Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Skulking geist. Shuts down so many mongo decks(at least before rotation).

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Azure Drake dominated the entire time, until it was nerfed, and even then was still highly used.
    It dominated the 5 Mana slot, but people didn't tech against a 5Mana 4/4.

People didn't tech cards to counter Azure Drake, but BGH vs. Boom was pretty a thing until Whispers of the Old Gods.

Not to mention the fact that players could run 2 Azure Drakes in a deck vs only 1 Dr. Boom, really puts Azure Drake far ahead of it.
    At this point you're just mentioning differences between the two cards, this argument basically disqualifies any Legendary / Dk card.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

In reality, I wanna say C'thun, with all the cards that went with. C'thun was very enjoyable for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah37 View Post
    Is this supposed to be the strongest card, or your favorite, or a mixture of the two? If it is the strongest I may have to say Loatheb or Piloted Shredder. They were played in most decks, aggro and control, as they were low cost, and had very strong effects.

As for my favorite on there, I'd say Drakonid Operative, it was a pretty strong card, but it also allowed for a fair amount of strategy and counter-play which I think is something Hearthstone needs a lot more of.
    "Vote based on Power level relative to other cards available at the time" That's the guideline on the guys Twitter.

If we go by pre-nerf cards, Undertaker is hard to argue against I find. It completely and utterly dominated the meta before getting the nerfbat, even more than cards like Patches, Grim Patron or Dr. Boom. I assume it is not on the list because it ceased to exist once it got nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It dominated the 5 Mana slot, but people didn't tech against a 5Mana 4/4.

People didn't tech cards to counter Azure Drake, but BGH vs. Boom was pretty a thing until Whispers of the Old Gods.

At this point you're just mentioning differences between the two cards, this argument basically disqualifies any Legendary / Dk card.
    Sorry, but card rarity matters a lot when discussing "best overall". Everyone here knows it, including you, whether you want to admit it, or not. It also does not "disqualify any Legendary or DK card". When your rationale is that a card was used in most decks, and both cards in question fit that criteria, the card that is allowed to have 2 in a deck wins out.

Sorry, but card rarity matters a lot when discussing "best overall".
    Tunnel Trogg is a common card, or do you just limit to legendary and non legendary?

It also does not "disqualify any Legendary or DK card". When your rationale is that a card was used in most decks, and both cards in question fit that criteria, the card that is allowed to have 2 in a deck wins out.
    It's just a silly way bring this into the equation in my opinion.
    It simply favors nonlegendary cards over legendary cards due an inherit mechanic to Hearthstone since release.

Here's the deal:
    I'm going to rate cards based on three factors.
    1.Does a card create a new archetype?
    2.How does the card / archetype impact the meta?
    3.Is the card useable outside of that archetype?

If you want to rate a card solely on it's playability in lots of decks, fine, do this, however in my view the impact of a card / deck on the meta has be rated higher than it's overall playability.
    Because Azure Drake never created utterly broken decks that needed to be nerfed, it solely rotated because it was a decent 5 Mana minion, therefore Blizzard would've been forced to powercreep minion based card draw and or 5 Mana minions.

In other words, Azure Drake rotated because it caused "design problems" not "balance problems".

This is my view on the *best* card, as in a card that able to create the most powerful deck during it's time or had a decent shot to win games on their own due being difficult to counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Tunnel Trogg is a common card, or do you just limit to legendary and non legendary?

It's just a silly way bring this into the equation in my opinion.
    It simply favors nonlegendary cards over legendary cards due an inherit mechanic to Hearthstone since release.

Here's the deal:
    I'm going to rate cards based on three factors.
    1.Does a card create a new archetype?
    2.How does the card / archetype impact the meta?
    3.Is the card useable outside of that archetype?

If you want to rate a card solely on it's playability in lots of decks, fine, do this, however in my view the impact of a card / deck on the meta has be rated higher than it's overall playability.
    Because Azure Drake never created utterly broken decks that needed to be nerfed, it solely rotated because it was a decent 5 Mana minion, therefore Blizzard would've been forced to powercreep minion based card draw and or 5 Mana minions.

In other words, Azure Drake rotated because it caused "design problems" not "balance problems".

