Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

California net neutrality bill gutted as lawmakers cave to AT&T lobbyists

A California net neutrality bill that could have been the strictest such law in the country was dramatically scaled back yesterday after state lawmakers caved to demands from AT&T and cable lobbyists.

While the California Senate approved the bill with all of its core parts intact last month, a State Assembly committee's Democratic leadership yesterday removed key provisions.

"What happened today was outrageous," Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco), the bill author, said. "These hostile amendments eviscerate the bill and leave us with a net neutrality bill in name only."
    Arstechnica

The committee chair, Miguel Santiago, sold out for less than $20000 along with several other democrats flipping.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2018-06-22 at 12:45 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

What a fucking cunt. Hope he gets voted out of office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like typical american politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Sounds like typical american politics.
    Which is why we are going to need an alternative to even the deep web, one that cannot be controlled.

We have seen, and continue to see, that our government cannot function when bribes like this are perfectly legal and common. How do we take steps to stop this without having to literally burn down the white house and start a new government?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    We have seen, and continue to see, that our government cannot function when bribes like this are perfectly legal and common. How do we take steps to stop this without having to literally burn down the white house and start a new government?
    *hides the gas canister*

Uh....

Not sure. I don't think there is a reasonable alternative other than complete constitutional reform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Campaign Finance Reform...

10+ Year Old Account
    Disappointing, but not unexpected.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Campaign Finance Reform...
    Citizens United kills that notion before it gets out of the gate. You'd have to amend the constitution, and fuck with the first amendment to fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Citizens United kills that notion before it gets out of the gate. You'd have to amend the constitution, and fuck with the first amendment to fix it.
    We could always try the pro-life tack and just keep passing state level legislation contravening it until we wear down the Supreme Court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Arstechnica

The committee chair, Miguel Santiago, sold out for less than $20000 along with several other democrats flipping.
    Where are you seeing the amounts that were paid? I skimmed the article but didn't see that info. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    *hides the gas canister*

Uh....

Not sure. I don't think there is a reasonable alternative other than complete constitutional reform.
    If I remember right it started when companies were able to be treated as people. Under the legalese logic of "a company is a group of people. People can make donations to government election campaigns. So companies should be able to also."

Hard to argue against unless we go straight for the root and just outright ban all campaign donations in all circumstances. It's the internet age, damn it, it's not expensive to get the word out.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If I remember right it started when companies were able to be treated as people. Under the legalese logic of "a company is a group of people. People can make donations to government campaigns. So companies should be able to also."

Hard to argue against unless we go straight for the root and just outright ban all campaign donations in all circumstances. It's the internet age, damn it, it's not expensive to get the word out.
    I'm with you, but because of Citizens United, we have to tact from the other side. Just cap the amount of money that can be spent on campaigns. Not how much that be donated, because that's "free speech", but spent.

That might do the trick.

Where are you seeing the amounts that were paid? I skimmed the article but didn't see that info. Just curious.
    Campaign finance disclosures show that Santiago has received $22,600 in contributions from AT&T since 2014, and $4,500 from Comcast.

And of course the people who claim they care about Americans don't even care about Consumers.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, you'll have to flip a few SCOTUS seats. See you guys in like 20 years I guess.

Thanks Ralph Nader! Thanks Bernie!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Campaign finance disclosures show that Santiago has received $22,600 in contributions from AT&T since 2014, and $4,500 from Comcast.
    Ah, gotcha. Thank you. And yeah, damn - such a small amount to buy such a large profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Right, you'll have to flip a few SCOTUS seats. See you guys in like 20 years I guess.

Thanks Ralph Nader! Thanks Bernie!
    That's about all that will do it on the contribution side. Spending side could be altered and I think it would be different law - i.e. not free speech per se.

I'm with you, but because of Citizens United, we have to tact from the other side. Just cap the amount of money that can be spent on campaigns. Not how much that be donated, because that's "free speech", but spent.

That might do the trick.
    Wouldn't that mean they could then keep the "free speech" money to spend on blow and hookers if they so desired? I don't see how that resolves the issue of bribery at all. Though I'm only just now googling Citizens United to see what exactly the current rules on this are following that court case.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't that mean they could then keep the "free speech" money to spend on blow and hookers if they so desired? I don't see how that resolves the issue of bribery at all. Though I'm only just now googling Citizens United to see what exactly the current rules on this are following that court case.
    Campaign funds' use do have strict rules, but enforcing them is another matter. In theory our laws prevent that money from being used as you describe; but in reality, it's pretty wide open.

Spending caps are how Canada does it, so donations are irrelevant. I'm not sure spending caps would avoid the free speech argument though.

That might do the trick.
    Public funding of elections. Can't even self fund and all PAC and other such activity are banned.

The only ones exempt from self funding/donations rules are the ones who polled too low to qualify for the public funding and even they are capped at the same amount the publicly funded candidates were given.

Problem solved. Also make it where they can not profit from this funding in any way. Any items bought with the money is turned over, any left over money is turned over. So if they try to buy a car, they lose the car, if they try to do improvements to their home, they have to turn over the home or pay back the amount they spent on it and so on.

Honestly, if corporations are people, I really want to see someone getting sued by a company asserting his right to face his accuser and arguing in court that just seeing representatives of the company doesn't count.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post

Thanks Ralph Nader! Thanks Clinton!
    Fix that for you.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.