10+ Year Old Account

Wireless extenders

Looking to get a wireless extender to boost my router's range. A powerline one won't work because the room I want to boost it to is on a different electricity line, same building, separate bills, separate fuse box. Looks like this one suits the purpose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XYEPL...r_ob_3?ie=UTF8

First question, what's with the 2 speeds added together (300 Mbps + 450 Mbps)?

Second question, they all plug directly into the wall with no extension while one of the top tips for router positioning is to place it away from the wall???

Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Looking to get a wireless extender to boost my router's range. A powerline one won't work because the room I want to boost it to is on a different electricity line, same building, separate bills, separate fuse box. Looks like this one suits the purpose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XYEPL...r_ob_3?ie=UTF8

First question, what's with the 2 speeds added together (300 Mbps + 450 Mbps)?

Second question, they all plug directly into the wall with no extension while one of the top tips for router positioning is to place it away from the wall???
    This model has simultaneous dual band capabilities with 300 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 450 Mbps on the 5GHz band.

Well you'd get potentially better coverage if you placed it in the center of the room especially if the room is huge or oddly shaped, but for most cases wall mounting works just fine.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2018-05-29 at 03:26 PM.

I finally gave in and bought a wireless mesh router and I love it. seamless hand off from one to the other.