Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How to break the casual raiding barrier and join top tier mythic guilds in BFA

You can go from an LFR raider to a top 100 world mythic raider in a single tier assuming you start the process at the beginning of the tier. Beginning of expansions are the best place to start this process. Many players are stuck in the LFR/casual raiding scene and can't seem to break that barrier into mythic content. Here is a straightforward 100% way to break that barrier in BFA.

1. Find a lower progressed guild at the start of BFA (World ranked 3000+) who will take pretty much anyone. Get gear. Get some logs.

2. Once you've acquired those, leave that guild and find a guild world ranked ~2000. Get some gear don't worry too much about good logs, they won't matter too much at this level of play. Also they will be more progressed which means more chances at loot.

3. Find a guild world ranked 1000-1500ish. This is where you want to focus and getting some really nice parses and don't die.

4. Find a guild world ranked 850ish. This is where logs start coming into play as guilds around this rank will pay a little more attention to your logs. Again, get better gear, get better logs.

5. Find a 300-500 world rank guild. Once you're in, you will want to focus 100% on getting some strong percentile parses and getting as much loot as you can.

From here on out it's simple rinse and repeat until you're comfortable in the spot you're in.

Extra tips:

*If you fuck up a lot and your warcraftlogs is looking like shit and/or your guild changing pattern is looking suspicious. Name change and start fresh. WCL and wowprogress won't track your new name.

*You pay money to play this game, no one else pays your subscription fee. Don't feel compelled to base your decision in the interest of people other than yourself.

*Logs are everything. When applying to a guild that is a world ranked 101< 99% chance they will take a loot at your parses and if they look pretty you will have a high chance of being accepted.

*Masterloot is GONE. That's right, you have the same chance as getting loot as everyone else in the group regardless of anything. Use this to your advantage when finding the perfect home for you.

A lot of people will say "this wouldn't work with my guild blah blah blah" but the sad fact is most guilds 101< don't care who the recruits are as long as they are decent players with logs to back it up! Especially with master loot gone, if a strong player is looking to join a guild, why wouldn't they accept them?
    Last edited by mmoce81e69ea37; 2018-06-08 at 05:09 PM.

It actually isn't anywhere as hard as this. I also wouldn't use rankings but rather just look for a guild with similar progression to your current level. I have never had a guild care about more then two weeks of logs and have been as far as world third in mop. I wouldn't bother with a name change the community isn't that right anymore.

You don't really "need" to raid heroic in most cases it helps but if you can put groups together knocking out mythic plus for a few days getting 15+level gear will suffice in most places.

The sad thing is that this is the most efficient way of gearing up nowadays, thx for removing ML blizz....

Study fights without your guild telling you to do so. Do your homework and always be prepared. Be on time. You will have to leave a few guilds so be prepared for that. But overall just joining a heroic guild, getting some good logs, doing a few early mythic bosses with them and see how their fair and then going to greener pastures is what you should be doing.

Also, never aim too high. As @TelefonoGatewood said, " Apply to a guild that matches your ambition of play". But be TRUE to yourself. Dont lie thinking you got what it takes to raid 4-5 days a week and do split runs and be all hardcore and shit if you know you will burn out fast and get demotivated cause of it.

Take me for example. Back in Cataclysm, I raider semi-hardcore while in school/college 4-5 days a week, playing quite a lot and with raid extensions and all that jazz. That's because I really wanted to see how it was to raid in that environment and me and my friends got the opportunity to play for the nr.1 guild on our realm. So we took it. And we did good.

Now ? Fuck me. I'm working, I come home pretty tired. I got other adulting stuff to do besides work, then some social stuff and I no longer have the energy to raid in that fashion. Could I do it IF I REALLLLLLY wanted to ? Sure I could go to work with 4-5 hours a sleep for some sweet pixels but I no longer poses the motivation to do so. I've got my fair share of raiding experience at a "higher level" and I'm content. And this is where being truthful with yourself comes in. I sometimes feel I got what it takes again to raid like that and it would be fun to be in a guild that actually progresses in a timely manner on mythic bosses and doesnt get stuck at 4/11 or smth where the difficulty ramps up.

