Thread: Nooby Tuesday

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    My first dungeon I got pissed when the tank taunted the mob I was dpsing off of me. I had never played an mmo before and had no idea there was a designated tank, I just thought he was being a dick.

Rolled need on all BoE and rolled on strength-gear as hunter(first char)

Could go as class fantasy though, so not that nooby.

Buying a full set of grey gear from vendors with the 100 gold my friend gave me when I started playing because I thought you needed to buy armour.

Back when I started, I didn't know talent points were a thing. Around mid 30s, my cousin asked to look at my character, and to his shock and amazement, was surprised I had never picked a spec to put points into. ...kinda wondered why I felt kinda like a wet noodle for awhile. Was a hunter though, so it wasn't toooo bad...but I still laugh about it.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Me and my brother was doing Ulduman and the ring from the last boss dropped and he rolled on it as a warlock, http://www.wowhead.com/item=11118/archaedic-stone I had no idea so I defended him when our tank yelled at him for needing on it oh and I was running around taunting stuff which ..infuriatied the healer xD, we both said sorry in the end.
    Last edited by Kharli; 2018-06-19 at 05:30 PM.

3 majors things for me when I was younger :

I used to believe that threat was actually making monsters less likely to attack me because I was scary so I played as a ret paladin using the threat generation buff.

I also remember taunting another paladin who was 40 because he was using cloth stuff thinking that he really should buy some white plate armor.

Wasted money on the katana / chinese level 20 white vendor sword because it looked cool.

using arrow keys to move. that's the most cringeworthy thing anyone can do, and i did it for years. didn't stop until really late wotlk.

My worst offense as a noob was back in vanilla. Played a rogue an around level 30 got the dagger the Ziggler. Didn't really know about stats and used it until almost bc came out.
    Only other I can think of is again stats related. A trinket from a brd run dropped that face Dodge. I needed it and stole from the tank because "rogue are supposed to be agile and Dodge attacks".

Deleted
    Earliest that I can remember was one of my very first characters, a Night Elf druid. I had just got the quest to teleport to Moonglade and learn the bear form, but since I didn't understand English all that well yet I didn't get anything from the quest texts, simply guessed my way through. As I explored Moonglade trying to figure out exactly where I needed to go, I came across a cave entrance shaped like a giant bear head, naturally I thought that must be where I needed to go. Unfortunately that's the furbolg tunnel which leads to Felwood/Winterspring and I was instantly killed. Releasing my body I was sent to the nearest graveyard, in Felwood, which meant that I didn't have a clue of where I was or how to get back to my corpse. I ended up deleting that character...

Another thing that comes to mind was when a friend of mine told me that they had just released this new Troll boss in Stranglethorn Vale, eager and curious to check it out we both went there on our level 15 something by taking the ship to Booty Bay. Exploring the jungle we found ourselves repeatedly killed by the local wild-life, seeing no sign of this new boss. It was not until much later that I realized he was speaking of the opening of Zul'gurub.

Come to think of it, I spent most of my time exploring/dying back then...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this brings me another memories of vanilla - i rememebr haveing really squishy tanks in low level dungeons to the point that we had to use like warlock pet or hunter pet to taunt of stuff to keep him alive :P (i belive it was in shadwfang keep on the wolf spirit boss )
    Nando's was a god damn nightmare and reduced dungeon groups to infighting and hurtful remarks.....nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yeah but you probably knew your class. I had just started playing. I had just hit, I think maybe 20 at the most. I had next to no gear. By "boomkin" I mean I took only Balance talents, so I had no real healing capability (and like two resto talents for an improved Mark of the Wild). I had trouble even staying alive long enough to do my own quests, never mind helping 4 other people!
    no that was my first ever shaman like level 61, i had never hit 80 on any class, my previous experience was a 70 hunter, so i was experienced with WoW to a point but that's literally all my enhance experience i had never even specced resto before.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this thread appears so often but hey lets do it again to pass 5 minutes in work
    sorry. thanks for participating.

When I first leveled my dwarf paladin, I would save every copper and silver and run off to the smith to buy all the fancy new white gear. I assumed like other RPGs I had played, that many of the good starting/leveling items would come from vendors, and only in the later parts of the game would I start forging my own and killing enemies with good loot.

In order to help save gold, I would often only train 2 or 3 abilities, the damaging ones, and ignore all my other spells. Who needed heals or resurrections.

I did a dungeon once as a ret paladin. We had a druid as a healer, back before they could rez without a CD. We had 2 people die in the pull, leaving myself, another dps, and the healer. They asked me to rez, I distinctly remember seeing that ability, and deciding to save the money. Boy were they angry. I did concede and train that ability later.

I forget if this actually helped, but I noticed that you could change weapons in combat. So I thought I could put the items on my bar, watch the enemies animation, and try to switch to sword & shield to take the hit, then back to two handed.

Auto attack was on my action bar for much longer than I care to admit.

I could technically use it, and I rolled need on wall of the dead during a dungeon clear of Sunken Temple. The warrior tank lead kicked me from the group.

I had a hunter friend, and I knew from my own experience they could use polearms. I found the most expensive polearm in the auction, and grinded for days to send it to them. It was a downgrade. A big one.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

The 1st mmo i played was in 1991. Back then they were all text. I would build my character trying to raise my armor stat as much as i could but id run into a wall where i could not find any more and mobs would do so much damage they’d kill me easily. I remember looking at someone elses inventory in the pawn broker shop and everything he wore was +damage and at first i thought he was dumb because his armor rating was terrible. Then i saw him destroy some mobs in 2 hits and the light bulb went off. If you kill them fast you dont need armor!!!
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Followed a Felguard around asking were he got his armor, it was a Warlocks pet.

