Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    You're like sand in this thread.
    Sand to your Anakin Skywalker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Well this is where Harry Potter does it right where Star Wars does it poorly: Harry was really not that special in terms of abilities, he was pretty average in extraordinary situations and had to rely on his friends to survive (Granger being the smarter and most talented magic user of their group, no less, although she has some character flaws). Harry's flaws and lack of abilitiy get him in trouble quite often, as well, however he is constantly helped along the way, even from behind the scenes in many cases, to be able to overcome great odds in the end. It's even revealed that the only thing that makes Harry "special" was that Voldemort chose to interpret a prophecy one way, as it easily could've been Longbottom instead of Potter as the main hero.
    Don't forget his ultimate victory over Voldemort wasn't due to his overwhelming power or raw talent at dueling, but because Voldemort ran afoul of the technicalities of wand ownership and didn't realize he couldn't beat Harry with the Elder Wand as a result.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Post Explosive View Post
    People are tired of it.

Moaning about racism, about inequality. It's all a load of bullshit - women have it better than men ever had. Minorities have it better than white people ever had it. That is why we're tired of it.

At this point any pandering to SJW norms is just an attempt to make minorities privileged over everyone else.
    One might even argue that white men were, in fact, the real victims all along.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Don't forget his ultimate victory over Voldemort wasn't due to his overwhelming power or raw talent at dueling, but because Voldemort ran afoul of the technicalities of wand ownership and didn't realize he couldn't beat Harry with the Elder Wand as a result.
    Everything Harry did was largely through the machinations of Dumbledore as well. Luck and Dumbledore.

Unlike Rey, who had the potential to be a decent character with TLJ but they threw that out the window to make sure she's the bestest Jedi ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Kylo is mocking Poe. Did you even watch the movie?
    I did, and thought Poe was a bit boring. He doesn't exactly have any flaws either, even though TLJ tried to make it look like he did.

That's not what a Mary Sue is. Stop using terms you don't understand and I'll stop chastising you for it.
    "A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character."

Maybe you should stop twisting definitions to suit yourself.

Nothing you've mentioned as a supposed negative character trait in Rey has had any negative effect on her. None.

She waltzes through the movies with no consequences to her actions (unlike Luke). She could have been an interesting character, and I actually really liked TFA on the basis that they had opportunities to develop characters into interesting personalities that we'd actually give two shits about. They could have actually made her desire to belong to a family get her in real trouble but she didn't. They could have made her naivety get her into trouble but they didn't.

Instead we get bland characters with no sense of development and older characters unceremoniously dumped off to the side with no care given to the existing Star Wars story.

I know that people like to place the blame with Kathleen Kennedy, and truth be told, a producer should know better. But Rian Johnson wrote this drivel, and directed it. Really it's mostly his fault for trying to make Star Wars "his" and make his mark. I actually really like the idea of having better representation of women and minorities (makes sense since I'm not white), but lazy writing and shoehorning is a poor way to go about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    "Luke had it worse sometimes so Rey is totes a Mary Sue." Idk about you, but being captured and only escaping because Kylo was emo and killed smoak is a pretty big "well i dun fucked up" moment.
    No consequence to her actions. Even when Vader turned on Palpatine, Luke had to be tortured for a while before anything happened.

In ESB, Luke is pretty beaten up throughout the movie (Wampa, battle against the Empire, training with Yoda, Vader kicking his ass) whereas Rey has nothing happen to her.

I can tell you didn't watch the movies, or only paid attention to the flashy parts. Hint, the Jedi books aren't gone despite Yoda destroying the tree.
    Yes, where Yoda says she has everything she needs already. So she's striking out on her own with only the parts of the Jedi religion she apparently needs with none of the filler and is being set up to be the paragon of the Light.

Apparently I paid better attention that you seem to condescendingly imply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    its late so ill just post some pictures of the people you think she has "shown up" before i go to bed.

vader taking on probably 100's of rebels, rey takes on like 3 guys at most?

--snip--

luke shaking a star destroyer with a force push before he had any training, rey lifts some rocks? pulls a saber? not very impressive.

--snip--
    --snip--

and luke beating bobba fett with the force while blind again with no training.

