Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Personally I'd like the option to enable new character models and transmog, though I doubt the latter will ever happen.
    Transmog in Classic. What the friggin hell?! I guess you dont get the concept of Vanilla WoW.Maybe you should stick to Retail tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by crouder View Post
    Transmog in Classic. What the friggin hell?! I guess you dont get the concept of Vanilla WoW.Maybe you should stick to Retail tbh.
    I understand that people liked to ego-masturbate by AFKing in Orgrimmar with their tier 2 sets or whatever.

They could still do that, but with a full set rather than having half the set and then the other parts being non-set BiS items.

Anyway, as I said. I doubt it’ll happen sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    It doesnt need to be relevant. He hates vanilla with a burning passion so he resorts to ad-hominem.

Why dont we try making a time machine while we're at it? And one of those memory-eraser sticks from Men in Black?

Your argument is flawed.

I'm going to quote another guy on this forum: If you rewatch an old movie, do you expect to be surprised by the plot-twists again or do you just rewatch it and enjoy the god-damn-movie?

No need to over-analyze. Just remake a 1.12.1 version of vanilla and let the bricks fall where they may.

EDIT: Formatting.

EDIT 2:
    I would like to add what I've already said earlier.
    - I played in 2004 beta.
    - I played in vanilla
    - Since 2012 im playing on private vanilla servers

I Know exactly how it was. I know exactly what to expect. I know that it wont be the same as experiencing it the first time in 2004. I still know exactly what I want from the game.

No need to jump thru hoops to "re-create the "*experience*" of wow from 2004". Just make a damn server with 1.12.1 patch and be done with it.
    The 'old movie' comparison doesn't make any sense. The whole crux of the argument is that in an MMORPG the other players behaviour make an enormous impact on the experience. You know that if Blizzard would leave in the vanilla marcro/script systems, then the amount of automation players and addon developers can achieve is almost limitless. Arguing that this was there in Vanilla is futile, as yes, it was possible and used by some of the playerbase, but this time around, given the ease and breath of communication and sharing, everyone would exploit this beyond reason.

Yes, I payed on and thoroughly enjoyed Blizzlike private servers. But don't underestimate what a 'legit' Vanilla Blizz server would bring in terms of community and support surrounding it. 'Just make a damn server with 1.12.1 patch and be done with it.' will never happen.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    The 'old movie' comparison doesn't make any sense. The whole crux of the argument is that in an MMORPG the other players behaviour make an enormous impact on the experience. You know that if Blizzard would leave in the vanilla marcro/script systems, then the amount of automation players and addon developers can achieve is almost limitless. Arguing that this was there in Vanilla is futile, as yes, it was possible and used by some of the playerbase, but this time around, given the ease and breath of communication and sharing, everyone would exploit this beyond reason.

Yes, I payed on and thoroughly enjoyed Blizzlike private servers. But don't underestimate what a 'legit' Vanilla Blizz server would bring in terms of community and support surrounding it. 'Just make a damn server with 1.12.1 patch and be done with it.' will never happen.
    Yes I am very well aware that the vanilla API is extremely open, runnings of scripts, allowing alot of automization ("Botting") and yes I do believe they will very likely change that. I hope they choose to leave it alone though, and go about policing botting in some other manner.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Popularity determines whether or not WoW Classic will survive. It is simple business. If a company can attract 5 times as many customers by making changes, they will do so. Period.
    J. Allen Brack: Our goal is to recreate that classic 1-60 gameplay. Some things changed as time went on, with different patches. How does that get manifested? That's one of the outstanding questions. But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse.

J. Allen Brack: One of the things we do know is that by announcing this, we're in the WOW Classic business forever. Once that starts, there's a commitment on our end that we're going to continue maintaining those servers for as long as there is a World of Warcraft.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-big-questions

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    J. Allen Brack: Our goal is to recreate that classic 1-60 gameplay. Some things changed as time went on, with different patches. How does that get manifested? That's one of the outstanding questions. But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse.

