Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
    Fable: Lost Chapters

Damn I loved that game when I was a kid.
    Chicken chasa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    How well does Baldur's Gate hold up nowdays? I love Divinity, not a fan of PoE mostly cause I felt the combat sucked ass.
    Frankly Baldurs Gate Trilogy and Planescape are still the pinnacle of RPGS. If you want depth play them. If you only care about graphics have fun missing out on the vast majority of RPG and JRPG games in creation

- - - Updated - - -

No one mentioned Fallout 2 or Morrowind. Yall need better taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    For old school:

1-Phantasy Star series

2-Chrono Trigger

3-Final Fantasy 5/6

4-Shining Force

5-Suikoden series (specially the first two games in the ps1)

For Modern :

1-Dark Souls series (including Bloodborne)

2-YS series (the remastered version of the steam pc release)

3-Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind

4-Witcher 3

5-Tales series specially Berseria and Symphonia

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Skyrim or Fallout 3. Pokemon for JRPGs. Accessible, pretty decent quality, decently deep RPG systems. If someone's never played an RPG a lot of the things we take for granted may be completely foreign to them. So I think games like Dark Souls or Final Fantasy may be a little too much.

For everyone who had Witcher 3 and dark souls/bloodborne in your answer, congratulations you win the thread.

You can collect your prize shortly

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Low numbers with HP and attacking.

Simple battle system with depth.

Great story.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga also works in similar ways.

Same thing with Super Mario RPG, but with older turn based Square RPGs.

It depends on what other kinds of games they prefer. For example, if they prefer games with lots of strategy or tactics, then I'd show them Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre; maybe even Ogre Battle, but that's more strategy than RPG. It also depends on how far back they are willing to go, graphically. Ultima VII Complete is quite amazing, but if you didn't play in that era it may be hard to get past the graphics; the same could be said for Wizardry VI-VIII, which is an absolutely fantastic trilogy of games that will take hundreds of hours to complete.

Some of my personal favorites (skipping the titles I have already mentioned):
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura
    Baldur's Gate Trilogy
    Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Age: Origins (though I'd steer FAR away from the sequels)
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Knight of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (esp 2 with the patch that restores all of the missing content)
    Krynn Trilogy (the old Gold Box AD&D games)
    Lunar I & II
    Planescape: Torment
    Pool of Radiance (another gold Box AD&D game)
    Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
    Ultima IV (the one that started it all, IMO)
    Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Ys Books I & II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    What RPGs would you recommend for non RPG gamers? What are the easiest RPGs?
    Skyrim. Just jump in, and do whatever you want. Enjoy.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It'd entirely depend on what sort of games they have been used of playing before, there's no one clear-cut answer.
    This totally. That said, I'd recommend from this list:

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
    Pokemon Black and White
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Trails of Cold Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    It depends on what other kinds of games they prefer. For example, if they prefer games with lots of strategy or tactics, then I'd show them Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre; maybe even Ogre Battle, but that's more strategy than RPG. It also depends on how far back they are willing to go, graphically. Ultima VII Complete is quite amazing, but if you didn't play in that era it may be hard to get past the graphics; the same could be said for Wizardry VI-VIII, which is an absolutely fantastic trilogy of games that will take hundreds of hours to complete.

Some of my personal favorites (skipping the titles I have already mentioned):
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magik Obscura
    Baldur's Gate Trilogy
    Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Age: Origins (though I'd steer FAR away from the sequels)
    Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Knight of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (esp 2 with the patch that restores all of the missing content)
    Krynn Trilogy (the old Gold Box AD&D games)
    Lunar I & II
    Planescape: Torment
    Pool of Radiance (another gold Box AD&D game)
    Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
    Ultima IV (the one that started it all, IMO)
    Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Ys Books I & II
    A man of fine taste.
    But really you could throw nihon falcoms entire game catalogue on that list.

Final Fantasy 6-10
    Chrono Trigger
    Grandia II

Thought I'd mention some JRPGS as there hasn't been much mention of them, and I feel they are among the best games one could put time into.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I think Skyrim would be a good choice. It's got that mix of FPS, shooter, and RPG in a nice blend and it's easy to get into.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

Witcher 3, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption. Most other games are subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Witcher 3, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption. Most other games are subpar.
    Only 1 of those you listed is an RPG though.

Red Dead and GTA 5 are Action Adventure games with open world elements.

Also tbh I kinda got bored of GTA 5 after finishing the story and doing a lot of the Online stuff. Does get regular content updates though I'll give it that.

As for Red Dead keep meaning to try it but so busy with retro stuff atm I keep getting sidetracked.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-03-23 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Only 1 of those you listed is an RPG though.

Red Dead and GTA 5 are Action Adventure games with open world elements.

Also tbh I kinda got bored of GTA 5 after finishing the story and doing a lot of the Online stuff. Does get regular content updates though I'll give it that.

As for Red Dead keep meaning to try it but so busy with retro stuff atm I keep getting sidetracked.
    You follow the role and play as a character through story acrs. That is more RPG than the choose your own adventure Goosebumps storytelling that most implement these days. They aren't fantasy games which I believe a lot of people consider to be the only RPGs, but the games have better dialogue and story than many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    You follow the role and play as a character through story acrs. That is more RPG than the choose your own adventure Goosebumps storytelling that most implement these days. They aren't fantasy games which I believe a lot of people consider to be the only RPGs, but the games have better dialogue and story than many others.
    And you are entitled to your opinion.

But their genre is clearly listed as "action adventure".

Witcher is most definitely an RPG though no denying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Final Fantasy 6-10
    Chrono Trigger
    Grandia II

Thought I'd mention some JRPGS as there hasn't been much mention of them, and I feel they are among the best games one could put time into.
    Play Legend of heroes series.

Youre welcome!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    How well does Baldur's Gate hold up nowdays? I love Divinity, not a fan of PoE mostly cause I felt the combat sucked ass.
    Too hardcore, RPG newbies won't hold onto an aged game with open use of D&D rules. It's easier to get into a sword that does 15-26 damage than a sword that deals 1D8+2 damage.

I would start with Dragon Age Origins. It's excellent, fairly easy to get into while still holding onto a lot of classic RPG elements.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    A man of fine taste.
    But really you could throw nihon falcoms entire game catalogue on that list.
    I recently added a bunch of the Ys games to my catalog, as well as the first Tales in the Sky (I think that's the one). Been having that JRPG itch, and I've heard good things about these.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to go old school

Shining Force 1 & 2
    Phantasy Star 4
    Final Fantasy IV, V and VI
    Chrono Trigger
    Secret of Mana

Just to name a few!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki