Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Do you mean other than white evangelicals, especially those in the South?
    Interestingly, and this borders on forbidden topics but it's informative so I'll tiptoe near the edge here, Blacks and Hispanics are much more likely to adhere to religious beliefs that many interpret simply as "anti-LGBT".

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-as-gods-word/

Whites in the south are credited with much of the sentiment, but when people talk about religious individuals who hold what some may simply call "anti-LGBT" religious views, they're talking mostly about Blacks and Hispanics.

And this is coming from a white guy who holds religious views, so I'm not knocking them.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2018-06-08 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    Not that this study is saying anything new, but if the extremely low intelligence of the bigots on this forum is anything to go on, then the study's conclusions are very accurate.
    All we have to do is look at youm, thanks.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The R^2 values in their appendix make me think the publishers have a pretty good sense of humor.
    Care to elaborate? I couldn't find a link to the full paper that wasn't behind a paywall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Care to elaborate? I couldn't find a link to the full paper that wasn't behind a paywall.
    You're not going to find anything worthwile, the study was based on survey unrelated to the study, they just used it for the purpose, a very biased study.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Interestingly, and this borders on forbidden topics but it's informative so I'll tiptoe near the edge here, Blacks and Hispanics are much more likely to adhere to religious beliefs that many interpret simply as "anti-LGBT".

Whites in the south are credited with much of the sentiment, but when people talk about religious individuals who hold what some may simply call "anti-LGBT" religious views, they're talking mostly about Blacks and Hispanics.

And this is coming from a white guy who holds religious views, so I'm not knocking them.
    And what does that have to do with support for gay marriage?

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/c...-gay-marriage/

And what does that have to do with support for gay marriage?

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/c...-gay-marriage/
    It was simply a response to what seemed like an inference that evangelical whites reign supreme over other racial groups in what could be described as "anti LGBT" views. Historically, religious individuals in America have been in opposition of same-sex couples, and a greater percentage of them are non-white. Admittedly, we'd have to divide out each racial subset in the Pew study to find out the racial breakdown of same-sex marriage support, but my point was more about religiosity in racial makeup.

It was simply a response to what seemed like an inference that evangelical whites reign supreme over other racial groups in what could be described as "anti LGBT" views. Historically, religious individuals in America have been in opposition of same-sex couples, and a greater percentage of them are non-white. Admittedly, we'd have to divide out the subset of each racial group in the Pew study to find out the racial breakdown, but my point was more about the religiosity in racial makeup.
    And I just provided a survey to back up what I said, that white evangelicals are more opposed to gay marriage than even black Protestants.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherius View Post
    Believing something is classified as a medical condition when it is not, is proof they are less intelligent.
    The only reason why Homosexuality isn't classified as a condition is because humans think they exist for any other reason than to pass on their genes. If we can't do the one thing we're biologically designed to do after puberty, then it's a condition.

That being said, who really cares how it's classified? Tons of people have bad eyes but we don't bother them about it. Being bigoted is the topic here. Stigmas are the problem, not the classification.

Do you mean other than white evangelicals, especially those in the South?
    Oh I see. Let me take a closer look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we have this same big thread less than a week ago? It's kind of ludicrous to say that bigoted people have low cognitive ability when they've been creating complex systems to persecute those minorities for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    The only reason why Homosexuality isn't classified as a condition is because humans think they exist for any other reason than to pass on their genes. If we can't do the one thing we're biologically designed to do after puberty, then it's a condition.

That being said, who really cares how it's classified? Tons of people have bad eyes but we don't bother them about it. Being bigoted is the topic here. Stigmas are the problem, not the classification.
    Is being left handed a condition?

"Low Cognitive Ability Linked To Prejudice"

Seems like an obvious conclusion to me. I'm not sure the exact prejudice matters.

Is being left handed a condition?
    No? Why would it be one? How does being left handed impede on survival or passing on genes?
    Last edited by Goldielocks; 2018-06-08 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    No? Why would it? How does being left handed impede on survival or passing on genes?
    Requires you to hold your sword in your left hand, leading your heart unprotected by the shield in your right hand.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

And I just provided a survey to back up what I said, that white evangelicals are more opposed to gay marriage than even black Protestants.
    That's informative, thanks for linking it. White Evangelical Protestants do support same sex marriage at a lower percentage (36%) than Black Protestants (44%).

Consider me smarter than I was 10 minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Requires you to hold your sword in your left hand, leading your heart unprotected by the shield in your right hand.
    While it makes sense since the heart is slightly to the left, making a shield on your left more effective, that scenario is still awfully specific.

Something like having myopia fucks you 100% of the time, regardless of the situation.

Depends on the type of cognition in question. Cognitive ability includes the ability to reason and build new mental information, so those with a low ability will tend to stick to old beliefs as they were told as children rather than develop new ones with fresh information. In addition, if we use Gardner's multiple intelligence theory, then they could have had really good mathematical intelligence and lower existential or interpersonal intelligence.

Been studying cognitive development as part of my teaching course. Couldn't resist throwing some info out

Quote Originally Posted by Orgroxx View Post
    Depends on the type of cognition in question. Cognitive ability includes the ability to reason and build new mental information, so those with a low ability will tend to stick to old beliefs as they were told as children rather than develop new ones with fresh information. In addition, if we use Gardner's multiple intelligence theory, then they could have had really good mathematical intelligence and lower existential or interpersonal intelligence.

Been studying cognitive development as part of my teaching course. Couldn't resist throwing some info out
    Semi related question. Would you consider bigotry and the prejudices caused by it a way of less intelligent individuals to protect themselves from having to challenge themselves?

Did not take a study to tell me this. Dumb people are dumb, so they cant understand anything but themselves, if even that.

So, you're using a survey that simply asks about reading scripture and see the bible as god's words and interpreting that as being anti-LGBT? This is an astounding amount of mental gymnastics. Many people interpret the bible differently.