J. Allen Brack: One of the things we do know is that by announcing this, we're in the WOW Classic business forever. Once that starts, there's a commitment on our end that we're going to continue maintaining those servers for as long as there is a World of Warcraft.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-big-questions
    So where exactly is he saying "there will be no changes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yes they are because Vanilla is a stupid description and was never used by Blizzard themselves, it's a fan made description - you are reading things into this that aren't there.
    They also did say "a classic EXPERIENCE." That could be interpreted a great many ways until we get any sort of update on what build they are going with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    So where exactly is he saying "there will be no changes"?
    Way to jump around there. I thought you wanted to argue that popularity was the be-all and end-all metric, or have you changed your mind since I just proved you wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Way to jump around there. I thought you wanted to argue that popularity was the be-all and end-all metric, or have you changed your mind since I just proved you wrong?
    Nope. Someone talking up the good shit for PR does not change what is the bottom line for a multi-billion dollar corporation. Profits. More players = more profits.

10+ Year Old Account
    No! I can assure that people dont want a real Vanilla. Even private servers runs with 1.12 version. The real Vanilla version is just unplayable! So the Classic servers are going to be at least 1.12. Believe me!
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    No! I can assure that people dont want a real Vanilla. Even private servers runs with 1.12 version. The real Vanilla version is just unplayable! So the Classic servers are going to be at least 1.12. Believe me!
    And whats not real about the 1.12 version.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

No one really knows what's coming at this point, nor does anyone know what will be under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchant View Post
    No one really knows what's coming at this point, nor does anyone know what will be under the hood.
    classic will be great, it will get the best critics and it will be the wow killer. the only thing it won't be is vanilla. :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am getting to the point on where we might just need two servers.

One that is untouched to the point where the bugs remain and the content is unbalanced for classes and gear. Enjoy your vendorstrike. Blizzard only just needs to maintain the server and fix any massive exploits that might occur. Or just keep the exploits because Hakkar blood curse was fun as shit to do...

The second one for the more reasonable players that will include; bug fixes, balance updates, rewards xfer into retail, mount tabs and other QoL changes.

I really do not want to play with these purists, so they can just have a server for themselves. I am still sure they wont like the two server solution however but that shouldn't' be up to them especially because of their fascist attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I am getting to the point on where we might just need two servers.

One that is untouched to the point where the bugs remain and the content is unbalanced for classes and gear. Enjoy your vendorstrike. Blizzard only just needs to maintain the server and fix any massive exploits that might occur. Or just keep the exploits because Hakkar blood curse was fun as shit to do...

The second one for the more reasonable players that will include; bug fixes, balance updates, rewards xfer into retail, mount tabs and other QoL changes.

I really do not want to play with these purists, so they can just have a server for themselves. I am still sure they wont like the two server solution however but that shouldn't' be up to them especially because of their fascist attitude.
    There will be two servers, as you requested.

One is called World of Warcraft: Classic and the other is called World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth. The former has a strong scent of vanilla while the latter will have a flavor of strawberries and raspberries with a bitter aftertaste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    There will be two servers, as you requested.

One is called World of Warcraft: Classic and the other is called World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth. The former has a strong scent of vanilla while the latter will have a flavor of strawberries and raspberries with a bitter aftertaste.
    Thanks for proving my point.

So three server types. Two of which will need to be updated and a third that will be untouched.

Retail
    Natural Vanilla
    vanilla bean (patched)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Nobody used it? There were people in high end world first competing raiding guilds using full default UI pre-Cata. This is the problem with people like you or posts like yours, you make some broad assumptions based on your own preferences and opinions and pin them on others, what's worse is that you believe what your'e saying is true, blind to reality.
    Oh please, you couldn't really heal with it, sorry but the only one who raided with the crappy vanilla-ui were Masorchists. Even in the few screenshots of boss fights that exist back then, nobody used the vanilla-ui. Every guild back then required raid frame addons; at least successful ones.

Yes, if you are dps, you probably didn't need it; but even then you were required to install it, at least on all raid guilds on my server. And no, healing with the crappy raid-ui was not possible, period. Heck, the response-time of the default-UI was even slower than of addons, sometimes somebody was dead before you even saw it in the UI back then.

