Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Angry Kaspersky, Russian intel front, spoils 6 year old US counter-islamic terrorism op.

Kaspersky, a company widely regarded by western Intelligence Agencies and corporations as a front for Russian cyber spying / intelligence gathering, exposed and as a result, ended a 6 year old US Military cyber operation aimed at ISIS and Al Qaeda.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ps/?comments=1

Considering this had no effect on Russian interests, this is particularly egregious, and an reminder that Russia, itself a state sponsor of terror, has no interest in actually fighting terrorism, and is not an ally of the West in its fight against ISIS, Al Qaeda, and Islamic Radicalism in general. We in the West should not pretend it is.

Next time someone says "We need Russia's help to do _______", remember, their front, just burned down a big US Military operation to fight terrorism. Actually support our troops when they do their missions, or shut the fuck up with patriotic nonsense.

And just a reminder, people somehow still using Kaspersky on their personal computer should re-evaluate their life choices. Really. It's the stupidiest thing you can do.

When's Russia going to get serious about actually fighting Islamic terrorism?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post

And just a reminder, people somehow still using Kaspersky on their personal computer should re-evaluate their life choices. Really. It's the stupidiest thing you can do.
    Just out of curiosity, what would a comparable security system be? I was looking into Kaspersky recently, and their system seems to be miles ahead of the competition in terms of actually predicting and learning behaviors rather than just using existing databases to look for threats.

Meh, US spreads malware, malware gets detected and exposed... it's not like you write "It's against terrorists, honest!" anywhere in code.

Malware is malware. Would you rather vet Kaspersky releases about malware to stop anything threatening US security operations? Wouldn't that actually reveal more to US adversaries like Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what would a comparable security system be? I was looking into Kaspersky recently, and their system seems to be miles ahead of the competition in terms of actually predicting and learning behaviors rather than just using existing databases to look for threats.
    There are tons of alternatives that are just as competitive (Avast, Avira rather long list) in combination with Malwarebytes, I don't see Kaspersky ahead on anything perhaps you just prefer their UI.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Guys, why do we even care if Russia meddled in our election? Russia is our friend!" - Conservatives 2016
    "The US will crash and burn thanks to Trump, and the era of US dominance will end. The US will never be a world power again, and their citizenry will fall into third world status." -Russiabot on this forum

If anyone every ever thought Russia was our ally because they aided Trump in getting elected, just fucking lol.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    There are tons of alternatives that are just as competitive (Avast, Avira rather long list) in combination with Malwarebytes, I don't see Kaspersky ahead on anything perhaps you just prefer their UI.
    Unless it was just marketing speak, their suite claimed to be predictive of behavior, while others just relied on looking for files. That's why I asked. Personally not a fan of their green, but Like I said, this seemed to me and maybe others not familiar with tech, would be better at stopping threats if it could predict and be proactive rather than reactive only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    "Guys, why do we even care if Russia meddled in our election? Russia is our friend!" - Conservatives 2016
    "The US will crash and burn thanks to Trump, and the era of US dominance will end. The US will never be a world power again, and their citizenry will fall into third world status." -Russiabot on this forum

If anyone every ever thought Russia was our ally because they aided Trump in getting elected, just fucking lol.
    "Okay but are we so better? Maybe its time we got a taste of our own medicine" - woke independents

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post

Hate to say this but many communities in almost every state in the US are as bad or worse off than some 3rd world countries in terms of infrastructure.

Sounds like an antivirus working as intended. Maybe if the US shared their own malwares with the Russians, they could be added as exceptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Sounds like an antivirus working as intended. Maybe if the US shared their own malwares with the Russians, they could be added as exceptions.
    The only malware sharing they should be doing with Russia is the kind that makes oil pipelines explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I support this notion.
    US pipelines don't need malware to do that though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Which isn't remotely relevant, but nice try. I'm referring to a specific incident that you'll deny happening because it doesn't look good having pirated American software riddled with malware to the point the CIA was able to exploit it.

Speaking of which, we really need to revive that technology embargo with Russia.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2018-03-21 at 09:40 PM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Which isn't remotely relevant, but nice try. I'm referring to a specific incident that you'll deny happening because it doesn't look good having pirated American software riddled with malware to the point the CIA was able to exploit it.
    You can always just link it and have everyone judge for themselves.

Speaking of which, we really need to revive that technology embargo with Russia.
    You never actually released it since USSR; you just changed names and proclaimed reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can always just link it and have everyone judge for themselves.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-pipeline.html

You never actually released it since USSR; you just changed names and proclaimed reasons.
    Oh, good. Seems like it's time to expand it to include general internet access, then.

Hmm, a few problems with that cool story - things weren't actually fully automated with "software" back then... that didn't happen until late 90's even in US. All information was relayed to dispatcher who made final decision.

KGB also was pretty paranoid about any software and had entire institutes devoted to analysing and rewriting it (and old software wasn't quite as complex as modern one).

There were a few incidents caused by deficiencies while building them; i guess CIA could use one of those to claim it was them doing it.

Oh, good. Seems like it's time to expand it to include general internet access, then.
    The only way to do that is to isolate US from everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, a few problems with that cool story
    "Russia could never do anything wrong, it can't be true".

How absolutely pathetic.

The only way to do that is to isolate US from everyone else.
    Nah, just get Europe and China on side for axing any transaction that involves a .ru domain.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Unless it was just marketing speak, their suite claimed to be predictive of behavior, while others just relied on looking for files. That's why I asked. Personally not a fan of their green, but Like I said, this seemed to me and maybe others not familiar with tech, would be better at stopping threats if it could predict and be proactive rather than reactive only.
    It's clever marketing most antivirus these days scan and monitor suspicious activities to some degree depending on the setting you put on the passive scan sensitivity. They don't have any secret sauce other antivirus programs don't but like I said the interface for some antivirus can be daunting to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    "Russia could never do anything wrong, it can't be true".

How absolutely pathetic.
    Could do no wrong? :/
    Where did you see "could do no wrong"? Pipelines did explode due to various defects and damage.

There was specific procedure in place to "copy everything Western" they got their hands on however, electronic or software.

Nah, just get Europe and China on side for axing any transaction that involves a .ru domain.
    Good luck getting China to agree while you threaten tariffs on them.

Being a front for Russian intelligence they have the distinct advantage of getting to directly work with large number of malware engineers.
    So do US intelligence agencies...

Which commercial antivirus softwares are produced by US intelligence fronts?
    Looks like it's Symantec, McAfee, and UK Sophos.