Then I start and think to myself....yeah sure but I'll get burnt out easily after a few weeks like this of having this kinda schedule. So If I were to raid again outside pugs , I'd stick with 2 day guilds that raid can raid SOME mythic and just do that.

Well, that's really trying to play solo in MMO and don't give a shit about the other players isn't it?

Zero loyalty, zero friends you care enough not do quit.

That must be really fun...

I'm sorry but one thing we also look is how much time you are staying in the guilds you joined and your raid history... so if you keep swapping guilds and you have zero mythic history because you named change (yes, WCL and WowProgress can track it), you may be rejected because people are actually looking for players that will fit well in the group and get involved.

Especially at top level where you spend a lot more time together.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are already plenty of assholes playing this game, thanks for writing a "guide" to make more of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Well, that's really trying to play solo in MMO and don't give a shit about the other players isn't it?

I'm sorry but one thing we also look is how much time you are staying in the guilds you joined and your raid history... so if you keep swapping guilds and you have zero mythic history because you named change (yes, WCL and WowProgress can track it), you may be rejected because people are actually looking for players that will fit well in the group and get involved.

Yeah sorry but you're just hurting yourself if you decline players with good performance willing to spend their own money and lockout to transfer to trial with you based off their guild history or raid history because there are most likely more progressed guilds willing to trial them. Smart guilds realize they have more to gain than they have to lose by trialing any player who's performance matches or exceeds those in the guild.

And no WCL has difficulty tracking name changes. It tracks the amount of kills according to the armory but it does not track the logs associated with the kills when it comes to name changers. Wowprogress is a bit wonky and there are plenty of ways to hide yourself.
    Last edited by mmoce81e69ea37; 2018-06-10 at 09:02 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaLiSs View Post
    There are already plenty of assholes playing this game, thanks for writing a "guide" to make more of them.
    It may lead to the creation of assholes - or elitist personalities - but if these steps provide the intended results, well...

This is an antisocial way of playing WoW is is pure cancer to the game. There's no reason to recruit players like this because they second they get what they want, they bail. You cannot build a guild around these types.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-06-10 at 09:34 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Honestly, I've had much more trouble with finding a guild that raids late noon to early afternoon, as I do not allow myself to go to bed later than 22:30 because of gaming. It's been a problem for me for more than 3 years, causing me to go full casual, which really takes away from the game.

I don't even want progress per say. Just an adult friendly heroic guild that understands that WoW is a game. Wouldn't mind faction and server changing for one of those guilds.

I've followed OP's line every time I've jumped back into the game as a nobody, and it's not easy to leave these guilds. You make friends, and I still have some of them on my Real ID. It's nothing personal, it's just that if the guild you're in manages 7/10 in Nighthold, and you're hungry for Cutting Edge, you have to say your goodbyes. Again, it's nothing personal and the guild shouldn't take it that way.

That's not to say you should just loot and scoot. I'd spend months with a guild even if I thought I wanted something better, and if I had already begun the application process with other guilds, I would low-key turn down gear because "the other guy could make better use of it." This strategy outlined by OP doesn't create antisocial players in and of itself, it's unfortunately the only way you're going to go from an absolute nobody to a Cutting Edge player.

Who's 'we'? Players dip in and out of top 100 guilds often, quit, come back, so on and so forth. Actually never seen someone rejected from a decent guild on the basis of their guild history. Though guild hoppers are usually shown up in their logs and declined due to those.

You act like someone's going to jump between 8 guilds in a month, but those 5 stages will be over a series of months. I was in the same guild for 7 years. Not everyone in a guild is someone's friend. Hell, top 100's have raid loggers and lone wolves, you don't have to be friends with people to raid with them. Just competent. For some people, completing the raid is the fun, not having a laugh while doing it. Fucking around and laughing is for farm, not progress if that's your mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose if people are willing to pay for a name change to hide their history just to progress to a better-positioned guild there's no help that I can offer except to say I hope you never apply to our guild. We don't want you.