And even if you used it, you needed to pull them out of the raid-window everytime you join a raid, and manually put them together to use then. And then there you couldn't even put them apart, because you didn't even see what class they play, because everything was in the same color.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Oh please, you couldn't really heal with it, sorry but the only one who raided with the crappy vanilla-ui were Masorchists. Even in the few screenshots of boss fights that exist back then, nobody used the vanilla-ui. Every guild back then required raid frame addons; at least successful ones.

Yes, if you are dps, you probably didn't need it; but even then you were required to install it, at least on all raid guilds on my server. And no, healing with the crappy raid-ui was not possible, period. Heck, the response-time of the default-UI was even slower than of addons, sometimes somebody was dead before you even saw it in the UI back then.

And even if you used it, you needed to pull them out of the raid-window everytime you join a raid, and manually put them together to use then. And then there you couldn't even put them apart, because you didn't even see what class they play, because everything was in the same color.
    You're just making stuff up, if you were a dps you certainly didn't need any addons whatsoever (give or take, you still don't). One of the hunters in SK gaming on their world first interview owned up to using default UI and short of a threat meter you didn't "need" any addons then either. A lot of good players used default UI back then, just as a fair few world first level players back then were also clickers. You're just choosing to believe what you want to believe and not what actually took place.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    And whats not real about the 1.12 version.
    Real Vanilla was 1.1 and there's a HUGE difference between 1.1 and 1.12 who came like 18 months after release. So fanatics asking for released version dont have any idea how the game was almost unplayable at that time. If you want a classic edition with good balance and QoL additions that keep the game close to original but in a good playable state you dont want to go before 1.12. There's a reason why all those private servers choosed to go with 1.12.... It's the best compromise!
    Last edited by riptal; 2018-05-25 at 12:16 AM.
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You're right. I do. But I'm not interested in speaking for anyone else that fully intends to replay the game like it was 2005. Their mileage may vary but it's their mileage.

I'm fairly convinced that after six-to-eight months of classic a lot of people who have adamantly demanded no changes will be, you guessed it, wanting fixes. At that point it might be appropriate to discuss all of that. I do not think the time is now.

For my own part I was a lot more interested in 'pristine' than classic since that would have covered the entire game and addressed most of the complaints that have consistently been aired about WoW over the years. Not to be though.

Personally looking forward to leveling in the old zones though. Probably not much there for me after that.
    I honestly don't mind either way. But there are changes that I believe are appropriate to discuss now.

Vanilla was fine as it was back in the day, but it also had a lot of problems that didn't really provide anything constructive (like the nature of BiS and the limited gear selection at 60 meaning that a lot of characters looked exactly the same even back in the day, a problem that will only be several times worse now that most of the playerbase understands how to gear and where the absolute best pieces are; and the lack of shared guild space basically dictating that someone high up have an alt where they keep all of the guild's items and finances, which can lead to some scummy stuff).

Which is why I think guild banks are a good idea to implement, because it just makes things so much less of a clusterfuck for guilds and ensures some measure of transparency and accountability since you have logs and can see what is going in and out.

I also think transmog 1.0 would be valuable, that is, the transmog that was limited to character instead of shared, and for which you had to have the item on you or in your bank. Because it was per character and you had to have the item, it didn't really alter any gameplay, you still have to manage inventory as normal, and you can only transmog into things that you own on that character (i.e. things that you have earned, to transmog into full T3, you have to have full T3, to transmog into Dungeon 2, you have to have Dungeon 2). It just means that instead of everyone having to wear a horribly mismatched clownsuit identical to the clownsuit everyone else is wearing, you can swap into nicer quest pieces, or that tier/dungeon set you had early on that is a downgrade now that you've progressed, or that Sul'thraze you finally made.

I also think there's zero reason not to add a toggleable graphical update. The one potential complaint is altered animations (what happened with Live) and it's easy enough to just not do that and apply the new textures and polygons to the existing skeletons so that people using the old graphics have no changes. The thought of walking around and RPing in old Stormwind again gives me goosebumps, but jesus do I not want to see this ever again.