Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    Yep, there is something deeply morbid if you think about it. All those great armies, conquering countless worlds, falling to mere mortal adventurers.

Perhaps we are children of the Outer Gods and we dance to their mad hymns.
    The Void made a terrible miscalculation when it permitted the Old Gods to intermingle essential chaotic Void energy with the ordered Arcane constructs of the Titans' devising. Something about the combination of these essences gave rise to beings who incarnate all of the universe's essential essences (us) and are capable of feats beyond the Void Lords, the Titans, the Naaru, or the demons of the Twisting Nether. Algalon briefly alluded to this on his defeat by us, and it is likely why he remains observing us as things continue to progress on Azeroth.

I like to think of every Champion of Azeroth as a nascent deity in the making - slowly, surely, and inexorably growing in power until they burst forth on the Warcraft universe as the new demigods (for better or worse).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Yep, there is something deeply morbid if you think about it. All those great armies, conquering countless worlds, falling to mere mortal adventurers.

Perhaps we are children of the Outer Gods and we dance to their mad hymns.
    The first Chronicle actually has explained that. The curse of flesh gave the titan's creations mortal qualities such as heroism that would backfire against the Old Gods.

Also, since this Chronicle gets to the events of World of Warcraft, it discusses the players a lot, and we're not just adventurers. The player characters have a lot of backgrounds, and it's considered that a large number of them are canonical. Ahn'qiraj was assaulted by a joint Alliance and Horde force led by Saurfang, with many player characters among the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    The first Chronicle actually has explained that. The curse of flesh gave the titan's creations mortal qualities such as heroism that would backfire against the Old Gods.

Also, since this Chronicle gets to the events of World of Warcraft, it discusses the players a lot, and we're not just adventurers. The player characters have a lot of backgrounds, and it's considered that a large number of them are canonical. Ahn'qiraj was assaulted by a joint Alliance and Horde force led by Saurfang, with many player characters among the army.
    Eh at least they explained it. I usually am not that big fan of "super hero" stuff in my fantasy, but I guess that's the only way to explain how we've managed to accomplish what we've accomplished. Either that or pretend we don't exist and address us as part of collective, which would bring it's own set of problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Void made a terrible miscalculation when it permitted the Old Gods to intermingle essential chaotic Void energy with the ordered Arcane constructs of the Titans' devising. Something about the combination of these essences gave rise to beings who incarnate all of the universe's essential essences (us) and are capable of feats beyond the Void Lords, the Titans, the Naaru, or the demons of the Twisting Nether. Algalon briefly alluded to this on his defeat by us, and it is likely why he remains observing us as things continue to progress on Azeroth.

I like to think of every Champion of Azeroth as a nascent deity in the making - slowly, surely, and inexorably growing in power until they burst forth on the Warcraft universe as the new demigods (for better or worse).
    Precisely.

Although this can also signal the true horror, that our characters are fundamentally a "complete beings", holding every possible essential essence that the cosmos can offer.

Or perhaps we are not the children of the Outer Gods but Azathoth itself, a "complete being" as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, they should have never brought Lovecraftian element into Warcraft world to begin with, for it just appears comical here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    So, the Horde killed Zul'jin. Guess I don't have to worry about the Amani joining us anymore. Woo hoo!

Honestly, they should have never brought Lovecraftian element into Warcraft world to begin with, for it just appears comical here.
    I agree, but largely because it seems to be a crutch for a lot of modern authors. All three of Blizzard's original big three franchises have dipped into it at some point now, too, which reduces the distinction between them for no reason. The final villain in Starcraft II was all Void this and Void that, and the last area added into Diablo III was all Lovecraftian rather than demonic.

I don't really see it as comical in Warcraft though. The Void are an immensely powerful enemy that has been the driving force of pretty much every bad thing to happen in the Warcraft universe. Also, while this Chronicle showed many of their defeats, it also showed how much they've been a threat and how much they continue to be. They helped break the Alliance apart after the Second War, and they continue to make sure that the Alliance and Horde stay at each other's throats. Indirectly, they're even responsible for things like the Purge of Dalaran and Jaina hating the Horde, because they made sure to drive a wedge between the blood elves and the Alliance.

We are also special. An important conceit of the story post-Chronicles, is that Azeroth is the most important known place in the universe, thanks to the sheer power of its world-soul. That has supposedly affected the life on its surface, as well. Even despite that, though, the Void as a whole has held onto Azeroth after everything we've thrown at it and that's just talking about some of its servants. If a more direct source of the Void Lords ever reached us, we'd still be in big trouble.

Sure, we'd probably defeat it in the end, but what's the alternative? You'd have to delete everyone's characters and say the Warcraft franchise is gone forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoth Ur View Post
    Eh at least they explained it. I usually am not that big fan of "super hero" stuff in my fantasy, but I guess that's the only way to explain how we've managed to accomplish what we've accomplished. Either that or pretend we don't exist and address us as part of collective, which would bring it's own set of problems.
    I appreciate it because it's still pretty subtle. It's a nudge to help explain why the people of Azeroth have survived things like the Legion that have erased other worlds, but the descriptions of player actions is not treated as unusually more powerful than anything else. We're simply just a newer army to be confronting these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    So, the Horde killed Zul'jin. Guess I don't have to worry about the Amani joining us anymore. Woo hoo!
    Well the Revantusk forest trolls are still Horde. ;P
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2018-03-28 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Well the Revantusk forest trolls are still Horde. ;P
    Hopefully they'll get killed off.