--snip--
    --snip--

I could go on but i wont, but i could.

hopefully this isn't to long for the mods liking.
    If you have to rely on external media, then you've failed in making your point.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

I think it's more the casting decision to bring the race/ethnicity and not the best actor. They wanted a diverse cast which came at the cost of good acting.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Is she punished for here endlessly naivete? No, a flaw that have no impact is not a flaw.

Is she punished for here overconfidence that she can convert baby vader? No, a flaw that have no impact is not a flaw.

Is she punished for it? Do she have a moral crisis? No she reject very fast him....a flaw that have no impact is not a flaw.

Is she punished for not listen to others? Was it a probelm that she did not lissen to Luke? The point was she did not need him, a flaw that have no impact is not a flaw.

That is a flaw, but it is not consistency, but I give you that it did have a impact, she did run awhay from Maz Kanata and Han Solo, and was punished for it.. Kylo did capture here.

Luke did save the galaxy, so she was right to think that.... but she do not louse fate or have a existential crisis then Jake Skywalker is a disappointment.

Lets see she have a strong sense of justice, want to helpe, charming and trust people....yes it is a very flawed personality, that a person who grow up like Rey have all that positive personality attributes and is not a cynical lone wolf who only trust herself....
    Everything you listed is main character qualities, not mary sue like so many want to push. She has flaws, but also unreasonable positive qualities because she is the main character. Just as Anakin, a slave child, shouldn't have been this happy little boy that can magically drive something no other human could, Rey has her positive quirks because she is the main character. I will never argue that star wars characters are really well written, but this mary sue shit is the internet being absolutely silly.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    its late so ill just post some pictures of the people you think she has "shown up" before i go to bed.

SNIP
    I could go on but i wont, but i could.

hopefully this isn't to long for the mods liking.
    Seriously? maybe if any of that was cannon... but it isn't.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is "female character that's too powerful" really the summary of this 56-page thread?

If Harry Potter was Harriet Potter instead, I guess people would have lost their fucking minds.
    Nah it was 90s and early 2000s. No one then would care.

But is John Stewart became a Green Lantern today people would completely lose their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is "female character that's too powerful" really the summary of this 56-page thread?

If Harry Potter was Harriet Potter instead, I guess people would have lost their fucking minds.
    Harry Potter already has JK Rowling own self-insert, Hermione, who is vastly smarter than everyone around her and no one really cared.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    I have no idea what the comic are from... but it look like after or during ESB... becuse of Boba Fet and the clothes... hence Luke DID have training.....
    Thess comics are inbetween ANH and ESB at this point luke didn’t know there were any Jedi Alive and had no training other then some saber training from the storm trooper there.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2018-06-09 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    Harry Potter already has JK Rowling own self-insert, Hermione, who is vastly smarter than everyone around her and no one really cared.
    Its probably just a thing with the different fandoms. Star wars fandom has a bad habit of being toxic as fuck when everything isn't exactly how they always dreamed in their fanfiction. Potter fandom is pretty chill from my experience.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    If you have to rely on external media, then you've failed in making your point.
    If you want to ignore the starwars universe go ahead, I will not do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logorrhea View Post
    I think it's more the casting decision to bring the race/ethnicity and not the best actor. They wanted a diverse cast which came at the cost of good acting.
    I don’t think the problem is the acting finn and rey seem fine when they let them actually act the problem is there written as bland one note automatons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Seriously? maybe if any of that was cannon... but it isn't.
    Litteraly all of that is cannon. If you want me to get none cannon sources I can as well they are even more extreme.

10+ Year Old Account

Litteraly all of that is cannon. If you want me to get none cannon sources I can as well they are even more extreme.
    I enjoy how your example of Mary Sue Incarnate not being a Mary Sue is comparing her to the most powerful force user ever, the literal chosen one who was conceived by the force, who by the point of your example had spent decades, almost his entire life, honing his force skills.

Meanwhile Mary Sue Incarnate just... Sat in an interrogation room chair one day and in that exact moment, having never before used the force, became expert in all things the force.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I enjoy how your example of Mary Sue Incarnate not being a Mary Sue is comparing her to the most powerful force user ever, the literal chosen one who was conceived by the force, who by the point of your example had spent decades, almost his entire life, honing his force skills.

