Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I hate that they connected gold to RL currency

When I saw the new 5mio mount for BFA today I was like "Well, that's actually pretty cool, let's buy it" but then I realized that with current prices this are 14.5(->15) Token.
    I can use one Token to get 30 days of game time which equals roughly 13 Euro. 13*15 = 195 Euro.
    That are nearly 200 Euro for a god damn mount.

I would never ever spend that much Euro on a mount. I would have spend 5 million gold without a blink, but 200 Euro is just way, way too much.

At this time (again) I hate it that they connected RL currency to ingame gold. I just can not spend it anymore without thinking "but this is XXX in RL money".

Feels really bad.

What is your opinion about this? Do you also refrain from buying expensive things ingame because of this or do you just not care?

Real money doesn't affect gold, it's the gross inflation of gold itself in-game -- the game literally throws thousands of gold at you everyday, and per character one can easily make 15k daily from missions and WQs.

So again, absolutely nothing to do with the WoW token...

But I can see it the otherway too, I got a few thousand euros worth in Gold.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-05-16 at 09:53 AM.

It was always connected.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

In-game price of the wow token is constantly changing.

And to answer your question. No.

I agree. Although I am a mount collector and have over 12 million gold on my account I did not buy the spider mount. 4 million is over my pain threshold, considering the RL value of that amount of gold. And even though the bronto adds additional value, it is unlikely I spend this amount of gold on a mount. This is almost the price of all shopmounts together.

But since inflation is a big thing in wow, we might look differently at those prices in two or three xpacs, when the amount of gold keeps rising and also the value of the token, so that 4 millions is perhaps only worth 4 tokens in a few years. Then there is still the chance to obtain those mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    It was always connected.
    I think what he means though is that we effectively have the ability to "sell" our gold via buying wow tokens instead of subbing.

This gives a more real life value to gold than it previously had. As before sure you could buy gold via websites, but selling it would not be nearly as easy of a task which meant the gold you had only had a value within the game and spending excess on mounts was a "what else am I gonna do with it" situation while now it's a "I could save £200 in subs or buy a mount".

I'm not on such a level (never been rich enough to spend 5mln on a mount). But to a lesser extent I am the same, seeing a piece of armour and then thinking "holy hell this chest piece that I'll wear for maybe a week is gonna cost me £10?!" instantly prevents me from buying it.

not really. i make so much gold ingame through order hall alone gold has next to no value for me atm. i mean i can savely buy my monthly sub by now that's enough for me.

And it wasn't blizz that made this connection. you could sell / buy gold for a really long time before. blizz just made it legal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have enough gold on my account to buy the spider mount, but it's so ugly. They must pay me 2 Mio. that I would take it.
    I haven't bought this warmachine from the Vindicaar. That would cost me more then 1 month playtime. *shrug* I would still have enough gold to buy it and buy playtime.

If the mount for 5 Mio. is the one I think about now from the Beta, it looks pretty cool. And it has vendors just like the Yak and it's for 3 persons. Maybe I'll buy that, because it has useful 'functions' besides scare people with arachnophobia.

How much is that in American?

It was always connected. They just introduced a fully legal and safe way for gold buying.

I was never good at farming cash in WoW. I live off normally playing the game and getting an occassional boe drop. I purchased 1 token when I needed gold very much and was low on it. I love the possibility as I like to stick to the rules and wouldn't pay for gold via illegal means.

I'm not buying 15 of them to get a mount bought for gold in game though. It's not a particular loss for me too, as I don't consider things that just cost a lot of money "A challenge".

Deleted
    You don't have t spend it, it's optional.

I remember guildies of mine buying spectral tigers for 500 euro back in wrath. Whatever you think a mount is worth, it's worth.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I would never ever spend that much Euro on a mount. I would have spend 5 million gold without a blink, but 200 Euro is just way, way too much.

At this time (again) I hate it that they connected RL currency to ingame gold. I just can not spend it anymore without thinking "but this is XXX in RL money".

Feels really bad.

What is your opinion about this? Do you also refrain from buying expensive things ingame because of this or do you just not care?
    While WoW gold has an equivalent $$ value, its use is still limited to buying stuff from Blizzard. I cannot convert my gold balance to $$, so the only value that gold has is if I spend it in game. Which means that even though I'd never spend 200Euro on a mount, I have no problems spending 5M gold on it. I suppose one way to see it is that I just saved myself 200Euro by farming that gold.

Also, the token hasn't really changed anything. TCG mounts and pets have always been tradeable to other players with gold, and had an actuall $$ value. I still remember blowing a cool 1M on the swift spectal tiger, knowing that it sold IRL for like $150 or something.

I am hoarding my gold until the day I die. In my testament I stated to give all the gold to my family so they can continue my heritage. At one point WoW gold is gonna be a cryptocurrency and I plan to profit from it once it's a valid currency to buy food with.

Exactly. Since it is connected to money I can't buy anything from AH, only the really needed stuff so all I do is amass gold, buy wow token. Pretty good gameplay /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    When I saw the new 5mio mount for BFA today I was like "Well, that's actually pretty cool, let's buy it" but then I realized that with current prices this are 14.5(->15) Token.
    I can use one Token to get 30 days of game time which equals roughly 13 Euro. 13*15 = 195 Euro.
    That are nearly 200 Euro for a god damn mount.

Feels really bad.

It was connected even in vanilla/classic.

I have no problem for you don't have to purchase/sell tokens to obtain the mount.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If you have enough gold laying around to buy the new mount, you most likely also have your account maxed out on wowtokens and battle net currency. At that point gold stops having a RL currency value since there is nothing left to buy.

Deleted
    It's all about what's worth it to you. Some people buy t-shirts for 800 or so euro just because of logo, that are made by the same poor children in god knows where.

I always spend good money on my computer, but would never spend good money on some expensive car, while someone else is exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    If you have enough gold laying around to buy the new mount, you most likely also have your account maxed out on wowtokens and battle net currency. At that point gold stops having a RL currency value since there is nothing left to buy.
    What makes you think that way?
    I currently have around 7 Million gold on my account. That would be enough to buy the mount.
    That is not enough to max it out on Tokens or currency.

I thought the same at the start of token. Now I have 250€ b.net balance, my account is paid at least a year in advance, several token stashed. Every gold beyond that isn't connected to real money anymore.

In the end some people were always buying gold and I think the number is bigger than a lot of people think. Before it went to basically enslave people to grind endlessly for it to produce and then a shady business process of people on both sides getting cheated on occasion with failure to deliver and returns/buy backs. On top of that annoying spams in trade chat, annoying whisper bots, and falling out of the sky dead bodies spelling out websites on the ground in Org and SW. It also ended up banning a lot of paying subscribers for ToS violations. Blizzard basically just removed all of these things minus the people buying gold with money bit and they put a cherry on top of it by letting people pay with gold to subscribe instead of real currency to create the biggest gold sink in the game and all on the backs of those people that used to send there money to 3rd party websites and buying a lot of the gold anyway. So it also created a pretty beloved service and made Blizzard get 20 bucks a sub in a lot of cases instead of the 15ish they got before. While I wish it wasn't the case, but this was used to eventually destroy/slow the annoying gold selling black market and end all the annoying things that came with it to people not even involved in it either way. In the end it is hard to say it didn't end up doing a lot of good in the big picture.