Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    People can learn fucking quickly this game is not hard to play at all. Blizzard has made it significantly easier with ability streamlining, pretty much telling you what your rotation is through buttons glowing, and so on.

Yesterday an ele shaman wanting to try enhancement out asked me for advice in org. I brought him up to the target dummies and within 5 minutes he went from doing 700k dps to doing almost 2 million with no min maxed gear. No tier. And only one legendary needed to make it work in tier 21 right now.

The problem is when most people refuse to learn and claim that older players are elitists for calling them lazy... because they fucking are.
    Had a similar experience with a newbie fire mage half a year ago, helped him improve. But he was also willing to take advice and to practice. I cannot stand people who don't have a clue and don't want to take advice, either. Even worse, if they have no manners.

Though I usually don't react to gold beggars, no matter how polite. I gladly help out with advice how to make money (which is really not hard today because you can sell almost anything in the AH for insane amounts), but I only gift gold to friends and guild mates. I never begged for gold, especially not people who are total strangers to me.

5+ Year Old Account
    I help people if they are nice. I was also new player long time ago, not much people helped me and I was sad cause of it. Some people were also mean and calling me things for not playing properly. I decided to improve and promised myself that I will be the same person the day I joined this game. A nice person. I don’t help people however if they are rude and taking me for granted, ie. when I am a part of some boost run and I’m not getting share.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Um... you having a different experience than me doesn't automatically make my experiences the 'exception'. That isn't how it works.
    Maybe I worded it wrongly or maybe you're misunderstanding. I'm saying if there was a poll, your experience would be the minority. It's both commonly known and commonly accepted that servers by and large back then were both their own individual communities and also policed themselves socially. There were consequences to your actions back then. Never said anything about the other words you're trying to put in my mouth.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like most the of the people i have read about here I do help if i´m asked politely rather then "Pet where you get it! " or something along those lines. Sometimes I´m bored of farming something alone so I offer a boost/team up if anyone wants but thats more to all then new players.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KronosIII View Post
    You probably don't know how to warm up to people and probably sound like a jerk. This has never happened to me and I do it on a daily basis. Always ask permission before mouthing off at people. Ask, "Hey buddy, I actually play that class a bit. Can I give you a nice tip I learned that helped me?"

I Have never got a FU. You are most likely a jerk when talking to people.
    Yeah, it's important not to be a jerk, and you should never mouth off at people. But I really don't see the need all the time to ask for permission to offer advice if you're in a group with someone.

I had the oddest experience doing Pit or Saron the other day for TW. The group had been mostly silent after the initial round of hellos and just got on with the job. But it was pretty clear to me that the group was not that familiar with the dungeon (no one hiding behind boulders for the first boss, people not running away from the explosion on the second boss, people not skipping the trash on the ramp before the tunnel, etc). It was basically just zerging, and it was no big deal because we weren't wiping. But when we got to Tyrannis and I quickly typed out

"Remember to stop dps/healing if you are targetted by brand"

To which the tank replies:

"You don't pay my sub"

I found his response very odd. The last boss on Pit of Saron can be a real pain if people don't understand how brand works. It can wipe the group, and the corpse run is a long one. So it's something I just do as standard, and I can't say I've ever had a response like that before. I guess some people are just really insecure and feel threatened when someone offers them advice.

I mean if the guy was rational, he'd realise that my comment wasn't directed at him specifically. It was directed to anyone at the group who might not know about it. People who did know about it can basically just ignore it. But ultimately my comment was intended to be helpful, and I certainly didn't see anything disrespectful about it.

What was quite funny was that the brand was mostly ignored. Luckily for the tank the one dps in the group who could kill him was me and while I was tempted (because the irony would have just been too much) it just didn't seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTrombone View Post
    So a few weeks ago I was curious as to how other experienced players treat the new players. I know that I like to help them out to a certain extent but there comes a time when they have to be fine on their own. I posted a thread about it, like asking other experienced players how they feel. Honestly I thought there were going to be a lot more responses of people not wanting to help new players but that was surprisingly not the case. I mean like sure there were some, but there were also equal amounts of people who felt positively about new players and people who had no thoughts on them, they felt neutral.

I posted the question "when you are playing your main character, how lenient are you with new players and how much are you willing to help the new players in WoW? " on three different forums. This one, IcyVeins and WoWhead. 32 people actually responded with their thoughts and it was really cool to see how other people felt about newbies in the game. It literally came out to 10 people feeling positive, 10 people feeling negative, and 10 people just neutral about it which is totally not what I expected at all.

Anyone have thoughts?
    It all really comes down to the willingness new players have to learn and improve themselves.

I won't run after new players to explain them what to do. It's their responsability to know that they have to ask question to improve.

I replied to countless requests in game from players wanting advices on how to play a certain spec I'm used to or what tools / addons / website can be used to make things better.

If they ask a question it means they are willing to learn so I oblige. If not, well, it's their loss

10+ Year Old Account
    i always help them.

but most of the people who ask for help think you've become their personal butler or something.
    they often never stop asking for help, until the end of time.
    you log in, first whisper is always that guy, etc.

so i might become more abrupt at some point.
    and they might think i'm an asshole. but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Maybe I worded it wrongly or maybe you're misunderstanding. I'm saying if there was a poll, your experience would be the minority. It's both commonly known and commonly accepted that servers by and large back then were both their own individual communities and also policed themselves socially. There were consequences to your actions back then. Never said anything about the other words you're trying to put in my mouth.
    Considering the vast majority of the post you semi-quoted has nothing to do with putting 'other words' in your mouth, I'll assume you didn't actually read what I said.

