Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If I get asked "nicely" to disable my adblocker by a website it just makes me double-check my adblocker is still on.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I dunno what you want to hear.

Do I really need to 'provide proof' that we landed on the moon? No, not really.
    Do I really need to 'provide proof' that blocking ads isn't 'theft'? No, not really.
    Okay so you just wanted to write something

Noted

Yes I do.

But one annoying ad, one (1) and I'm putting it back on permanently without second chances.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2018-06-18 at 07:29 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the ads the site uses. For single loading banners I leave ad block off but if they use multiple video ads then ad block stays on.
    Last edited by shadowmatrix; 2018-06-18 at 07:23 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a couple of simple ads and the site is extremely useful to me, yeah i disable it. Hell, sometimes i even click on the ads.

The way I see it, if a website can't at least put in the effort to filter out the intrusive, scam, cancerous ads then they don't deserve to have any money from my "view/clicks". It's a pretty good indicator on how much they care about their audience.

Some places I've turned off my adblocker for, and some I have and instantly put it back on and don't care. It's a matter of a per-case basis. It's not like there aren't ways around it in either case anyway.
    Last edited by Shakugan123; 2018-06-18 at 07:25 PM.

Very rarely, sometimes I just use the ad-blocker to manually block the big ass screen covering prompts that stop you seeing the content.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Nope.

It's far too risky. It isn't just a matter of viruses, either - but annoying sounds from certain ads.

I remember going on a novel-reading website, and it popped up about please disabling adblock. I turned it off to be nice, and reloaded, only to be bombarded by banners on all 4 sites, and a site re-direct to some "old people looking to fuck" website, with a very disturbing picture i don't wanna go into detail describing. Needless to say, i turned on adblock again.

Deleted
    Never, i hate forced advertising. I mean, try visiting a wow news site and get some furniture advertising that`s filling your screen for 10-15 seconds...

10+ Year Old Account
    Na, fuck those sites.
    I second I would disalbe some shitty ad would be right up in my face and that is what I don't like.
    I go to a site to view a certain thing. Not ads about shit I don't care about.

no because most sites run adds with video and volume set to insane volume

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mocking Jay View Post
    People who use ad blockers should be charged and criminally prosecuted

You are STEALING revenue from them if you do because it is their business model.
    I always watch ads for full duration and click on banners because I don't engage in PIRACY and respect hard work of others.
    how am i stealing please let me know?
    it is their business model....so what?

intrusive adds sound/video/scams/malware/phishing/keyloggers/bad practices/ the list goes on
    why should i put up with any off that and any site what asks me to disable addblock i never visit again

7+ Year Old Account
    I guess in that guy's mind not looking at billboards on the streets is a crime as well...
    /facepalm

Hardly ever, usually the ones that ask you to turn it off are the ones who have auto play obnoxiously loud adds running. Even if you pause it it reloads a few minutes later.

I have no issue with side banners or one at the top of the page. I don't even have a issue if it has some animation, but sounds or pop ups are just a no no
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

When they offer to pay me for watching advertisements I'll consider disabling ad blocking. Otherwise hell no.

No. And if the site won't work without disabling adblock, I leave the site.

Deleted
    No - asking nicely is not going to help.

Showing non-tracking, self-hosted ads will though, as they are not blocked.

Very, very, very rarely. The only time I do is when they ask nicely, the ads aren't intrusive, and I know and trust the site administrator.

I feel most sites aren't trying to pull anything shady, but adnetworks are essentially congealed sociopathy and they'll happly run any code if paid enough. Or at the very least proper vetting and security costs money and they can't stand something eating into their profits.

7+ Year Old Account
    Haha....no.

Nope, wowheads ads ensure i will never turn my adblock off for any website.
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.