Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Upright Horde races, eh?

Everybody's talking about orcs getting spinal surgery at the barber shop, and trolls at least getting a sub race that don't slouch...
    We've even heard from devs in interviews with little "jokes" about undead getting to stand up straight and tall...

While I'm over here wondering if my favorite race will ever not be (total) hunchbacks, and instead get to look this bad-ass:
    (this has probably been brought up before, many times, but who can keep track?)
    (Yes, I know that's Baine, and he's getting a unique model)

Let's face it, a lot of people refuse to play Tauren specifically because of the hunch, and because it's pretty hard to find a decent looking t-mog for the helm slot.
    It's also damn near impossible to really see tabard, chest, or shirt items on the tauren model, depending on braids and whatnot.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

i dont think taurens are hunched, i think their backs just look like that
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont think taurens are hunched, i think their backs just look like that
    Doesn't really change that a lot of people don't like that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I don't think they will do it for Tauren simply because they would be even bigger than they are now. Their collision already causes trouble at certain spots as-is.

That being said, I would support straight backs for any Horde race, including Tauren and Blood Elves.

The good news is, Blizzard seem to finally have realized that just by removing the hunch, they make even old races a lot more attractive for players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

As long as the hunch remains a choice, fine. Can't stand those straight-backed prissy elves. Get offa my Horde, you!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    yeah but alot of the reasoning for straight orcs is that before wow, and for certain characters in wow, all the orcs except for the lowly peons stood upright including in art. having playable orcs be hunched essentially insinuated that we were nothing but lowly peons, and zandalari requests didnt really happen until they retconned their appearance, before that forest trolls were what alot of troll fans wanted.

tauren already stand upright

they have that humb because cows in real life have them. and before now you're the only person ive ever seen complain about it.

helms looking shitty ive heard tons of times, same with worgen. but ive never once seen someone say "tauren should stand upright" because they already do
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Horde races definitely need it more than others, but it would be cool if they kept this up and turned it into different "stances" you could take with various races. Give yourself a more haughty, aloof appearance as a night elf or take an aggressive, forward stance as a blood elf, for instance. I know that's kind of a pipe dream considering the amount of animations they would probably have to make for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully, there are many other options to choose from other than tauren.

yeah but alot of the reasoning for straight orcs is that before wow, and for certain characters in wow, all the orcs except for the lowly peons stood upright including in art. having playable orcs be hunched essentially insinuated that we were nothing but lowly peons, and zandalari requests didnt really happen until they retconned their appearance, before that forest trolls were what alot of troll fans wanted.

they have that humb because cows in real life have them. and before now you're the only person ive ever seen complain about it.

helms looking shitty ive heard tons of times, same with worgen. but ive never once seen someone say "tauren should stand upright" because they already do
    Hes not saying stand upright hes saying remove the hump-back and put the head above the shoulders like in the artwork or even like the female Tauren you have in your picture.

Im all for this aswell, Warcraft is weird with some of its more beastial races giving them all humps. For some it works like Quilboars but others its terrible like the Furbolg. As long as there is an option to play as a classic humped Tauren than I think its a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tauren already stand upright, it's the way they're designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my issue with that thought: Tauren female, while still having a sort of "hump" to their back, have a much less pronounced version. The image I shared in the first post still has a bit of a hump, but it's not ridiculous-looking and would much more closely match what the female tauren have.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, cows don't have a hump at a 90 degree angle.... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kresh64 View Post
    Hes not saying stand upright hes saying remove the hump-back and put the head above the shoulders like in the artwork or even like the female Tauren you have in your picture.

Im all for this aswell, Warcraft is weird with some of its more beastial races giving them all humps. For some it works like Quilboars but others its terrible like the Furbolg. As long as there is an option to play as a classic humped Tauren than I think its a good idea.
    even in the artwork he has the humb, its just slightly obscured by the headdress. theres never been a depiction of humpless male tauren. its a defining bovine feature and its prominent in pretty much all depictions of Minotaur creatures in fantasy

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my issue with that thought: Tauren female, while still having a sort of "hump" to their back, have a much less pronounced version. The image I shared in the first post still has a bit of a hump, but it's not ridiculous-looking and would much more closely match what the female tauren have.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, cows don't have a hump at a 90 degree angle.... just saying.
    thats because its a feature of male bovines. thats like saying a female human doesnt have an adams apple or male orcs dont have boobs

- - - Updated - - -

his headdress is blocking most of his hump

same is true of his new model

its not that its smaller, its the illusion of it being covered

10+ Year Old Account
    The artwork I linked definitely has much less hump than any of the images you showed, and is directly from the loading screen. It's still there and he's still clearly and obviously bovine-inspired as a species.

I don't see why you'd be against such a change. And if you've never heard other people complain about it, it's because you probably don't play with many people who love their tauren.

(Which isn't surprising: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census...ervertypeid=-1 )

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one that DOESN'T have a weird spine.
    Any time I've seen this subject broached on any online community (especially reddit pages), people have indicated they would race-change to Tauren in a heartbeat JUST for this one change.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2018-04-24 at 01:09 AM.

Unlike with orcs, trolls or even undead, the hunch in taurens has always seemed more morphological than just a stance. I think the hump on tauren is honestly pretty iconic and definitely not the least of their concerns.