This is my view on the *best* card, as in a card that able to create the most powerful deck during it's time or had a decent shot to win games on their own due being difficult to counter.
    Sorry, but one can't simply dismiss card rarity here in regards to having 1 or 2 per deck. Gonna let you in on a little secret too - Azure Drake was the most played card in HS, both pre-nerf and post nerf. That is why it was moved to the HoF.

PS: Look at the title of the thread. Best It says nothing about most powerful

"Best" doesn't necessarily mean the most ubiquitous either, you're just very hung up on that.

It's best as in power level at the time, that is the guidance on voting.

Also round two is half way complete, you can still vote on right hand half, Azure Drake lost to Ice Block 40%-60%
    Last edited by caractacus; 2018-05-04 at 08:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact everyone has said a different card shows that it's not as simple as everyone picking the same card, especially because everyone rates cards differently. Do you rate as a standalone card? In which case Dr Boom would probably win that, what about value? UI would probably take it. Most oppressive, well Dr 6 was so powerful but without the strong early game it would have been nowhere near as good.
    Tunnel trogg would probably win it for me since it basically spawned aggro Shaman and that archtype has not existed since that rotated out, but there are so many other cards which are very strong which could take it for me, such as muster for battle, call to arms and Tirion. (The fact that 3 of the best 4 are paladin says a lot)
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post

Also round two is half way complete, you can still vote on right hand half, Azure Drake lost to Ice Block 40%-60%
    Well damn, guess I had better find a digestible-looking hat
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Well damn, guess I had better find a digestible-looking hat
    pics or it didn't happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Sorry, but one can't simply dismiss card rarity here in regards to having 1 or 2 per deck.
    If the same rules apply to both cards, yeah, but they don't.
    If we compare Azure Drake to BGH, this argument makes sense, because most people ran only one BGH despite having the option to run two but legendaries do not have that option.

both pre-nerf and post nerf
    What nerf? Azure Drake was never nerfed outside of being rotated.

Or is this nerf another one of your secrets you want to let me in?

It says nothing about most powerful
    Neither about "most played", because what "best" means is open to interpretation, hence this entire poll would be pointless, as they'd never ask "What is the is most played card?" unless they want to play the guessing game because Blizzard has the answer.

And even there you'd have to limit it, as cards like Fireball would have a massive advantage over others.

This is less decisive than it sounds. Azure Drake was legal for 3 years, do you consider the times when the meta was too fast for greedy midrange decks to be top tier a black mark against Drake? Or just the highest points of playability?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    This is less decisive than it sounds. Azure Drake was legal for 3 years, do you consider the times when the meta was too fast for greedy midrange decks to be top tier a black mark against Drake? Or just the highest points of playability?
    I think there is supposed to be some level of personal choice and criteria, Blizzard knows which cards are actually powerful through data but the guy just wants the perception from the community. He did also say he might do a "favourite card" vote in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yogg is best card. Get Yogg up to 20+ spells and it is the most hilarious thing ever to watch all the chaos. Especially if you could get to resummon him, or had a Brann. It...was...glorious! Let the RNG gods decide if you win or lose. And then they screwed him over by having his effect cancel if he dies. Even with him weakened, I still refuse to play any Mage other than the Frozen Yogg-ert deck I created. He's just too much fun.

Pretty sure I dusted half of the ones in that list as soon as I opened them; definitely most of the legendaries. I prefer my decks to be bullshit free (looking at you Dr. Fuckoff!)
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Down to last 8, voting is quite close in all 4

Deleted
    I think there is supposed to be some level of personal choice and criteria, Blizzard knows which cards are actually powerful through data but the guy just wants the perception from the community. He did also say he might do a "favourite card" vote in the future.
    The main criteria isn't power, but how frustrating it is to play against the card.

The best example is Gul'dan. While Gul'dan is a very powerful card on its own, it only became a massively broken card after Kobolds, and now its in the final 8 because the card is extremely frustrating to play against.

Iceblock is getting in the top 8 (and soon top 4) while a full counter was available for quite a while for it simply because it was frustrating to play against(because you were greedy and didn't want to tech against any other secret), while overall the card itself was not strong in any way(no tempo, no removal, no direct win as a result of it).

Ice Block is basically Open the Waygate except you don't have to do anything to get it to work and it's very, very slightly more vulnerable to narrow disruption. It's tremendously powerful, not just "frustrating". Extra turn effects are absolutely bananas.