Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    As great a president as he was, his biggest downfall was trying to compromise and work with Republicans. It didn't work, it didn't save his party from losing control of Congress, and it didn't cause the next Republican president to offer Democrats the same courtesy.
    I'm assuming you're referring to his first term, and more specifically the ACA?

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Outside this forum echo-chamber, roughly half of voters voted for Trump. To disregard everything they believe and label it as wrong and racist and such, with no regard for any form of understanding, is not how you end the polarized partisan nature of US politics.
    You are on the wrong forum. You are correct that this is an echo chamber, and anything remotely outside what they throw in to their circle jerk will not be tolerated or even given a chance. You will always be wrong because you do not support them. No one on here has an open mind, you can not show them anything different because they will look past it and ignore it. This is like a written version of the tv show The View, with most of them playing the Joy Behar character. Your best bet is to troll people and make them more mad.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    You are on the wrong forum. You are correct that this is an echo chamber, and anything remotely outside what they throw in to their circle jerk will not be tolerated or even given a chance. You will always be wrong because you do not support them. No one on here has an open mind, you can not show them anything different because they will look past it and ignore it. This is like a written version of the tv show The View, with most of them playing the Joy Behar character. Your best bet is to troll people and make them more mad.
    Actually, I have been on this forum for a while and while it does lean left on many issues, it does listen to and tolerate outside opinions rather well. The problem is when the posters refuse to accept criticism against their views and refuse to listen to facts that they start claiming they are hostile.

Overall, the right leaning posters just seem to be more confrontational and resorting to personal attacks more often resulting in bans and more likely to ignore facts and rely on opinions and emotions, they are quite literally the snowflakes they claim liberals to be.

Not saying that all conservatives are like that, but many are and can not rationally defend their view and instead tried to defend it emotionally.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Also it's not our fault the conservatives on this forum can't control themselves and keep getting themselves banned for breaking the rules. Also they lie a lot. A lot. And refuse to admit their lies even when shown the evidence. Just like Trump!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    In New Jersey?

His biggest mistake was supporting and endorsing Hillary and commenting Trump would not get elected.
    Have a source that Obama said Trump wouldn't be elected? Oh who am I kidding, when was the last time you had a source?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Besides the ACA and dropping hundreds of bombs what did he do that was "great" in your opinion.
    Years of economic improvement, not vacationing every weekend, staying off of twitter, not being a racist, not being incredibly corrupt, not working with foreign governments to get elected, and not being a terrible person in general.

- - - Updated - - -

No one on here has an open mind,
    So glad you admitted you don't have an open mind.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

When we are at a point where the two parties cannot compromise on anything we have failed completely as any form of democracy and might as well burn the whole thing down.

It was never supposed to be a damned competition, it was supposed to ensure people were adequately represented. Between the fighting and the nonstop bribery I'm not sure what's there to salvage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    As great a president as he was, his biggest downfall was trying to compromise and work with Republicans. It didn't work, it didn't save his party from losing control of Congress, and it didn't cause the next Republican president to offer Democrats the same courtesy.

I hope the next time Democrats control both Congress and the presidency the Democrats learn from this and shun the Republicans from everything, and ram through everything they can without even the slightest bit of compromise. Because they know next time Republicans have control after that they're just going to do the same again.

Just like how you don't negotiate with terrorists, you also don't try to negotiate with right wing lunatics.
    It's wrong to think that Republicans are right wing lunatics and it's not smart to make enemies of roughly half the population. Obama's presidency felt mostly like a cleanup job. In that respect alone, results show he didn't do a bad job. RvD is holding this country back and so long as people judge based on w/e color or letter that politician has, we go nowhere.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

This is guaranteed to happen. On top of that, Trump is being an idiot and calling for the removal of the Filibuster Rule again, and trying to expand his own powers, because he's too stupid to realize that those changes apply to the positions, not the people, and any changes he makes to consolidate Republican power would also apply to Democrats.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you had an ounce of self-reflection in you, you'd be able to realize your ability to post exactly that is proof positive that what you just said is completely wrong, on the facts.

Not sure why you'd want to prove your own claim wrong in the same breath as you make it, but there you have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh, there was definitely a reason. It was because he was black.
    and that he was a democrat.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    When we are at a point where the two parties cannot compromise on anything we have failed completely as any form of democracy and might as well burn the whole thing down.

It was never supposed to be a damned competition, it was supposed to ensure people were adequately represented. Between the fighting and the nonstop bribery I'm not sure what's there to salvage.
    The issue is that this is a complaint you can pretty much lay solely at the feet of the Republicans. The Overton Window in the USA has shifted so far to the right over the years precisely because the Democrats have been willing to compromise. Even in Obama's Presidency, they were reaching across that aisle and trying to work with their opposition.

And the Republicans took the stance that anything but complete and utter submission to their principles was untenable, and refused to consider compromise at all.

So sure; confronted with that kind of obstructionism, the only responsible move is to stop trying to compromise. Push things so far in the other direction you make them panic and come to the table to start making deals. That's the only option they've left you. Is it an objectively shitty option? Sure. But you play the hand you're dealt, rather than whining that it's not the hand you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was a mistake to try.

The real world thrives on compromise between realistic ideals. Not, for example, meeting a Nazi halfway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it was a mistake to try.
    To better phrase what I was trying to say in light of that, my point at least is that the Democrats should be open to compromise, but they shouldn't bother seeking compromise. Do your thing. Pull everything as close to your ideals as you can, if you win both houses again. Ram it all through. Wait for the Republicans to approach you.

I would argue that Obama's Presidency demonstrates the negative outcomes that derive from trying to seek compromise with a recalcitrant opposition who won't participate in good faith. The ACA, for instance, could have been a concrete single-payer system. They tried to base it off Romney's healthcare plan to make it have cross-party appeal, and it didn't get them any benefit or advantage whatsoever.

Maybe it's how I'm getting older, but increasingly, politics looks like a game. It isn't a zero-sum game; everyone can win, if they work together. But if someone's going to keep stabbing other players in the back, play to win, and make them lose. If you didn't pick this fight, you should still do your damnedest to win it, as long as your opponent(s) keep swinging.

Pretty much. Its all about power, Republicans understand this and play accordingly, democrats need to step up their game if they want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Energy Mitten View Post
    Pretty much. Its all about power, Republicans understand this and play accordingly, democrats need to step up their game if they want to win.
    Or the Democrats have the foresight to understand that expansion of power applies to positions, not party or people, and any expansion of powers can backfire horribly if their party ever loses power. I'm sure Republicans anticipated holding power indefinitely due to a combination of electoral college on a national level and gerrymandering at the state and local levels giving them something like 5x the voting capital of Democrats, but they fucked up and took it too far and now the courts are pushing back.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's never a mistake to act like an adult and seek compromise.
    *spit* we don't tolerate your kind round these parts....best keep on walking missy.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    *spit* we don't tolerate your kind round these parts....best keep on walking missy.
    ..except for compromise with blood elves, obviously that is a waste of time and we should just keep them penned up in concentration camps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    ..except for compromise with blood elves, obviously that is a waste of time and we should just keep them penned up in concentration camps.
    your thinking of draenei. they belong in goat pens where they should be sent on trains to go to special processing camps. good old veal DELICIOUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Oh, there was definitely a reason. It was because he was black.
    Absolutely right.

Look at Tea party rallies back then, look at the makeup of the GOP in Congress.

Then look at Obama.

Notice the difference.

And watch the racist f's try to backpedal.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson