Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Keep better control of your pets. They shouldn't be out on the street to get hit by a car in the first place. It was your uncle's irresponsible ownership that got the dog killed. No one to blame but him.
    not helpful.

Dang all these people advocating committing a hit and run on a child because of the lack of supervision is fucked.

If you hit something you stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Townes View Post
    Dang all these people advocating committing a hit and run on a child because of the lack of supervision is fucked.

If you hit something you stop.
    Dog =/= Human

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    not helpful.
    I wasn't trying to help anyone, just speaking the truth. If you can't keep control of your pet, don't go blaming everyone else for your shortcomings when bad shit happens to it. You have no one to blame but yourself. Take fucking responsibility for your actions before you go telling people to burn in Hell like a spoiled, histrionic hypocrite.

Why was the dog unsupervised. How would driver know what house to go to. What if animal is nowhere near the correct house. What if the dog attacked driver after trying to help, now the dog owner has fines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Dog =/= Human
    So? You should stop regardless... God forbid you lose some time out of your day because of your careless driving.

Even hitting a dog can cause serious damage to your car which makes it unsafe to drive and can cause harm to you or other motorists. If we want to take the sociopath route.

If you hit anything you should stop your car, at the very least to assess the damage, and ideally remove the hazard from the road.

At the most you (should you hit a pet) let the owner know if possible.

Saying X was unsupervised is a shitty way of justifying being a shit person.
    Last edited by Townes; 2018-06-18 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Townes View Post
    So? You should stop regardless... God forbid you lose some time out of your day because of your careless driving.

Even hitting a dog can cause serious damage to your car which makes it unsafe to drive and can cause harm to you or other motorists. If we want to take the sociopath route.

If you hit anything you should stop your car, at the very least to assess the damage, and ideally remove the hazard from the road.

At the most you (should you hit a pet) let the owner know if possible.
    First, you're the one who tried to link hitting a dog to hitting a human child.

Second, if a dog runs out from behind a bush or median, it's not reckless driving if it gets hit. It's reckless of the owner of the dog to have it running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeth View Post
    Why was the dog unsupervised. How would driver know what house to go to. What if animal is nowhere near the correct house. What if the dog attacked driver after trying to help, now the dog owner has fines.
    In the majority of jurisdictions, the dog owner is responsible for any damage their "property" does unless the driver was demonstratively driving erratically. And the driver only has to contact the police or animal control to alert them of the accident, though that law is rarely ever enforced except the aforementioned case (ie, when piling fines on drunk drivers and the like).

But as said, even in those jurisdictions where you're supposed to call the police or animal control (and none of them require you to "look for the owner" like the OP was sobbing about in their ridiculously histrionic ranting), it's going to be the pet's owner that has to pay for -anything- that pet did while it was loose. Including but not limited to any damage to the vehicles, hospital bills for the driver and/or their passengers, collateral damage caused by trying to swerve out of the way to avoid hitting it, and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2018-06-18 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So what you’re saying is, you’re fine if someone kills a kid so long as they get that damn body out of the road. Cool
    Rofl no. If you hit anything you should feel fucking shitty about it.

Hence the whole "taking the sociopathic route".

- - - Updated - - -

First, you're the one who tried to link hitting a dog to hitting a human child.

Second, if a dog runs out from behind a bush or median, it's not reckless driving if it gets hit. It's reckless of the owner of the dog to have it running around.
    Because people were saying "if the animal was unsupervised" which goes for a lot of children. Supervision shouldn't be the determining factor in whether it's okay to hit something and run away.

Yeah it kinda is reckless. It doesn't make you a bad person and no one can pay 100% to the road but it is reckless to plow over an animal (human or not) and not stop.
    Last edited by Townes; 2018-06-18 at 03:19 PM.

This.

Also i had tried to find the owner, so he could pay the damage on my car his pet caused.
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    This.

Also i had tried to find the owner, so he could pay the damage on my car his pet caused.
    It's more reckless to let a bunch of apes drive around at speed in tonnes of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Um, if some animal runs out in front of my car and kills itself I'm not going to track down the owners to tell them their pet is dead. Lots of people own guns, I don't want to tell angry people with guns their animal killed itself on my car.
    It's quite side that this makes a lot of sense

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    ...people who hit animals with their car and don't even stop to try and let the owners know about it. My fiance's uncle's dog got out a couple hours ago without us knowing it. Some asshole hit him with their car and just took off. They left him in the middle of the road grasping for life. When we found him, he was still alive but didn't make it on the way to the vet. These people disgust me and I hope they rot in Hell.

