Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

New pre-built Desktop

Hey guys,

Recently I started looking into upgrading my old gaming Laptop (ASUS RoG G750JX) which I purchased at the start of 2014.

It has done quite the good job handling my favorite games like Dota2, Diablo III, Fallout 4 and the likes.

With new games on the horizon that peeked my interest like Monster Hunter World, Fallout 76 and possible future Elder Scrolls and Diablo titles I feel the need to upgrade my setup.

Ideally I would want to make the switch from gaming laptop, which I initially bought due to moving around a lot, to a desktop PC.

However I would prefer to purchase a pre-built Desktop since I do not trust my fine motors skills enough to build my own rig, even if that means that I may have to pay a little more. Also I am a complete novice in all things computer.

Thats where (hopefully) you guys come into play.

Ideally I would love to spend no more than maybe around 2000 Euros for Desktop + new Monitor.

Inside this price range I would love to get the best possible settings in terms of graphics and performance with the future option of upgrading single parts as they come up.

Thank you for your help.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a prebuilt, why would you want an option to upgrade single parts? Either buy and forget or build your own.
    PM me weird stuff :3

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you could upgrade pre-built Desktops aswell?

I’d just prefer a “professional” to start up my first proper Desktop so I will only have to do small things (like upgrades) myself in the future.

Would help if you told us where you live as shipping full computers is pretty costly, some prebuilts are easy enough to upgrade while others far from it, depending on how custom they made the thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just go to some reputable computer store chain in your country and order it there.

You can tell them what you want and what is your budget and they will give you the options, then post it here and we will optimize. IMO it will be the best because unless they are completely incompetent they will offer you in a ballpark of what you need and we will just switch some stuff for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochinko View Post
    I thought you could upgrade pre-built Desktops aswell?

I’d just prefer a “professional” to start up my first proper Desktop so I will only have to do small things (like upgrades) myself in the future.
    There is nothing complicated, there could be unforeseeable issues like compatibility, like others said, where are you from? When I was younger, I would just go to PC store and give them a list of parts I wanted (the brand of CPU, GPU, HDD, etc.) and they would assemble and test to make sure everything works.

Saying that, such a service in US costs around 200USD, while prebuilts are cheaper since they buy parts in bulk for cheap. The downside to prebuilt is that the parts used are usually cheapest ones available, for example a no-name 600W PSU vs a well known 600W

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    There is nothing complicated, there could be unforeseeable issues like compatibility, like others said, where are you from? When I was younger, I would just go to PC store and give them a list of parts I wanted (the brand of CPU, GPU, HDD, etc.) and they would assemble and test to make sure everything works.

Saying that, such a service in US costs around 200USD, while prebuilts are cheaper since they buy parts in bulk for cheap. The downside to prebuilt is that the parts used are usually cheapest ones available, for example a no-name 600W PSU vs a well known 600W
    My store does that sort of.

You give me the specs and what you want the system to do, and budget and we go from there. We pick the parts, and if you want us to build it for you that is small $49 charge, an addition 40 if you want to do water cooling. You know what is going into the system, and our techs make sure every part works and is compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

https://www.nzxt.com/bldnow

This is a website that will pre-build to your specific likes. Check it out. Also do some research on the web about it to see if it's for you. A youtube channel, Jaytwocents did a video with it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for your replies.

I took a look around my town where I live (Frankfurt, Germany) but couldnt find a reputable store that would pre-build a computer without deliberately including weak or cheap parts.

While browsing I found that Asus and HP (Omen series) have decent desktop PCs that cost around 1600 with a decent enough performance. Would they be well enough to be worth an investment?

Thank you for your help

Can you share a link to the computers you are looking at? I don't want to be looking at something completely different than what you're looking at.

Build your own, if you're worried about assembly you can give a few beers to a friend.
    We can provide a pcpartpicker list if you tell us what's the purpose of the pc, what are you playing/working on.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2018-06-24 at 07:44 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure if I have enough posts to make links work but I'll try.

This is the Omen desktop from HP:
    (store.hp.(com)/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2PV17EA&opt=ABD&sel=DTP&p=c-OMEN-by-HP-gaming-desktops) remove the brackets from .com

And this one would be the ASUS RoG one on amazon:

(/www.amazon(.de)/gp/product/B01N5SSTH2/ref=s9u_psimh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N5SSTH2&pd_rd_r=8f5c14c7-77e6-11e8-879e-d3dccc9dfcbf&pd_rd_w=G2Dpf&pd_rd_wg=Bd4hI&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=9X5Z6XKN H1F5WMXH5XB6&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=5ef2ea30-b19b-49a5-ba01-794d4f42e505&pf_rd_i=desktop)
    again remove the brackets from .de

------------------------

I found a somewhat trustworthy shop in my city that would build a desktop for me with the following parts:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Dual OC (500 Euro)
    Intel Core i7-8700 Processor Tray (305 Euro)
    ASUS Prime H370 Plus Motherboard (115 Euro)
    250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 SSD (115 Euro)
    LG GH24NSD1 DvD-Drive (30 Euro)
    1000GB Western Digital WD Blue 1TB - 3,5" Serial ATA-600 Harddrive (50 Euro)
    Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB Fan (80 Euro)
    500W be quiet! Pure Power 10 - 80 Plus Silver Power Supply (70 Euro)
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - 2666 (2x 8GB) (200 Euro)
    Case Tower (35 Euro)

The above setup would cost me around 1500 euros plus around 50 for the building.

Cheaper, with some higher quality components and higher performance.

