Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

What few points that sound good have no citations that would reinforce that anyone actually claims to hold these values.
    Yeah, I find that really worrying. If you listen to Noam Chomsky for example, a lot of people would disagree with him, but he is absolutely meticulous in his sourcing. You can see the academic rigour there.

With Peterson there is almost literally nothing in the way of sources and citations when it comes to politics. It only took minutes for me to reallize that his loud denunciations of Marx for example, are based on total ignorance. He's never read Marx. That isn't to give Marx a pass, there's a lot I disagree with, but you do actually have to read something to criticize it.

I'm not really sure how he managed to become a professor. If I handed in an essay at my university without quotations and sources, I would have been kicked out. That's undergraduate level. This guy has somehow become a professor. He's like one of those people who impersonate doctors for years and get away with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC Campus Liberals are clearly dangerous. /s

But in terms of getting their followers to murder classmates, friends, and family. They're clearly lagging behind The_Donald and Ben Shapiro's youtube channel.

The video is pretty much highlighting extreme left ideals. I actually agree that such people are blind and hypocritical in their ideas of "equality", but there is nothing to indicate that this is common among teachers. Are there extremist teachers? Sure. There are extremists of all sorts. Some teachers are also sexual abusers, so lets make a video that sexual deviants are teaching your kids...

A pointless fear mongering tactic that is all too common. But with PragerU, not unsurprising.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    But in terms of getting their followers to murder classmates, friends, and family. They're clearly lagging behind The_Donald and Ben Shapiro's youtube channel.
    I am not going on that tangent, but the same dangerous people that are teaching our kids, were the same as those teaching Peterson. Unless they think there is some superiority to them, where despite the same education system he went to, being dangerous... they saw what no one else can see... there is no tangible evidance for him to be right.

When someone tries to push some sort of hand of god or predisposition, but talk about lobsters and bananas... While the golden ratio and primordial atom are actually theories that can be legitimately argued as both showing a pattern that can be perceived as predisposition and a singularity of a creator... it should be obvious what their ideas are based on. It’s not research... it’s not looking outside your comfort zone. It is the strange combination of projecting your flaws, while claiming superiority.

The reason I have Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid in my signature, is due to it’s relevance to problem solving. It explicitly attacks the premise currently being pushed by the likes of Peterson... or as Leonard Cohen put it “poets trying to sound like Charlie Manson”:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel,_Escher,_Bach

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, also known as GEB, is a 1979 book by Douglas Hofstadter. By exploring common themes in the lives and works of logician Kurt Gödel, artist M. C. Escher, and composer Johann Sebastian Bach, the book expounds concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence. Through illustration and analysis, the book discusses how self-reference and formal rules allow systems to acquire meaning despite being made of "meaningless" elements. It also discusses what it means to communicate, how knowledge can be represented and stored, the methods and limitations of symbolic representation, and even the fundamental notion of "meaning" itself.

In response to confusion over the book's theme, Hofstadter has emphasized that Gödel, Escher, Bach is not about the relationships of mathematics, art, and music, but rather about how cognition emerges from hidden neurological mechanisms. At one point in the book, he presents an analogy about how the individual neurons of the brain coordinate to create a unified sense of a coherent mind by comparing it to the social organization displayed in a colony of ants.

The tagline "a metaphorical fugue on minds and machines in the spirit of Lewis Carroll" was used by the publisher to describe the book
    Notice the difference. Peterson, in his lobster example, aims to deride human existence, by pointing at evolutionary origin to current culture. Hofstadter points at ants representing neurons of our mind’s function. The distinction being that human are far more complex than lobsters, where even the neurons functioning can be projected as ants.

Oh and for Peterson followers, who get half way through the book, to think it’s similar to Peterson... but give up due to heavy math. That’s the point...........
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Godless heathens and Marxists, all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by LoopyLoop View Post
    Is this guy doing it just for publicity now? At first I thought he was someone who dares to speak about topics others won't because of political correctness. But lately I feel he is just trying to get popular and polarize.
    According to one of his (former) closest friends, it was basically always about publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Godless heathens and Marxists, all of you!
    That's low, I'm not a marxist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    He usually has interesting takes on psychology, that's his field afterall. When he starts talking about politics he's often pretty out there with the other rightwing nutbags.
    Honestly, I don't even think his views on psychology are overly provocative. Peterson's schtick is to decide on a conclusion that he really wants to realize, and then ramble on endlessly drawing loose strands with no solid founding to bolster said conclusion; in terms of presenting a coherent argument, he puts the cart way before the horse. One can look at the insane word salad that his Lion King / Jung lecture too see that he simply rambles on, and on, and on, and is full of conjecture presented as fact far beyond what one can reasonably draw from the situation.

