10+ Year Old Account

UPS for a 600w PSU?

I recently bought a UPS (650w) for my 600w PSU pc but when I put some games on high settings its starts beeping (the warning led beeps red) Is this because the ups isnt enough? do I have to buy a higher wat one like 750 or something? thanks for the help

Deleted
    Firstly, to find out what the light means - check the Manual? Thats what its for. (It very likely is an overload warning, but with the given information its impossible to be certain)

Secondly, the PSU rating does not specify how much power it requires from the socket. It specifies how much it can supply to the machine. Actual power requirement will be higher, based on efficiency. An 80% efficient 500W PSU for example will require 625W, when running at capacity.

To further complicate matters however, thats not necessarily what your power requirements are; the PSU will only draw the power your components require.

However you've not given any information which we'd need to figure out what your power requirements are. We'd need:

1) Installed hardware. Specifically CPU, GPU(s), PSU, and any overclocks.
    2) Other connected stuff to the UPS, such as Speakers and Monitor.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2018-06-19 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    I recently bought a UPS (650w) for my 600w PSU pc but when I put some games on high settings its starts beeping (the warning led beeps red) Is this because the ups isnt enough? do I have to buy a higher wat one like 750 or something? thanks for the help
    is it APC? You can connect it to your computer and install powerchut to see what your load is. I assume you only have your tower plugged in on the battery side? Also that the UPS is plugged directly into a wall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Firstly, to find out what the light means - check the Manual? Thats what its for. (It very likely is an overload warning, but with the given information its impossible to be certain)

Secondly, the PSU rating does not specify how much power it requires from the socket. It specifies how much it can supply to the machine. Actual power requirement will be higher, based on efficiency. An 80% efficient 500W PSU for example will require 625W, when running at capacity.

To further complicate matters however, thats not necessarily what your power requirements are; the PSU will only draw the power your components require.

However you've not given any information which we'd need to figure out what your power requirements are. We'd need:

1) Installed hardware. Specifically CPU, GPU(s), PSU, and any overclocks.
    2) Other connected stuff to the UPS, such as Speakers and Monitor.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, The manual was not that clear what it mean, it just said warning light but I found a table that vaguely explained it meant overcharge, so I did some testing and indeed once I put on demaning game like divinity original sin 2, the light lit and after 1 minute the UPS shut down, so Im buying a 850 wats one.