And I never said servers didn't 'police' themselves. I've seen stuff like people being blacklisted over mount ninja-ing, people kicked out of guilds and blacklisted for underhanded shit/causing drama/etc. Absolutely, that stuff happened back then - my point wasn't that it didn't. My point was that, just as the game has it's share of scummy, shitty people now... it had them then as well.

Don't be so quick to assume that someone trying to have a conversation with you, even one of disagreement, is trying to 'put words' in your mouth.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ichorist View Post
    Seat of the triumvirate has ruined my want to help new or returning players. Karazan quests were fine, but the damn armory quest murders my soul.
    Yeah, looking up the named mob, and determining which ability is most important to interrupt is soul-murderering.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I was also new player long time ago, not much people helped me and I was sad cause of it. Some people were also mean and calling me things for not playing properly.
    That sucks, I'm sorry.

I've always felt the same way, to try and be the same person I was even when I was 'noob' at WoW. When I started a few people really helped me become a better player (especially with warriors, because I was a tank) and I've always tried to pay that forward and help others.

And like you said, I have no interest in helping rude people or those who take helpful players for granted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Yeah, it's important not to be a jerk, and you should never mouth off at people. But I really don't see the need all the time to ask for permission to offer advice if you're in a group with someone.

I had the oddest experience doing Pit or Saron the other day for TW. The group had been mostly silent after the initial round of hellos and just got on with the job. But it was pretty clear to me that the group was not that familiar with the dungeon (no one hiding behind boulders for the first boss, people not running away from the explosion on the second boss, people not skipping the trash on the ramp before the tunnel, etc). It was basically just zerging, and it was no big deal because we weren't wiping. But when we got to Tyrannis and I quickly typed out

"Remember to stop dps/healing if you are targetted by brand"

To which the tank replies:

"You don't pay my sub"

I found his response very odd. The last boss on Pit of Saron can be a real pain if people don't understand how brand works. It can wipe the group, and the corpse run is a long one. So it's something I just do as standard, and I can't say I've ever had a response like that before. I guess some people are just really insecure and feel threatened when someone offers them advice.

I mean if the guy was rational, he'd realise that my comment wasn't directed at him specifically. It was directed to anyone at the group who might not know about it. People who did know about it can basically just ignore it. But ultimately my comment was intended to be helpful, and I certainly didn't see anything disrespectful about it.

What was quite funny was that the brand was mostly ignored. Luckily for the tank the one dps in the group who could kill him was me and while I was tempted (because the irony would have just been too much) it just didn't seem worth it.
    Yeah, there was nothing wrong with what you did. Likewise, I'll put strategy out there (i.e "run that out, or it blows up the raid") whenever I see its needed.

What I won't do, however, is the condescending 'hey I noticed u r playing ur class wrong' thing that so many players do. I know that in their mind they think they're helping... but honestly its rude. I give advice on classes when people ask me for advice on classes, which happens quite a bit with warriors/hunters (the 2 I'm best known for playing in my guild/circle of friends).
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I will help noobs if they ask first.
    I will tell them how to be better at rogue if they ask first.
    I will even give 2 or 3k of gold if they ask for it.

Basically I wont help anyone if they dont ask for help. Is not my damn business otherwise.

My point was that, just as the game has it's share of scummy, shitty people now... it had them then as well.
    Literally no one is saying otherwise. That's a non sequitur. The point was that, back then being a scummy, shitty person had consequences on a social level and within your standing among the community on that server, compared to now with the anonymous, cross-realm nonsense and complete lack of community.

Don't be so quick to assume that someone trying to have a conversation with you, even one of disagreement, is trying to 'put words' in your mouth.
    I'm not, and I don't. And then you went and said -

So yeah. It might be fun to pretend vanilla was a time of harmony and all the players holding hands, but it really wasn't.
    No one said that. Not the guy you replied to, and certainly not me. And don't assume -- what's that saying again?

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    my thought is : go make a fresh boosted level 110 and see for yourself how "helpfull" wow community is .

im sure you will be more then welcome in mythic + and raids

then come here and tell us how it went

im sure it will be amazing experience full of fun and joy

- - - Updated - - -

ye sucks to be new players in ever rushing to the end enviroment.

thats why blizzard should let people with multple alts to skips certain part of game so they dont make new players experience worse on purpose jsut because they are in hurry

lets say if you have 10 level 80 you can skip and start on level 40 , if you have 10 level 100 you can start from 60 and if in BfA if you have 10x120 you could start new alts from level 80.

this would ensure that people who dont want to be there dont make new players ...sad.
    I like where you are going with this skipping thing, but I feel once you have leveled 1 character through the new content there should be an option to boost all your alts from that point. I have always hated the leveling experience, and just want it over with I dont read quests just go where I need to go to finish them, I just want good OL dungeon spamming to level back where I could just play a Hybrid and Insta Q and level in a few days through dungeons only.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't usually find myself talking to newer players but if I look at it subjectively then I could say that I've been the "new" player coming in before. This could be doing Argus for the first time or trying to main warlock which I have limited experience in. People have always been helpful and understanding if I state "I do not know what I'm doing" instead of lie and get caught doing so.

I'm super helpful to new players or people seeking advice. The WoW community has it's share of trolls but there are plenty of helpful vets out there. I recently came back after 7 months away and had questions about some things as I felt pretty disjointed. There were many helpful people that took the time to help me out with my questions. The problem is, toxic people tend to have a far greater affect on the game.