We are quaintly old-fashioned about team-building and helping one another. Guild-hopping assholes need not apply.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I suppose if people are willing to pay for a name change to hide their history just to progress to a better-positioned guild there's no help that I can offer except to say I hope you never apply to our guild. We don't want you.

We are quaintly old-fashioned about team-building and helping one another. Guild-hopping assholes need not apply.
    You can still figure out if somebody name changed. Websites like wowtrack.org will often pick up old names/guilds.

Way too many unnecessary steps in the OP indeed creating a situation where someone following that advice looks like guild hopper. You can usually climb a tier within 3 guilds assuming you're a good player and know what you're doing.

1. You come at start of a tier, join hc / bottom level mythic guild, gear up on the side as much as possible (m+, smart use of coins), get good heroic logs.

2. Join mid tier mythic guild that is capable of clearing most of the raid but maybe not very quick and not the end boss, clear 70-80% of the raid with them, get good mythic logs, experience and practice in mythic environment.

3. Apply to a guild that has cutting edge or at least fair chance at getting it. Done. Just don't screw up your trial.

You don't need to tiptoe through 5-7 different guilds, that indeed makes you look like guildhopper. If you're going for an upgrade, go for a big one. Swapping guilds because the other one is 20 ranks above you (and no, we aren't talking within top 20 world or close) is pretty silly unless your current guild has something bad going around except "slow progression".

And yeah, don't overestimate yourself, if you aim too high, you often end up as a bench boy, because any hardcore guild will always pick their best & most reliable performers first. Check the target guild logs and compare where would you fit into it.

Also most guild masters have eyes and they kinda expect if you outperform 90% of the guild by miles you will probably jump higher. Especially in casual guilds they will notice people with "competitive" attitude don't really match to the guild culture and won't stick around.

Just don't be a dick and if you plan to leave, notify your guild master / raid leader so they can look for replacements. People always come and go, have the decency to say goodbye instead of sneaking out in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by SaLiSs View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Sealth [Cenarius] Priest

Just pay 2m gold for a full mythic clear and get all your leet gear. Gold=king in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    Just pay 2m gold for a full mythic clear and get all your leet gear. Gold=king in this game.
    What game are you playing? Gold has never been king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Way too many unnecessary steps in the OP indeed creating a situation where someone following that advice looks like guild hopper. You can usually climb a tier within 3 guilds assuming you're a good player and know what you're doing.
    Honestly, my sentiments as well. Pretty much how you described, three guilds is usually all it takes unless you find that you don't mesh well with the guild membership or atmosphere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    You can go from an LFR raider to a top 100 world mythic raider in a single tier assuming you start the process at the beginning of the tier. Beginning of expansions are the best place to start this process. Many players are stuck in the LFR/casual raiding scene and can't seem to break that barrier into mythic content. Here is a straightforward 100% way to break that barrier in BFA.

A lot of people will say "this wouldn't work with my guild blah blah blah" but the sad fact is most guilds 101< don't care who the recruits are as long as they are decent players with logs to back it up! Especially with master loot gone, if a strong player is looking to join a guild, why wouldn't they accept them?
    Honestly? The reality is that many players that are stuck in the LFR/casual raiding scene are just not good enough to play at mythic raiding level.

I like the roflolol masterloot theme of the troll thread, but here is the actual reality:

1. 90% of people cannot do 90% percentile parses, even if the encounter is a single target, no movement, no adds, no danger, no mechanic environment.
    2. You will actually need to play around mythic mode mechanics and do it well.
    3. You will actually need to raid X many times per week, at Y specific hours. You will need to communicate during the raid in multiple encounters(and outside of).

And here's the catch, if you were already above and beyond the 1/2/3 issues above? You wouldn't be a casual/lfr raider already. The ML change is nothing.