Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This is why I don't raid outside of LFR and solo... The unending ridiculous arbitrary rules imposed with tyrannical vigor
    Yes this is the reason

Everything that takes longer than 3-5 minutes and can be planned in advance should be done before or after a group activity in an mmo. Breaks that can't be avoided should be announced when starting and not seconds before going afk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Yes this is the reason
    Yes, raiding isn't exactly difficult in WoW

Now im going to speak for my lovely heroic raiding guild

How long do you give someone who says BRB when in a raid?: 5 minutes and then you get kicked

How long of a bathroom break do you give? We raid 2 hours 2 days a week and the break is 10 minutes

How many warnings do you give about excessive chatter either on Voice or in Text? We rarely have this issue but there have been a few times where people were drinking and got shit faced and we politely tell them not to do this again/end the raid early.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Hey, I did that too

Always managed to be the one in charge, commanding my minions muhahaha.
    I don't have any authority or charisma so nobody really obeyed me.

Maybe I should start a raiding guild?

1. 5 mins BRB. This goes for all online multiplayer games as well - if somebody in SC2 ladder says "pp" and pauses, they get 5 mins before I unpause and go kill them.

2. I don't distinguish between regular BRB and bathroom breaks. 5 mins at a time. Don't be going afk constantly. Don't be that guy who always goes AFK for trash and comes back just for the bosses.

3. If your chatter is pissing off other people in the chat, or preventing the leader from giving instructions to people trying to pay attention, you are muted. If this is happening in text chat, you are kicked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

How long do you give someone who says BRB when in a raid?

They had better say why before they leave and judge on that, things happen, otherwise start looking for a replacement immediately.

How long of a bathroom break do you give?

3m

How many warnings do you give about excessive chatter either on Voice or in Text?

2, third is time out (mute).

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoopid Aik View Post
    The general rule of thumb is to treat others how you would like to be treated.
    This. When you are online in a game or whatever, there is a real person on the other side of the char or forum name user. How they respond will tell a lot about the person. I try to treat everyone with respect and the immature who act like spoiled kids or total jerks, I avoid and ignore. Same way in real life.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

How many warnings do you give about excessive chatter either on Voice or in Text?

These are all questions my GM has to deal with. As a main raider, all I have to do is basic fight research, don't screw up, and do dps.

I ain't gotta worry about all that other stuff.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah this is a good policy for life in general, too bad some people have a permanently broken empathy button.
    Treat yourself like you want others to treat you is a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Online gaming etiquette?

I don't think there is an official place to look up the uniformed rules for this, but I thought I would ask because, I think every now and again especially when I used to raid in Online games what the Online gaming etiquette is. So I thought I would ask, what are the over all rules as each of us interprets them as we play online either MMO's RPG's. PC, or Console.

If you are worried about these questions, answers should be sorted out by the group in advance of raiding. There is no right answer here other than the answers everyone in the group agrees to follow.

Incidentally, I don't think any of these are really gaming etiquette. Gaming etiquette is coming to an agreement on things like this in the first place so people don't get stupid.

I haven't led raids since MoP (and serious raids since Wrath), but based on how I handled things then...

Depends. I led 10 man teams myself from BC-MoP and followed in 25 mans in BC/Wrath. When I led we had a pretty tight schedule, some xpacs I'd have a group that raided one night a week and some xpacs 2, so we had to maximize our time. I didn't have many instances of "BRB" in the middle of a raid because we had a couple of set breaks. I did have a smoker who I eventually permanently replaced because he'd literally want a 5 minute break every 15 minutes to go have a cigarette, and usually it ended up being a 10-15+ minute break because he'd end up calling someone on the phone and chatting and having 2-3 cigs while everyone sat around and waited for him. Everyone liked him and he was a good guildy, but that was really fucking inconsiderate and he wasn't willing to cut back. With everyone else I was cool about an arbitrary "BRB" because it was always something that really couldn't wait and it never became a pattern. A few times if something was really serious and the person wouldn't come back, they just let me know and I brought in someone to fill the spot for the night. Wasn't a big deal.

From what I remember we did two 5 minute breaks for a 3 hour raid. One of our members had a medical condition and constantly had UTIs and couldn't go much longer than an hour without using the bathroom. She was an excellent raider and never abused it though, so we didn't mind.

This almost never happened in the 10 man groups that I led, but I remember it being a problem in 25 man runs where I was just a rando raider. My group carved through stuff at a pretty good pace and occasionally it got too casual and we'd end up wiping on trash a few times or just playing sloppy because people were joking too much and I was having a hard time calling stuff out and I had to ask everyone to quiet down til we executed, but it was never like I was ordering everyone around. Other people might step in too before I did and laughingly say "alright guys, let's focus!" It was a great group and I don't remember any raised voices or fights during a single raid during those xpacs. After MoP everyone quit tho. =(

The 25 man leaders handled it differently depending on the personality of the raid leader. Some yelled (not a particularly effective or endearing strat), others just asked politely for people to quiet down. One guild I was in completely restricted voicechat to the raid lead, healing lead, and GM (for some reason? He was a random dps and never contributed any useful info but talked a lot regardless) and that wasn't effective either because individuals weren't allowed to call shit out themselves and the people who were allowed to speak often weren't really on top of things.

*At the end of the day it's a game, and you have to find a team that's a good fit for you. I tried to run off-night stuff that was more casual for guildies who couldn't/wouldn't abide by the "strict" rules that the main 10 man group followed (basic time management shit and not ducking out every 5 minutes), but in alt runs it always ended up being ~4-5 main raiders who just wanted to bring an alt on a casual night and joke around and 5-6 of our more casual members who just wanted to see the raids. It was fun and if someone had to do a quick afk we usually had no problem 8 or 9 manning the content unless we were tackling heroic stuff. Point being, I didn't consider the people who were super casual and didn't wanna commit to a 3 hour raid with only 1-2 breaks as bad people or anything, but I certainly wasn't going to handicap my progression runs with constant 5-10 minute breaks. There'd be no point in even zoning in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the game, if it's Hots start off cooperating until you learn they don't wanna play ball then simply turn off chat and do your own thing.

Let's start with "stop using racial slurs" and work from there.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This is why I don't raid outside of LFR and solo... The unending ridiculous arbitrary rules imposed with tyrannical vigor
    I cant tell if trolling or seriously sad.

"Unending ridiculous arbitrary rules imposed with tyrannical vigor" Are for for real ??

What kind of cesspool guilds have u been raiding with? I know some guilds are real bad, but thats the only the tiny minority.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I first started playing online. The game I started out with had 1 lobby/ chat channel, completly without any forms of moderation. The system was later expanded to have a wopping 3 chat lobbies.. (As in you had barrens chat, barrens chat 2 and barrens chat 3).
    Naturally it was absolute cancer.
    Back in 2004? (I think). A few players came up with the idea of a "code of honor"
    The rules they came up with, with the first year signers;

All of the best players of the community would eventually end up signing. But did it work? Oh hell no LOL.
    Still for all the toxicity it was never black or white and easily the best community I have ever played with.

- - - Updated - - -

Also relevant LOOOOOOL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    I cant tell if trolling or seriously sad.

"Unending ridiculous arbitrary rules imposed with tyrannical vigor" Are for for real ??

What kind of cesspool guilds have u been raiding with? I know some guilds are real bad, but thats the only the tiny minority.
    The requirements so many put up