Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Special Snowflakes and Millennials

Special snowflakes are an especially needy and sad kind of people according to the people who employ these kind of titles. Most of the times it's millennial who get blamed for being a special snowflake. It made me wonder where it came from seeing as I don't see millennials as having a monopoly on acting like snowflakes. And when talking to people, especially older people (70+) they do not at all share this sentiment. They do not see any generation as being particularly snowflaky.

Yet in today's media it's very cool to just blame millennials for a lot of bad and/or stupid things, looking at the kind of people that do such things you generally find people between the age of 40 and 50 and sometimes the truly snowflaky millennial blaming his own generation. What makes people of this age so angry? Is it a pampered generation at odds with themselves coming to the realization that they didn't matter as much as they always thought, the proverbial thawing of the snowflake; the realization they're all just droplets of water in a vast ocean of blandness.

What if there is merit to the snowflake debacle, what will happen to the youngest generation when the millennials begin to thaw?

The real question is, has there ever been a generation that DIDN'T act like entitled snowflakes? At the end of the day, people are individuals and you can only experience life through your own eyes, who the hell is just going to be content to put their head down and be a silent and obedient worker drone? Sure, in the past people did do that, but what gets overlooked is that they didn't exactly do this willingly.

Generally baby boomers are spoiled and entitled brats that are angry at the younger generation(s) because they aren't doing the same things they once did. Millennials and such aren't wasting cash on stupid overpriced crap like boomers did, so those companies are dying off cause of capitalism, thus, millennial are the worst thing ever for killing things the boomers once enjoyed. As for the "snowflake" thing, every generation ever has been overly sensitive over something, but they forget about it because they got too old to remember/"what we did was different" kind of thing. Just social media made it so everyone can be louder about it, including those that constantly bitch and moan about "snowflakes".

Each generation was seen as “special snowflakes”(or some other name) by some before them.

Peace

Snowflakes and millenials are a meme, it doesn't have any true meaning.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Entitlement and a poor upbringing is why so many millennials are so easily butthurt and get mad over things that aren't even worth worrying about. I mean, as a millennial, I care more about wealth inequality and the fact that we have the work ten times harder than our parents did and not really get any further ahead. I wouldn't waste my time with the crap most of these kids are protesting about, most of this social justice stuff is a huge waste of time and reeks of first world problems.

Baby boomers are generally the worst breed of special snowflakes.

They had life on easy mode and now are shitting on millenials because they aren't achieving as much even though they had to work ten times as hard to get anything done,besides,they refuse to accept any younger person doing things differently than them

Then again,most of the SJW retards are not millenials,but fall mostly in the 20-30 years old range

I mean arent we all special snowflakes, we all have different DNA i dont get the issue

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Special snowflakes are an especially needy and sad kind of people according to the people who employ these kind of titles. Most of the times it's millennial who get blamed for being a special snowflake. It made me wonder where it came from seeing as I don't see millennials as having a monopoly on acting like snowflakes. And when talking to people, especially older people (70+) they do not at all share this sentiment. They do not see any generation as being particularly snowflaky.

Yet in today's media it's very cool to just blame millennials for a lot of bad and/or stupid things, looking at the kind of people that do such things you generally find people between the age of 40 and 50 and sometimes the truly snowflaky millennial blaming his own generation. What makes people of this age so angry? Is it a pampered generation at odds with themselves coming to the realization that they didn't matter as much as they always thought, the proverbial thawing of the snowflake; the realization they're all just droplets of water in a vast ocean of blandness.

What if there is merit to the snowflake debacle, what will happen to the youngest generation when the millennials begin to thaw?
    Yeah most of the time I see the actual snowflakes are the ones that constantly complain about snowflakes. Very rarely is it ever the people they accuse, but them themselves that are sitting there getting "triggered" and calling for the things they insult others over.

its a north american cultural issue. people feel like they deserve things from working when in reality you dont deserve anything at all, you are just fortunate enough to live in a society that rewards hard work. plenty of cultures have hard work with little to no reward, and when there is a system of reward vs hard work people feel entitled to a consistent reward based on their perceived efforts.

no reward = whining = entitlement.

One day you'll be old enough to twig that the "millennials" stereotype is exactly what every generation accuses the subsequent generation of being once they reach a certain age. 20 years from now Millennials will be middle aged and complaining about those darn kids in the next generation and how they're all uppity and don't know their place, not like they used to be I tell you whut...