- - - Updated - - -

And this happened 3 houses down from where we live too which is how we know the person didn't make any attempt to find the owners.
    That’s sad, I’m sorry for your loss. However, pets should not be running around outside. Would not have happened if he were on a leash being walked or in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Realistically, how do you expect people just instantly know who the owner is? Also running from something like this doesn't necessarily imply malice/ignorance/indifference but also could be from the feeling of guilt.
    If it were me I'd check the collar for a phone number. If the owners neglected to even do that, then yeah, they're SOL.

Deleted
    You sound like a pussy POS OP.
    Gratz.

Yeah, pointing out that people are irresponsible owners -- which they are in this case -- totally makes you, yourself, unfit for owning pets or raising kids (by the way, my daughter is 27, and my current dog is 15). You nailed it, buddy. You nailed it.

If you bothered to keep reading the conversation before ignorantly jumping in to blather your idiotic opinion on the subject, you'd known I'd addressed that. And yet -- remarkably -- the pet's owner is still at fault even in those same jurisdictions. The driver is expected to only contact the police or animal control and alter them of what happened, and even then it is rarely enforced due to just how obscure a law it is. The only time the driver is at fault is if they were driving erratically when it happened, and those are the times the law tends to get pursued.

But hey, thanks for playing.

What, that someone who hits your stray ass dog that you let get free due to your incompetence at handling the pet means the driver has to stop, get out, and go banging on every door in the neighborhood in a histrionic panic hoping to find the owner and beg their forgiveness under the eyes of God (hence "special place in Hell")? That idiotic complaint? No, I didn't miss it. I just gave it the reverence and respect it deserved -- that is to say none whatsofuckingever.
    You still sound like you haven’t read it. At least in the OP they weren’t trying to say anyone else was at fault and were not blaming the driver for hitting the dog. All you have to do is stop and check for an info tag. You don’t go running around the neighborhood. If the owner is found there may be time to save the animals life. It’s just the respectful thing to.

Accidents happen. Unforeseen circumstances happen. Trying to see if you can find the owner is the right thing to do. If hit and run weren’t illegal for people do you think it’d be alright for someone to hit someone else’s loose child and not try and find the parent? It’s jot about who is fault at this point, it’s just about doing the right thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    I'll accidentally run over your pet in future and just leave them there shall I? Fuck taking responsibility right?
    Good luck, considering I have never owned a pet in my life and don't plan to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t think anyone is expecting that, but you could do the humane thing and take the animal to a nearby Vet clinic, or call Police so they can do it. Leaving them on the road to suffer and die is beyond fucking cruel.
    Take time out of my day to deal with a possible stray? No thanks.

And yeah it might be cruel but life isn't cupcakes and sunshine, and likely 99% of people go about their way. Nobody likes hitting an animal, but expecting to screw up traffic over one is ludicrous.

Sorry not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Accidents happen.
    They sure do. And in the vast majority of such cases, someone was at fault. In the case of this one, it was the pet owner. No idea why you can't get that through your skull and accept it for what it is. Doesn't mean it wasn't tragic. But blaming the driving and telling them that they should burn in Hell for all eternity for not immediately stopping and carrying the dog around throughout the neighborhood, incoherently sobbing in sorrow like the original poster apparently demands, is just fucking retarded.

Even the god damned law doesn't expect that behavior.

This is a prime example of people not taking responsibility for their own actions, and instead trying to pass the blame on to the driver rather than the irresponsible pet owner. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2018-06-18 at 07:54 PM.

They sure do. And in the vast majority of such cases, someone was at fault. In the case of this one, it was the pet owner. No idea why you can't get that through your skull and accept it for what it is. Doesn't mean it wasn't tragic. But blaming the driving and telling them that they should burn in Hell for all eternity for not immediately stopping and carrying the dog around throughout the neighborhood, incoherently sobbing in sorrow like the original poster apparently demands, is just fucking retarded.

This is a prime example of people not taking responsibility for their own actions, and instead trying to pass the blame on to the driver rather than the irresponsible pet owner. Nothing more, nothing less.
    OOOOOOR, Now hear me out here....It's possible to blame both parties! GASP Because the world doesn't have to be black and white (omg, whaaaaat).

Obviously she's very upset and angry, and that is understandable... But the real suggestion here is not that it's the drivers fault for hitting the dog, or that it is not the owners fault that it got out, but that the animal's life could have been saved with some kind of responsible action. To say the driver did nothing wrong is objectively false; they just didn't do anything illegal (like it would have been if it was a child).

Actually the Law in many states, especially the OP's state expects you to make an attempt to seek help for an animal you have hit, even if it ran in front of your vehicle. If the animal is dead, you are not to move the animal. You are to attempt to find the owner and if you can't, you are to report it to the authorities. Failing to do see puts you at fault.

Now if you do report it, you can now go after the owner of the animal if there's damages to your vehicle, because you took the appropriate steps and are no longer the greater fault.