Meanwhile Mary Sue Incarnate just... Sat in an interrogation room chair one day and in that exact moment, having never before used the force, became expert in all things the force.
    Not the point. She hasn’t one upped every one we have seen before. You also ignore luke who is also using the force with no training and doing more with it then rey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not the point. She hasn’t one upped every one we have seen before. You also ignore luke who is also using the force with no training and doing more with it then rey.
    Luke did have training... And early in his life, when the training was lacking, he got his shit stomped... He could barely grasp his lightsaber from a few feet away after an THREE YEARS of honing what Obi-wan taught him in A New Hope... After training with Yoda, he literally could do nothing to defend himself against Vader and was easily bested.

It was only another year later after reflecting on Yoda's teachings that he could finally use the force, and even then while restrained, he was still bested by Vader. It was only after completely losing control and lashing out he was able to win, then regaining his composure.

So your comparison is ridiculous... It took Luke three movies, the training of two Jedi masters, four years, multiple defeats and setbacks, etc., to gain a grasp of the force.

Once again, it took Mary Sue Incarnate one poorly written scene in the middle of a poorly written movie, with no training at all, to become just as, if not more powerful in the force in one instant than Luke was at the end of the original trilogy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Luke did have training... And early in his life, when the training was lacking, he got his shit stomped... He could barely grasp his lightsaber from a few feet away after an THREE YEARS of honing what Obi-wan taught him in A New Hope... After training with Yoda, he literally could do nothing to defend himself against Vader and was easily bested.

It was only another year later after reflecting on Yoda's teachings that he could finally use the force, and even then while restrained, he was still bested by Vader. It was only after completely losing control and lashing out he was able to win, then regaining his composure.

So your comparison is ridiculous... It took Luke three movies, the training of two Jedi masters, four years, multiple defeats and setbacks, etc., to gain a grasp of the force.

Once again, it took Mary Sue Incarnate one poorly written scene in the middle of a poorly written movie, with no training at all, to become just as, if not more powerful in the force in one instant than Luke was at the end of the original trilogy.
    You didn’t actually see the pages I linked did you? Your just replying to the stuff on this page arnt you? Luke did more with the force before he got any training before ESB then rey has done in her two movies. I am not comparing ROTJ luke to TFA rey I’m comparing luke before ESB.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t think the problem is the acting finn and rey seem fine when they let them actually act the problem is there written as bland one note automatons.

- - - Updated - - -

Really, all of that is cannon post disney making everything outside the movies non-cannon?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Really, all of that is cannon post disney making everything outside the movies non-cannon?
    Disney didn’t make every thing none cannon just most of it, stuff like the clone wars is still canon. But ya theses comics are the new Disney canon.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2018-06-09 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    "SJWs and their identity politics have killed Star Wars."

*Star Wars movie focused on a straight white male releases and bombs*

"SEE!!!"

Derp.
    Clearly the blowback of TLJ have nothing to do with this, it's more probable that the entire SW fanbase decided to hate white males overnight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idc about the entire rey thing, beyond her parents being nobodies. The entire the last jedi was bullshit. The sjw of this is the fact that holden specifically decided to not tell the most decorated pilot that has literally most of the factions faith, specifically because she didn't want to. She didn't need to tell no man what she wanted, and she paid the ultimate price because of it. The the entire movie trashing the legacy. The film looked visually good, but the story sucked balls.

Solo sucked because of the straight up sjw droid and the actor whom played solo. And really? Did we need a solo film? No we didnt. And it's clear that the viewers agree.

Want to have a female lead? Idc. Rogue one sucked for the most part because of its story. There were a few good scenes, and vader literally stole the entire film with his one scene. While her acting was bland, it wasn't down to the actress... it was down to the story. Same with rey. All rey is is just like but a female. Hell, originally luke was planned to be a female. Idc about females in meh star wars. I care about political agenda just for the sake of attempting to appease snowflakes. How about trying and making a good story first, than having poe joke to hux for a good few minutes with dated references? How about making a truly war torn girl with psychological issues about the death of her sister than the garbage pile of a forced love story we got?