Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question White guy acting as Martin Luther King Jr in a movie

This topic is not a debate about race or skin color. This is about the socially accepted limits for movies, tv shows and videogames.

Recently we are seeing lots of diversity in tv series, movies and videogames like for example: Troy series with black guy acting as Achilles, an African-Polish mix race woman acting as ethnically French national hero Joan of arc and Margaret queen of England, which is being acted by a mix-raced woman.

Would it be okay and should a white guy act as a Martin Luther King Jr. in a potential tv show, movie or a videogame in the future? Would you be okay with that? Is there a limit what should or should not be done? Or is it just a movie and everything is okay?

I'd be fine with anything but I'm white.
    Can see quite a uproar from certain demographics if they'd use a white biscuit to fill in that role.

I think it would kill the careers of everyone involved.

No. Straight cissss white men are the untouchables in the 2018 caste system.

That would be stupid, and not remotely equivalent.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    No it wouldn't be okay, just like anything else you listed isn't okay. We know what race all these people were, and there's no need to change history just because you have drunk too much soy milk.

Deleted
    No, I think roles should be played by what they originally were. I don't think Martin Luther King should be played by a white guy and I don't think any of the other examples you gave should have been played by black people (if its true what you're saying).

Let's put it this way. If I was a white actor, I'd feel very uncomfortable playing MLK knowing American history. I wouldn't do it.

It would be interesting to see people being hypocrites on both sides.

Because you know they will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionexe View Post
    This topic is not a debate about race or skin color. This is about the socially accepted limits for movies, tv shows and videogames.

Recently we are seeing lots of diversity in tv series, movies and videogames like for example: Troy series with black guy acting as Achilles, an African-Polish mix race woman acting as ethnically French national hero Joan of arc and Margaret queen of England, which is being acted by a mix-raced woman.

Would it be okay and should a white guy act as a Martin Luther King Jr. in a potential tv show, movie or a videogame in the future? Would you be okay with that? Is there a limit what should or should not be done? Or is it just a movie and everything is okay?
    No, if a white actor played Martin Luther King, I would not watch the show on principle alone.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Yes, please, someone do this. I'd love to see US social media blow up over this. Or a dark fantasy movie. Marthin Luther King, Werewolf Hunter. "I have a dream. That couples can walk under the full moon without the fear of bein' bitten by a rotten werewolf!'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    No, if a white actor played Martin Luther King, I would not watch the show on principle alone.
    Just out of interest. Would you watch the other stuff he listed? Or boycott that as well for the same reasons?

If it's a movie about historical event than I'd be upset but a white guy taking on the role of black panther or anything fictional I'd fine. If it's satire I'd be fine with it though
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-05-30 at 03:17 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Deleted
    It would be kind of hilarious, a white guy talking about the discrimination against black people etc. etc..

If he can pull it off, then good for him. Robert Downey Jr. pulled off a convincing black guy, and Rob Schneider made a hilarious Hawaiian.

Sounds like Hamilton in reverse. Won't fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    If it's a movie about history, I'd be upset but a white guy playing black panther or fiction is fine.
    Potentially. Troy wasn't a story about Race and Joan of Arc wasn't a story about race. So i'm ok with that. Now if Joan of Arc was played by a man, then I would not watch that out of principle.

The character's message and what they fought for should matter in casting the actor who will play the role.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    X happened so Y has to happen, riiiiiiight?

Nope, it doesn't and won't.

The character's skin colour is important. His role changes significantly if he's not black. If someone's race is incidental to what they did, it's fine, but for a leader of the civil rights movement it matters that he's black.

10+ Year Old Account
    That wouldn't fly over too well.