I still remember when Gen X were the "special snowflakes". All these articles you're reading now about how these kids are soft, have no respect for their elders and need to get off our lawns... they're on a repeat cycle from 30 years ago.

I bet the parents of the "Greatest Generation" considered them all to be a bunch of shiftless loafers with no gumption.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2018-03-24 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

There was a "greatest generation." But plenty of today's generations refuse to believe in that and prefer to throw mud at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There was a "greatest generation." But plenty of today's generations refuse to believe in that and prefer to throw mud at them.
    I think we need another world war so we can put drafting in place and force them into the army so they can grow a spine, instead of living in "Mom Hotel", eating avocado bread and drinking soy milk.
    And maybe have them find a purpose in life, because they sure as hell don't seem to have any other than to live.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2018-03-24 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    I think we need another world war so we can put drafting in place and force them into the army so they can grow a spine.
    That's just it. The example of the Greatest Generation...that where we had people that lived through the deprivation of the Great Depression and then within a decade deliberately enlisted to fight in WWII, not because they had, but because they wanted to. Because they had thought it was the right thing to do. I have to wonder if today, if too many people are ignorant of what the right thing is...because they don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    its a north american cultural issue. people feel like they deserve things from working when in reality you dont deserve anything at all, you are just fortunate enough to live in a society that rewards hard work. plenty of cultures have hard work with little to no reward, and when there is a system of reward vs hard work people feel entitled to a consistent reward based on their perceived efforts.

no reward = whining = entitlement.
    I think some of it stems from opinions like this. Just working hard doesn't reward these days; I work just under 40 hours a week (scheduled 39.5 hours next week, for example) and work my ass off in a kitchen in 100+ degree (F) heat scrubbing as a closer to make sure everything is perfect for the next day's open only to be rewarded with minimum wage and poor treatment (safety equipment missing, running out of necessary supplies for cooking/cleaning) when I worked a warehouse job before this which I found to be much easier work in a nicer environment that also paid 2 dollars an hour more because I knew somebody to get that job. I stepped into a night job to spend more time with my kids during the day and now I'm working harder for less money.

Working hard doesn't earn much of anything these days; it's more about who you know over what you know or how hard you work any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    Working hard doesn't earn much of anything these days; it's more about who you know over what you know or how hard you work any more.
    Yeah, I can see how that'd make a person bitter. Especially since in prior decades simply working hard did indeed pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
    I think some of it stems from opinions like this. Just working hard doesn't reward these days; I work just under 40 hours a week (scheduled 39.5 hours next week, for example) and work my ass off in a kitchen in 100+ degree (F) heat scrubbing as a closer to make sure everything is perfect for the next day's open only to be rewarded with minimum wage and poor treatment (safety equipment missing, running out of necessary supplies for cooking/cleaning) when I worked a warehouse job before this which I found to be much easier work in a nicer environment that also paid 2 dollars an hour more because I knew somebody to get that job. I stepped into a night job to spend more time with my kids during the day and now I'm working harder for less money.

my point is that these jobs are all over the world with less reward and less luxury in terms of lifestyle at the end of the day. but in america its seen as an affront to human existence to even have to work a job like this much less have a reward that is not as great as they would like. working hard alone has never been that rewarding in human existence, it's a recent phenomenon. hard work is the bare minimum for human existence.

Deleted
    I'm an 80s baby..The biggest gripe I have with society today is social media, imo it has created sheep incapable of independent thought. Celebrity (popular people on twitter, fb etc) opinions are now treated as facts and lapped up by the masses whether right or wrong, god help you if you happen to disagree...

I see it all the time in young people, they lack a certain mental toughness - for me this is a snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    my point is that these jobs are all over the world with less reward and less luxury in terms of lifestyle at the end of the day. but in america its seen as an affront to human existence to even have to work a job like this much less have a reward that is not as great as they would like. working hard alone has never been that rewarding in human existence, it's a recent phenomenon. hard work is the bare minimum for human existence.
    You're not understanding because you don't live in the US.

It's not about "reward" or "luxury," it's about getting the basics to survive on; having a roof over your head, food on the table (assuming you have a table), and cheap clothing, and essentially keeping warm when it's freezing outside.