I'd say that the core of his philosophy would be Jung. His views on politics, religion, culture, etc is very, very Jungian, and he seems to have incorporated this perspective into his own personal identity. But in that case.... Jung was a great writer. Why go through Peterson and his baggage when you have ready access to Jung's material?

Also, I just.. I can't support someone who thinks of Freud as a provocative and inspiring individual. Maybe it's different for men, but the way he treated women (essentially women as static and passive, and deviating from this is in itself a form of hysteria most often caused by penis envy) cannot be justified for me. He presented psychoanalysis as a way to rationalize and codify as science the anti-feminist movements rebuffing against gender equality movements of the time. I think that one can easily point to his works as the first in modern psychology to attempt to work by peeking under the hood and looking at root causes for behavior, but to say that Freud is an inspiring individual is quite simply a repugnant viewpoint for me. Not to mention his continued attempts to tie Freud and his pseudointellectual rationalization of sexism to god damn John Piaget, someone who actually blended observation and science with childhood development to attempt to provide an integrated understanding of how children grow, is insulting in and of itself.

Don't listen to Peterson on psychology. If you don't have a lot of background in psychology, he will lead you astray. If you do have a lot of background in psychology, he does nothing but skim the surface, so there's little value to be lost in ignoring him.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2018-06-13 at 08:16 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Jordan Peterson finally attended PragerU!

Dangerous people like Jordan Peterson himself. What a fucking hack.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Jordan Peterson finally attended PragerU!

I definitely agree with this man in this video. Thanks!

Oh thats fucking rich. This man is such a fucking con artist joke of a """"scientist"""". It's why he doesn't have a degree in real science, can't get much money from suckers with a real degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    The video is pretty much highlighting extreme left ideals.
    If you think concepts like equity and diversity are "extreme left ideals", that says way more about how extremist your views are than anything else. They're pretty darned moderate concepts.

10+ Year Old Account
    When 95% of US college education runs heavily on neo marxist propaganda hes right. The next generation will run the US into the middle ages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you think concepts like equity and diversity are "extreme left ideals", that says way more about how extremist your views are than anything else. They're pretty darned moderate concepts.
    Equity itself is a laudable goal, but my position is that one has to be really, really damn careful on how they come about to equity. Ultimately I believe in meritocracy, and any situation where the merits of the individual are placed beneath the collective good of all should be condemned, because when all is said and done a society that embraces individuality and values individual success and hard work is the best type of society. That aside, I really don't buy into the whole rabbit hole of maxism running rampant and brainwashing Canadian children to fall in line with the party. I believe that Peterson has a strong habit of pointing to the extremes and superimposing that onto the much more moderate norm.

Deleted
    Indeed they are. Communists attempted to subvert American society before and just like last time our response must be swift and merciless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The concepts are not extreme left ideals. They way the "extreme left" of today goes on about those ideals is pure sick stupidity and the entire left wave keeps falling deeper and deeper with it. Oh the right wing does that says that? Ok now we start bloody riots for alien pony bathroom stalls. That will surely win over the general crowd with this display of solid common sense and maturity.
    The extreme left is the biggest enemy to real progressiveness.
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2018-06-13 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    When 95% of US college education runs heavily on neo marxist propaganda hes right.
    Damn I need to get on this bash the left bandwagon. You people are too easy to con out of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    When 95% of US college education runs heavily on neo marxist propaganda hes right. The next generation will run the US into the middle ages.
    This is just conspiracy-crank nonsense. What next, the government's mind-control chemtrails? Molemen tunneling beneath our cities?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah all those science, mathematics and computer science courses are chock full of neo marxist propaganda. Medicine? Communism. Law? USSR.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Oh thats fucking rich. This man is such a fucking con artist joke of a """"scientist"""". It's why he doesn't have a degree in real science, can't get much money from suckers with a real degree.
    Science has been thrown right the fuck out the window anyways.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.