Minor nitpick but what I really dislike about the tauren models are their hooves, they're just... really weird. With the Vanilla models it was less apparent but with the revamped models, they don't really even look like hooves, more like cloven elephant stumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    The artwork I linked definitely has much less hump than any of the images you showed, and is directly from the loading screen. It's still there and he's still clearly and obviously bovine-inspired as a species.

I don't see why you'd be against such a change. And if you've never heard other people complain about it, it's because you probably don't play with many people who love their tauren.

(Which isn't surprising: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census...ervertypeid=-1 )

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one that DOESN'T have a weird spine.
    Any time I've seen this subject broached on any online community (especially reddit pages), people have indicated they would race-change to Tauren in a heartbeat JUST for this one change.
    The art you linked doesn't have any less of a hump at all. You're literally comparing a bare hump to a hump being 100% covered by a gigantic headdress.

Also I'm willing to bet that the reasoning behind most people playing Blood Elves has little to do with posture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

People are against it because it goes against the lore. Tauren are inspired by Minotaurs. They look that way for a reason. This silly generation Z whining that some races aren't pretty enough is a disgrace.

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one that has had a very OP racial for ages.

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one that doesn't look like some miscreant and therefore is a nice option for people who prefer Alliance but have to play Horde for obvious reasons.

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one where the female is a nerd jizz magnet and the male is way to be the edgy animu bad boy you always wanted to be.

On a more serious note, tauren were always hunched like this.

This is not the case where only orc peons were hunched and all others were not, therefore it made sense to add an unhunched posture. In fact, it would have made more sense to have the unhunched version in the first place and add the hunch as an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    The art you linked doesn't have any less of a hump at all. You're literally comparing a bare hump to a hump being 100% covered by a gigantic headdress.
    It's not the headdress. No in-game tauren model has anything close to that posture. I've been playing Tauren since BC, and I know all-too-well what my character's body shape looks like. The shoulders, chest, and neckline are NOT that prominent. In fact, the neck angles DOWNWARDS from the hump on my tauren. The rise of the hump above my character's head is high enough to fit a SECOND head on top of my head, and I wouldn't get any taller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one that has had a very OP racial for ages.

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one that doesn't look like some miscreant and therefore is a nice option for people who prefer Alliance but have to play Horde for obvious reasons.

Interesting how the most popular race of the Horde is the one where the female is a nerd jizz magnet and the male is way to be the edgy animu bad boy you always wanted to be.

On a more serious note, tauren were always hunched like this.

This is not the case where only orc peons were hunched and all others were not, therefore it made sense to add an unhunched posture. In fact, it would have made more sense to have the unhunched version in the first place and add the hunch as an option.
    I know all those little facts.

That doesn't change the fact that there are many players who would like to see an alternative option for the tauren model.

That doesn't change the fact that many people do refuse to play tauren because of the hump.

I find it interesting people suggest it's because I'm some kind of "animu boy" or that I'm being a "whiny gen Z" or some shit like that.

I'm 31. Get over yourselves and stop with the ad hominem attacks, because it's showing your own immaturity. Even if your insinuations were correct, they don't make my opinion any less valid. I'd just like to see the Tauren model look better. I don't know why your judgmental attitudes are suggesting that because I want to see the model be "prettier" is some horrible, childish thing.

Tauren can still look bovine with the shape of their posture without having to look like they belong in Notre Dame. As much as I love my tauren, I would like for this one thing to change.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2018-04-24 at 09:43 AM.

Deleted
    Upright orcs, trolls, undead or Tauren sounds cool.
    But do you know what we really need? Hunched over alliance races.
    Crooked Night Elves, Stooping Dwarfs, Bend Humans, Gnomes mushed into a little ball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Unlike with orcs, trolls or even undead, the hunch in taurens has always seemed more morphological than just a stance. I think the hump on tauren is honestly pretty iconic and definitely not the least of their concerns.

Minor nitpick but what I really dislike about the tauren models are their hooves, they're just... really weird. With the Vanilla models it was less apparent but with the revamped models, they don't really even look like hooves, more like cloven elephant stumps.
    I will agree our height is sometimes a problem. Our height could easily stay where it is while changing the position of the head, angle of the neck, the size of the hump, etc.

I am fully aware real cows have such a hump at their shoulders.

What you all are missing is that it's NOT anywhere near as ridiculous as what Tauren have.

My personal nitpick on the hooves, btw, is more that foot-slot armor models don't interact well with our hooved models. Boots almost don't matter even if I'm not wearing robes/kilts/skirts/whatever. To be expected, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Even this, while still obviously featuring a hump, is significantly smaller than what I have in-game, but I'd like to see it reduced so that the head is the highest point of their height:

While it's hard to find artwork that doesn't prominently show the hunched-over male tauren, as they've obviously always been, there's some gems out there showing what it could be. You're telling me THIS would be a horrible change that would prevent tauren from looking bovine enough, and would be too animu for you?

This is a minotaur artwork, but would certainly pass for a tauren. Even he has a prominent spinal "hump"

Keep in mind that a cow's "hump" is between the shoulders. It's little more than an odd curve of their spine just before the neck.

And the simple fact that female Tauren barely have it seems to be escaping EVERYBODY here.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2018-04-24 at 10:03 AM.