I didn't start using keybinds until Legion. Nothing but the defaults.

Lotta clicking. It was to the point my left wrist couldn't handle doing all the work when I was so used to part hitting 1-6 for main rotation and the rest clicking literally every other action bar button with my right hand.

In the Human starter zone I saw a bunch of Defias mobs and figured it was a 'clan' because they were all wearing the same thing. I walked over to talk to them and I agro'd all of them and they killed me. When I rezzed I just ran around in /y swearing at them.

beat that.

I'll add a bit more:
    1)Used to die a lot while I leveled my lock in vanilla,so this one time and since the leveling took ages and I wanted to explore the world,I decided to explore it while I was in the ghost form.Got to the Wetlands from Loch Modan and got bored of it.
    2)Like one other guy posted,I also was a true believer,that hunter can be MELEE.Leveling to my lvl 60 took ages and I didn't use any add ons,so what did I do?I grinded all the way from lvel 55-60 in the Winterspring by grinding poor frostsabers and attacking the exclusively melee (raptor strike,mongoose bite and ofc I thought,that Wing Clip is a good damage dealing ability aswell).
    3)I used to grind the mobs in Tyr's hand and once I grouped with a rogue.The crusader recipe dropped and he/she asked me nicely to give it to him.So I did.Only later,when I told my friend about it,I found how much it was worth.

My first MMO was Asheron's Call in which I frequently got lost. Near as I could tell, it was a persistent world where you could start running in one direction and keep going indefinitely. When I started WoW I was paranoid about that happening, so on my NE I made sure Aldrassil was always within sight and was leery of venturing off too far. Eventually I discovered the map and that my AC experiences weren't even possible in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I didn't start using keybinds until Legion. Nothing but the defaults.

Lotta clicking. It was to the point my left wrist couldn't handle doing all the work when I was so used to part hitting 1-6 for main rotation and the rest clicking literally every other action bar button with my right hand.
    I still do that. :P Except for feral druid, 1-5 is enough for most of my other alts, sometimes even less since the pruning. I have started binding spell interrupts to the mouse though. The weird thing is this is solely a WoW issue. When I play other MMOs with different keybinds I get accustomed to using the left half of the keyboard more with my abilities. I'd say I don't know why I'm locked into 1-5 with WoW, but (pruning aside) most content I do doesn't require anything more so I've never bothered to train myself out of it.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by God King Rastakhan View Post
    I'd only played vanilla for six months and gotten to level 30something when TBC came out. I rerolled from my human mage to a draenei hunter, but fell in love with the dragonhawks in Eversong woods when I checked the place out with a friend. So, once I reached level 10 on my draenei I journeyed all the way from Ironforge, on foot, up to the plaguelands.
    Bear in mind that this was the first time I'd ever gone further north than the Wetlands, so I got ridiculously lost as soon as I reached Arathi Highlands. I spent hours trekking through Hillsbrad, Silverpine and once I reached the Undercity (my first time there), I got ganked, hard. ran back down to Hillsbrad, found my way into the Hinterlands, somehow managed to find the path leading to the Western Plaguelands, suffered my way through an insane amount of level 50-60 scourge mobs that aggro'd me (a level 10) from miles away, and I finally ended up... At Stratholme. I tried to enter the portal, but I couldn't since I was such a low level. I checked my map, and as far as I could tell this OUGHT to be the entrance to the Ghostlands, since I'd followed the road north as much as I could. I didn't understand why I couldn't get inside, got mad and promptly hearthstoned back home. I'd spent 6 hours or so I believe making this journey, only for it to end in failure.
    A year or so later I discovered the REAL entrance to the Ghostlands, and raged hard. But I finally got my dragonhawk. I had him for a week or so before I got bored of him, went back to Eversong and got a lynx instead. I just want to add though, I was THE SHIT whenever I ran into another player and they'd whisper me "where did you get that awesome pet?!" Felt good.

On that same draenei hunter, one time when I was in Stormwind, I saw a female draenei paladin riding around on her paladin mount, which back in the day was the same horse that the human paladins uses. I thought the female draenei model looked AMAZING on a horse mount, so after that I made sure to only do quests that gave me reputation with Stormwind. Once I reached level 40 I was actually already exalted with the humans, which kinda was a feat in and of itself back in the day.
    There's a youtube video between two Swedish alliance guilds duking it out in the Gurubashi arena to decide which guild was the "top swedes guild" on the realm (Ragnaros EU), and I was part of it. After my guild won, we completely absorbed the other guild and ran all the way to Orgrimmar. Since most of us were below level 60 we couldn't even get through the gates, but it was one of my most cherished wow memories, and in said youtube video you can see me playing my draenei hunter, proudly riding on my horse!

On my previous main, and the first character I ever made, a human mage, my friend told me that mages should focus on getting as much intellect and spirit as possible. For some reason I thought both stats were of equal importance, and that I could "choose" which stat I wanted to primarily focus on, so I made sure to get as much spirit as humanly possible on my alt. I spent my first ever hard earned 24 gold on getting as much spirit armor on my level 20-ish mage as I could. My dps was absolute shit, but I never ran out of mana!
    As I said before I abandoned my mage once TBC came out for my draenei hunter, and poor Ragnsak never got past level 32. He's still sitting in Duskwood to this day, waiting to continue his journey...
    sorry but calling bs - nobody had >20gold on first ever level 20 toon . unless you played on pirate servers.