Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    And yet nobody ever sails from the west side of Kalimdor to the east side of Eastern Kingdoms. Everybody goes from the east of Kalimdor to the west of EK. Why is that? Nobody's ever been able to answer that question.
    because of flat earth believer

Not a map expert, but the scales on a map from a sphere is not at all what you think.

Example is this:

You can see the USA, China and India together are SMALLER than Africa.

Every map projection introduces distortion, and each has its own set of problems. One of the most common criticisms of the Mercator map is that it exaggerates the size of countries nearer the poles (US, Russia, Europe), while downplaying the size of those near the equator (the African Continent). On the Mercator projection Greenland appears to be roughly the same size as Africa. In reality, Greenland is 0.8 million sq. miles and Africa is 11.6 million sq. miles, nearly 14 and a half times larger.
    So this means Pandaria and Northrend should be a LOT bigger than what they look like on that map.

We have been sailing ships in these waters for decades and are JUST NOW noticing TWO WHOLE continents???????

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    When the alliance went to Broken Isle, wouldn't they have discovered Kul Tiras first?
    For that matter, when we sailed to Northrend. It's as if the team has no idea of prior expansion travel

Quote Originally Posted by Spookysheep View Post
    We have been sailing ships in these waters for decades and are JUST NOW noticing TWO WHOLE continents???????
    No - we've known they've always been there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    For that matter, when we sailed to Northrend. It's as if the team has no idea of prior expansion travel
    It's as previous maps have not been accurate, like many versions of early maps of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    No - we've known they've always been there.

- - - Updated - - -

It's as previous maps have not been accurate, like many versions of early maps of anything.

So we've always known and we are JUST NOW getting around to going there? Makes total sense. Totally. This development really is the C team at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    And yet nobody ever sails from the west side of Kalimdor to the east side of Eastern Kingdoms. Everybody goes from the east of Kalimdor to the west of EK. Why is that? Nobody's ever been able to answer that question.
    I distinctly remember reading somewhere that people have tried sailing this route but no one has ever returned. I just tried looking for where I read this. I'll keeping looking though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this mean when BfA is released Lordaeron will be in The Alliance possession?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    It really bugs me just how wrong the scale is. I'd much rather it be to scale with the zoomed in Broken Isles, Kul Tiras, Zandalar, the Maelstrom, Kezan, and the Wandering Isle on a seperate clickable "Great Sea" map.

I mean, the maps in-game were never to scale, fine. They don't want players to think that new content is smaller than old content. Fine. But this representation is just completely absurd. It's to the point where it really does bother me, especially since they just published all those maps in the volumes of Chronicle that shows the proper in-universe scale.

It would be super easy to fix, too.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2018-05-12 at 11:54 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    All the islands should be smaller-broken isles, zandalar, kul tiaras. All other continents should be larger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It really bugs me just how wrong the scale is. I'd much rather it be to scale with the zoomed in Broken Isles, Kul Tiras, Zandalar, the Maelstrom, Kezan, and the Wandering Isle on a seperate clickable "Great Sea" map.

I mean, the maps in-game were never to scale, fine. They don't want players to think that new content is smaller than old content. Fine. But this representation is just completely absurd. It's to the point where it really does bother me, especially since they just published all those maps in the volumes of Chronicle that shows the proper in-universe scale.

It would be super easy to fix, too.

Broken Isles and Kul Tiras were both in WC2 and the Zandalari and Kul Tirans have been present in the story throughout all of WoW, we just never went there before the continents themselves became important.

Your argument doesn't really make any sense. We'd never been to Pandaria before Mists, Kezan or Gilneas before Cataclysm, or to Northrend before Wrath, to Outland before BC, but we always knew they were there. They've been rolling new locations out gradually over expansions from the very start of the game.

In fact, if you compare the world map from the Warcraft III manual to the most recent official world map from World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume III, it's frankly kind of shocking how true they've managed to be to the original.

Kezan and the Lost Isles were moved to the south a bit and switched positions with each other, Tel'Abim got smaller, the Broken Isles were moved to the south a bit, Kul Tiras was moved out of the bay of Khaz Modan to the open ocean, and Balor seems to have vanished. You'd think that things would be way further off given that it's been 16 years and and 8 expansions across two games since they created the original.
    Should look like the second map here!

Deleted
    In fact, if you compare the world map from the Warcraft III manual to the most recent official world map from World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume III, it's frankly kind of shocking how true they've managed to be to the original.
    Not. Even. Remotely. Close.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    When the alliance went to Broken Isle, wouldn't they have discovered Kul Tiras first?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Broken Isles and Kul Tiras were both in WC2 and the Zandalari and Kul Tirans have been present in the story throughout all of WoW, we just never went there before the continents themselves became important.

We'd never been to Pandaria before Mists, Kezan or Gilneas before Cataclysm, or to Northrend before Wrath, to Outland before BC, but we always knew they were there. They've been rolling new locations out gradually over expansions from the very start of the game.

Kezan and the Lost Isles were moved to the south a bit and switched positions with each other, Tel'Abim got smaller, the Broken Isles were moved to the south a bit, Kul Tiras was moved out of the bay of Khaz Modan to the open ocean, and Balor seems to have vanished. You'd think that things would be way further off given that it's been 16 years and and 8 expansions across two games since they created the original.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we've always known and we are JUST NOW getting around to going there? Makes total sense. Totally. This development really is the C team at this point.
    That's not even a good reason to declare its the C team -_-
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Not. Even. Remotely. Close.
    Look at them side-by-side. Almost all of the landmasses are accounted for and are in nearly the same places. The only major differences are Balor missing and the position of Kul Tiras.

Deleted
    Look at them side-by-side. Almost all of the landmasses are accounted for and are in nearly the same places. The only major differences are Balor missing and the position of Kul Tiras.
    The difference in their shapes is way too big though. The versions of Kalimdor have as much in common as Africa has with Australia's shape.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    So because you know a place exists, you have to go there even though there's nothing there for you at that time? Yeah, speaking of things that make total sense..

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    So because you know a place exists, you have to go there even though there's nothing there for you at that time? Yeah, speaking of things that make total sense..
    LOL!!! If a place exists, it is the nature of every living being to explore it. Your argument makes absolutely zero sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    yea because blizzard is going to waste all their fucking lore continents in one expansion because we know they're there.

Do you even read what you type?
    This is very narrow minded thinking, especially with all the talk of "immersion" by the current development team.

So you think every known place in azeroth should be accesable all at once? Great idea, you definitely will make blizzard a ton of cash.

It is not my responsibility or concern if blizzard makes a ton of cash. I would question the bizarre thinking of anyone who cares how rich blizzard gets.

So you shit on their game design by making ridiculous suggestions, then proceed to say how you don't care about how much profit they make.

Totally makes sense.

Do you work for blizzard? If not, you seem extremely overly attached. /shrug If you can't discuss rationally and maturely without using profanity I will not waste anymore time. Have a nice day son.

The map itself looks nice, it's starting to feel like Azeroth is more of a planet and not a WIP. That being said, as a player who has spent a lot of time in-game on these continents the scaling feels really strange. In my mind Zan, KT, and BI, aren't nearly as large. I mean, it always seemed to me that Dragonblight was a very large zone and it took forever to cross so that zone by itself should be as wide as these three Islands.

Hell, KT by itself looks to be as big as the entire northern part of EK starting from Arathi Highlands going to QD. Yeah...no, after my time in the beta, KT is not that large. The scaling is wonky. Oh well, still like the map overall though.

Kinda funny looking at too because back when we were taking boats to Northrend or to and from EK and Kali, the boats sailed right through BI, KT, Zan.