Either way, if they don't care about Zul'jin dying then they probably don't care about anything beyond their village. I can't see a race with no ambitions becoming playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwento View Post
    So... Anyone can say what exactly happens in ZG? Are Zandalari a part of the force that kills Hakkar or just watching from the side? And if it’s the second then why?
    The Cenarion Circle sends the Alliance to deal with the attempt to summon Hakkar in the Sunken Temple, and the Zandalari are pleased. But then the Atal'ai infiltrate Zul'Gurub to try again. Local trolls try to stop them, but are enslaved. The Zandalari apparently realize they don't have the resources to scour Zul'Gurub in time, so they send word to the Darkspear trolls. Thrall understands the threat and sends a Horde force to clear out Zul'Gurub.

Zul'Aman happens the first time because the Horde forces are busy in Outland. Zul'jin hoped to take advantage of the blood elves being busy to wipe out Quel'thalas, especially since he figured their new allies on the Horde would help them to wipe out the Amani once they got back. The forces the Horde could spare weren't enough to raid the whole place, but sneaking in and killing Zul'jin was enough to avert the invasion.

During the Cataclysm, the Zandalari faced natural disasters and an "enemy from the past", so a "mysterious prophet", Zul, convinced some followers to reunite the trolls. Vol'jin responded by working with the Horde and Alliance to crush Zul's attempts in Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Please don't. Every time death and old god appear in the same sentece the end is dozens of pages of pointless argument that does not resolve anything.

The short answer is: Yes, they are dead.

The long asnwer is: Yes, they are dead but we cannot be sure if death means the same thing for them as it does for average mortals.
    I think the true answer should be: Death in WoW is like death in any fiction. It can change at a moments notice on the whim of those in charge of the story and for any reason. Ressurection, faked death or it was all a dream.

I got Volume 3 5 days ago and well i am glad the Volume 3 finally confirms and lays to rest this whole Arthas & Nerzhul thing. I always said Arthas got corrupted and got this "evil" Arthas side. When he put on the helmet he killed his original good self (the little boy) and he destroyed Ner'zhul. So it leaves only the evil Arthas in control and he became the Lich King. I can recommend to you guys Christie Goldens Arthas - Rise of the Lich King book. It's very good. And explain it all. Instead of being just a summarise.

And in the end when he asks Terenas "Father? Is it... Over?" it's the Arthas before he took up Frostmourne. The real Arthas. It's like he was waking up from a nightmare. Really really tragic stuff.

Only weird and questionable thing is, i dont play WoW myself (i ended at Wotlk) but Lich King says "I was once a shaman". I guess we should just ignore he ever said that. Evil Arthas would not say that.

Nothing about the Scarlet Crusade? With the time period covered, I would have thought they'd get at least mentioned somewhere.

So basicly... we are Nephalem... Makes me sad they have gone so low as to be copying lore from Diablo... as if gameplay wasn't enough!
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Deleted
    Given what's happened to every antagonist in WoW, would you want to come out if Horde and Alliance champions were thunderbusting through your lair? If I were N'Zoth I would probably hide myself in the Shadowlands and manipulate events from somewhere where the only way to get to me was to die first.
    They might actually pull something like that at the end of BfA as the lead to the next expansion.

Cho'gall resurrecting C'thun isn't even mentioned.
    It seems to be written off. Instead of attempting to res C'thun, Cho travelled to Northrend during BC to set Yogg free. That's how I understand that.

But, would it make Aegwynn possibly alive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    So basicly... we are Nephalem... Makes me sad they have gone so low as to be copying lore from Diablo... as if gameplay wasn't enough!
    Well, possibly we're like Diablo 3's Nephalem - I mean, this is just a hypothesis that I have not necessarily an ironclad fact of the lore. But our ability to thunderbust through every obstacle ever: from monsters to demons to demigods to incarnated forces of nature pretty much seems like it puts us in that tier of being.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Please no, don't turn the Azerothians into the Nephalem like people of the diablo universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Please no, don't turn the Azerothians into the Nephalem like people of the diablo universe.
    Well, I don't think I'm the one doing it - the developers seem to be the ones doing it and I'm just picking up on that design. I could be wrong, though; and it's probably best to proceed as if I am wrong if that's not an outcome you think you'd enjoy.

I'm not sure what I think about it myself, but it's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Sadly, I think we've already headed that way the moment they started acknowledging players in lore. Would've been better imo if they just addressed everything we did as part of the group/faction that spearheaded the whole thing. Not saying it would be perfect, but at least it would tone down on DBZ like stuff.

Naxxramas was an Alliance victory, with the Argent Dawn gathering up Alliance champions by the dozens to strike into the citadel and end the threat of Kel'thuzad.
    So they dropped Darion's story (from the comics)? Shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    So they dropped Darion's story (from the comics)? Shame.
    It's kind of referred to, as in Darion secures the Corrupted Ashbringer from Naxxramas and then uses it to kill himself and in so doing frees the spirit of Alexandros from the blade's curse. I don't know if *all* the events of the comic still occurred as portrayed, but some of them seem to have. The general line of thinking is that unless contradicted or positively de-canonized elsewhere (i.e. a developer panel or tweet) the comic series remain canon.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-03-29 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    In Mist, hadn't the Zandalari successfully united all the troll tribes (including the Amani) except the Darkspear? Just saying Zandalari customization should be as robust as the new Mag'har Orcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.