Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Icy veins is good for new players. simple & gives you the general idea of how a class should work. If you want to master your class then you have to simulate your class yourself.
    Quoted for truth.

Icy Veins is literally there for someone whose never played the spec, it will give you a guideline on what talents to choose and what stat priority to build for, will give you generalized reasons why each choice is good or bad. And lets you do with it what you will.

After that though, its up to YOU and ONLY YOU to do your research and find out what is better than Icy Veins' guide. Using discords and asking around is generally better to find better builds, and simcrafting is 100% the way to do to get more optimal gear choices.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

icyvein is a basic understanding of class, dont count on them to have opti class/spec because strat on this site is so-so

if you want want good thing to maximize your character, try thing like raidbot, they make my frost dk noob into a war machine when i was raiding a few months ago, going from middle dps to top 3 dps
    Last edited by kaintk; 2018-06-19 at 08:56 PM.

I find icyveins really useful. TBH never take a guide as gospel. Use it to inform your own decision making that matches your own playstyle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    icyveins is wrong like 60% of the time in my experience.
    This, their recommendation of Versatility for Arcane is completely off, that's almost Noxxic level of bad.

They're just guides to help people in the right direction. Take from them what you want.

Their frost mage guide helped me out a lot recently since I hadn't played mage since cataclysm.

I have no idea why they allow 1 single person to write guides for 10 classes, a lot of their info is plain wrong and outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Icy-Veins is best for the new players.

Mastering class:
    -discord,
    -sims,
    -logs,

Examples of those 60%?
    I wouldn't say they were wrong 60% of the time. But a written guide doesn't do Justice with how legion worked out. Between tier gear, talents, and Legos there's no way to write a guide to cover all of those combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    Except the people that write the guides for icyveins are top tier players with strong logs to support their claims for that specific spec 60%+ of the time.

Yes some of the authors are not very skilled but it's your job as a player to research the background and credibility of the author before taking advice from them.
    I know that the DK guides (at least blood) had a long history of being fucking awful,haven't checked in a while though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I wouldn't say they were wrong 60% of the time. But a written guide doesn't do Justice with how legion worked out. Between tier gear, talents, and Legos there's no way to write a guide to cover all of those combinations.
    Like I said above. Icy veins is like wikipedia. You'd never use JUST wikipedia as a source for a research project but a lot of times it's a decent starting place. And sometimes it's just wrong on a topic so you need to engage your brain a bit.

Icy-veins is the same - use it as a decent starting point, it's usually right on the basics but to optimize you'll need to dig in to find out details elsewhere (here, class discords, etc) and you need to know enough about your class and spec to spot obviously wrong info.
    Last edited by clevin; 2018-06-20 at 12:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    Noxxic is fine.
    I just went to check Noxxic Fury Guide to see if they are really that incorrect. My god that stuff is absolutely awful. If you play exactly like the guide is saying your rotation is so extremely wrong. Not only that, it also unneccesarily overcomplicates the rotation. Its unbelieveable that a site like this allows to exist. Icy-Veins (at least for Fury) is solid.

Its quite funny that Noxxic says the follows "DPS Priority: Execute this priority for optimal DPS." ha good one

It depends on who writes the guides.

If you're a hunter, you're in good hands, Azortharion is an incredible theorycrafter and his guides are well-written, in-depth, and constantly updated.

Others, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreo View Post
    General WoW population can benefit from reading them. A lot of time people running with gear/talents/rotations which is so far from ok'ish it makes you eyes bleed.
    Personally I used it to learn about the class before doing mage tower on alts, since I've boosted most of them to 110 and only had general clue how to play them.
    from my experience - icyveins if perfeckly ok site for anyone doin anything below mythic raiding and higher keys then +15.

i understand that its not perfect but seeing how most of people never even once change their talents or never gem/enchant anyone who uses it to improve themselves is already way above general population of wow

10+ Year Old Account
    The last couple of years I've been playing WoW on a dropin/dropout basis without raiding. Whenever I get back into the game or when I'm trying a new spec/class, I'll have their spec/rotation guide on a second screen to get the feels.

Used to sim stuff, read ElitistJerks discussions (waaaaaaaaaaaay back), had a sub on MrRobot and what not. All that while not even being in a progression guild.
    For the casual I have become, I think Icy-Veins does a fine job in providing a handle to get into a class/spec.

Side note, their revamp made me visit them more often than I used to. Their old design was very offsetting.

Joke is, a lot of the discord theorycrafters just have mirrors of their guides on wowheads and IV

Quote Originally Posted by MithosX View Post
    I just went to check Noxxic Fury Guide to see if they are really that incorrect. My god that stuff is absolutely awful. If you play exactly like the guide is saying your rotation is so extremely wrong. Not only that, it also unneccesarily overcomplicates the rotation. Its unbelieveable that a site like this allows to exist. Icy-Veins (at least for Fury) is solid.

Its quite funny that Noxxic says the follows "DPS Priority: Execute this priority for optimal DPS." ha good one
    I really enjoy their dps ranking break down. Demo being the best dps at both item levels they look at and in single target and add fights. Not only always first but first by a mile. Makes you wonder why nobody plays.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I don’t know what it takes to make it as a guide author on Icy Veins but i wrote and managed one here on mmo-c a while back and at that time Noxxic was a better source then Icy Veins since it didn’t state so much BS however it later turned into a watered down verison off what I wrote
    Last edited by mmoc3782ac376e; 2018-06-20 at 11:29 PM.