Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Choosing the gender of your doctor in healthcare in some situations

Do you think it's justified to not want a man or a woman to be the one you visit for some procedures due to you being uncomfortable? Like procedures where you have to take your clothes off or a gyn visit or such?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people need to grow some thicker skin and be thankful they even get to have a doctor or a health service
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    I think with the enormous waiting lists and shortage of qualified doctors in certain countries/regions, people shouldn't be too picky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese and onion View Post
    Do you think it's justified to not want a man or a woman to be the one you visit for some procedures due to you being uncomfortable? Like procedures where you have to take your clothes off or a gyn visit or such?
    You are, to my knowledge, permitted to do demand a doctor of the gender you wish - though doing so, you have to remember that it might increase your wait time. Nowadays, people are a bit more understanding of the trade and that you can't always get your expectations. You can request, of course. Except for the emergency room, you'll get what you get.

Though to my own opinion, I find it a little dumb to pick a doctor based on gender or race - yes, some do that too. They are all meant to be educated and professional about their patients after all.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter. I've had both male and female doctors, if they are competent, that's all that matters. I've only had one bad doctor and that doctor was a woman. But she wound up losing her license because a lot of her patients wound up filing complaints about her.

Yes, If I am visiting due to problems with my private parts then I want it to be a man if available, women are unnecessarily rough when they perform exams. Other than that? I'm not so sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what there gender is. If i'm going to see a doctor all i care about is that they can make me better.

my wife doesnt trust female doctors. usually tells me that males do a better job in gyno and surgery. i dont really care about it tho.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do boxing at my local gym. Whenever session is over most of the younger guys (class is aged around 16 to 40) put on some trainers and head home. A few older ones that stay shower in their underwear and the older guys full nude.

In this day and age of increasing prudishness I can see where you're coming from with your question.
    My thought is, both female and male doctors are qualified to do the same thing. They didn't pick a gender oriented part of medical school (specializations excluded, but we're talking about a general practitioner here I assume). Their training was "this human has this condition, and so and so is the procedure".

Few years back I went to see my doctor because I had a haemorrhoid. My own doctor (who happened to be a male) was out on holiday. So I got his replacement, 26 year old female doctor instead. Did that stop me from dropping my pants and have her get into sniffing distance of my butt-hole? Nope, cause I had pains from the damn thing and the person I was visiting was qualified to get rid of it. Hell, I even cracked a few jokes like it was my first time and if she could be gentle, which she sharply replied with 'I'm a woman with experience, I'm fresh out of school and all you do in the first years is look at haemorrhoids'. She helped me out, and I was relieved from my pains.

That said, you should have a choice in doctor for sure. But not based on gender. If male doctor X doesn't feel right to me, then replace it with male or female doctor Y. Don't give a crap about the doctor's gender, I'm visiting a professional trained in helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    my wife doesnt trust female doctors. usually tells me that males do a better job in gyno and surgery. i dont really care about it tho.
    your wife is stupid
    change can't wait.

A comedian (I forget who) did a bit that I watched one time, where she explained why she prefers male gynos: she said the men are more careful, where as female gynos are reaching all up in there and stretching and scraping stuff because “they have to go through it too”.

It was a pretty funny bit.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    I can agree on that on doctors in gyno. I work in the public health care system in Germany and deal regularly with complains of patients. It often shows that female doctors in gyno tend to be a bit less sensitive towards the individual Problems of their patients. It is as if they say "Hey, I am a woman too, I know how it is to have this or that problem and my patient must be exaggerating."
    My wife had two miscarriages in short distance. The second one was a tublar pregnancy which required immediate surgery. Nine days after the surgery her female doctor deems her fit for work again. Yeah, okay, maybe physical everything is in order now, but there was not the least bit of consideration what those two miscarriages and the significance for further pregnancies do to someone mentally.
    Even as the partner, hoping for a child and loosing it, it was soulcrushing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think with the enormous waiting lists and shortage of qualified doctors in certain countries/regions, people shouldn't be too picky.
    I almost agree, bar for religious reasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I almost agree, bar for religious reasons.
    Elaborate, please.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    your wife is stupid
    Or maybe she's really smart...

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Elaborate, please.
    I don't believe in abortion for religious reasons and I also don't support FGM. I want a doctor who shares my values and respects my faith. Plenty of religious women are prohibited from being alone and/or examined by a male doctor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    your wife is stupid
    This made me chuckle. I couldn't agree more.

Deleted
    I don't believe in abortion for religious reasons and I also don't support FGM. I want a doctor who shares my values and respects my faith.
    I don't understand. Are you supposed to get an anti-abortion doctor whenever you have, say, a broken leg?.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I don't understand. Are you supposed to get an anti-abortion doctor whenever you have, say, a broken leg?.
    It sounds funny when you put it like that.

Deleted
    It sounds funny when you put it like that.
    I suppose it does.
    Well, are you supposed to get one?.

if it helps you build trust with your doc do it...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22