Chappell style. Even if they did there is no way such a thing would be allowed or would hold up under such laws.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^^ for real I'd kinda be scurred to bang a chick in sweden for fear of her going psycho and claim rape

Consent is obvious... fuckers act like you need it in written form with voice recordings, if you are both in the moment it just happens there is automatic consent at some point unless she's like passed out or blatant rape as she tries to flee lol.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2018-03-20 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Expanding even further its a definition you can drive a Mack truck through and it raises serious concerns about bias and prejudice seeping in about how these laws are enforced. Everything and anything is no theoretically a serious criminal offence, thus whoever is out there deciding what is and isn't a criminal offence has considerable leeway to decide who to just destroy and who to let go.

Think of it like a web forum that has rules so broad and vague that really its just "Whatever the arbitrators of the rules decide is the rules, as there really isn't a rule".

Nobody is going to walk around with a sex contract all Dave Chappell style. Even if they did there is no way such a thing would be allowed or would hold up under such laws.
    Consent isn't the magically ungraspable concept you're falsely pretending it to be, here. All they did here was shift it from "lack of consent demonstrated by these three specific things" to "any lack of consent". Which isn't a huge shift; if anything, it's just closing an existing loophole.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-03-20 at 05:28 PM.

That's modern feminazism for ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Consent isn't the magically ungraspable concept you're falsely pretending it to be, here.
    The way people on MMO-C complain you'd think most people go around getting accused of rape constantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    From what I understand is about widening the legal definition. Before (probably amongst other things) violence, threats or some some sort of manipulation were needed to be counted as rape. After the new legislation simply failing to see signs of someone not wanting sex and not asking about it would be considered rape, despite not using any kind of force and the person not resisting in any way*. Which IMO seems likely to be abused.

*(though depending on circumstances a victim might not want/be able to resist due to fear)

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Why wouldn't it hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    That's modern feminazism for ya.
    Oh, do explain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    From what I understand is about widening the legal definition. Before (probably amongst other things) violence, threats or some some sort of manipulation were needed to be counted as rape. After the new legislation simply failing to see signs of someone not wanting sex and not asking about it would be considered rape, despite not using any kind of force and the person not resisting in any way*. Which IMO seems likely to be abused.

*(though depending on circumstances a victim might not want/be able to resist due to fear)
    There still has to be a lack of consent. Not consent that's regretted the day after. Not consent because you were a little bit tipsy. A lack of actually consenting to the act. It means that rather than having to prove the violence, threat of violence, or firmly establish that there was some exploitable vulnerability, the courts can focus just on the lack of consent.

The alternative is that there could be circumstances where there's a clear lack of consent, but because it didn't meet one of those three things, it wasn't classed as "rape", which seems atrocious.

Consent isn't that fucking complicated, folks.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Why wouldn't it hold up?
    because you are also entitled to change your mood next second. so unless the content last until everybody is clothed again, it isnt waterproof.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, generally speaking everyone understands what consent is other than sociopaths or whatever.

It's all the "retroactive consent" and "one-sided consent" and "unable to consent" that people don't understand. I mean, we've already seen people thrown under the bus - socially at least, if not yet criminally - because they had consensual sex with someone but later that someone claimed that because the "perpetrator" was just so rich that the consent didn't really count.

It's fuckin wacky-world out there with some people.
    People have intuitively known what consent is since forever, but there is an actively dedicated group that wishes to expand it in all directions. But the overall purpose is to create a legal and social culture whereby which any man who forever reason is accused by a woman, he can be disposed of quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    You could create a contract which you would need to put at least two forms of ID on, and some biometric data...
    Dave Chappell would ba prophet.

10+ Year Old Account
    People have intuitively known what consent is since forever, but there is an actively dedicated group that wishes to expand it in all directions. But the overall purpose is to create a legal and social culture whereby which any man who forever reason is accused by a woman, he can be disposed of quickly.
    Literally not what this story is about, in any respect whatsoever. There's no adjustment to what constitutes consent, here.