PCPartPicker part list: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ycBJw6
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/ycBJw6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor (€332.58 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler (€44.90 @ Caseking)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€157.31 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€152.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€107.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ARMOR Video Card (€447.99 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€59.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€83.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC - F12 PWM 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (€4.69 @ Aquatuning)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC - F12 PWM 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (€4.69 @ Aquatuning)
    Total: €1454.41
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-24 22:09 CEST+0200

edit: added some case fans.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2018-06-24 at 08:10 PM.

Might I ask why go with the i7 over the i5?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure if I have enough posts to make links work but I'll try.

This is the Omen desktop from HP:
    (store.hp.(com)/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2PV17EA&opt=ABD&sel=DTP&p=c-OMEN-by-HP-gaming-desktops) remove the brackets from .com

And this one would be the ASUS RoG one on amazon:

(/www.amazon(.de)/gp/product/B01N5SSTH2/ref=s9u_psimh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N5SSTH2&pd_rd_r=8f5c14c7-77e6-11e8-879e-d3dccc9dfcbf&pd_rd_w=G2Dpf&pd_rd_wg=Bd4hI&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=9X5Z6XKN H1F5WMXH5XB6&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=5ef2ea30-b19b-49a5-ba01-794d4f42e505&pf_rd_i=desktop)
    again remove the brackets from .de

------------------------

I found a somewhat trustworthy shop in my city that would build a desktop for me with the following parts:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Dual OC (500 Euro)
    Intel Core i7-8700 Processor Tray (305 Euro)
    ASUS Prime H370 Plus Motherboard (115 Euro)
    250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 SSD (115 Euro)
    LG GH24NSD1 DvD-Drive (30 Euro)
    1000GB Western Digital WD Blue 1TB - 3,5" Serial ATA-600 Harddrive (50 Euro)
    Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB Fan (80 Euro)
    500W be quiet! Pure Power 10 - 80 Plus Silver Power Supply (70 Euro)
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - 2666 (2x 8GB) (200 Euro)
    Case Tower (35 Euro)

The above setup would cost me around 1500 euros plus around 50 for the building.
    You live in Frankfurt, that's a big city, there should be plenty of stores to build you a PC.
    https://www.google.lt/search?q=frank...,lf:1,lf_ui:10

The parts @Hextor suggested look solid, I edited it abit to include 1080 instead, print out part list and go to any store and ask if they can assemble it for you.
    500e for 1070 non TI looks like a robbery, there are 1080 cards for a bit more
    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/...x1080armor8goc

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor (€332.38 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€104.90 @ Caseking)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€152.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€107.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card (€523.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€59.90 @ Caseking)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€86.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1496.38
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-25 13:37 CEST+0200

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,

So I finally found a story that is decent and trustworthy enough to get a Desktop PC built there. I sent them the parts list and asked them to give me an estimate including the actual construction of the PC.

However they told me they would have to change two things, for one part they would have to change the CPU Cooler to a "Scythe Mugen 5 SCMG 5000 PCGH Edition" (http://www.arlt.com/Scythe-Mugen-5-S...U-Kuehler.html) and for Memory they would change to "16GB GSkill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 (2x8 GB) (http://www.arlt.com/index.php?cl=details&anid=1013646".

The total would come to 1840 Euro instead of our estimated 1500.

Thats around 300 Euro more. However I would probably buy my Monitor at the same store, which would be an Asus PB278QR (27 inch, 2560x1440 with 75hz). That monitor is currently on sale with them and I would save around 70 euro compared to Amazon.

Thoughts on the whole thing?

As I stated in the first post I would mainly be playing Dota2, Monster Hunter World, Fallout 4+75 and probably new Diablo / TES titles once they become available.

Thank you in advance

Edit: The reason they changed those two things would be because they are worried that the Noctua cooler would just barely fit into the case and that could lead to damage during transportation / shipping. The Storage change would be because they have the other option at the store and would not need to order it first.
    Last edited by Ochinko; 2018-07-29 at 10:09 AM.

The total would come to 1840 Euro instead of our estimated 1500.

Thats around 300 Euro more. However I would probably buy my Monitor at the same store, which would be an Asus PB278QR (27 inch, 2560x1440 with 75hz). That monitor is currently on sale with them and I would save around 70 euro compared to Amazon.

Thoughts on the whole thing?

Well its Germany, i dont know how much they charge there for "work" so i would guess the 100e of the 240e difference is that one.

The other 140e is kinda overkill considering they are gonna put a worst cooler, which is rather irrelevant if you are not gonna OC so, it shouldnt matter but its -20e difference.

The RAM change is fine, 3.2Ghz is the recommended either way, costs the same as 3.000, but why RGB? >_> waste of money, either way!

Apart from that, the MSI cards are priced differently all over the place, it could be another 50e from that one too.

The rest, no idea, probably gaining 10e from its piece as any store would do since they order from elsewhere and they have to make a profit.

Can you actually link that store by any chance?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is the store in question: http://www.arlt.com/frankfurt/

So how should I proceed then? Should I insist on getting my actual part list done and ask them what that would cost?

This store is the only proper computer store I could find that actually will build a custom desktop on request.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    My store does that sort of.

You give me the specs and what you want the system to do, and budget and we go from there. We pick the parts, and if you want us to build it for you that is small $49 charge, an addition 40 if you want to do water cooling. You know what is going into the system, and our techs make sure every part works and is compatible.
    That how I do it as well.
    I charge 30 us$ for ordering and building the PC for them.

EDIT just read the thread.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2018-07-29 at 10:55 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

This is the store in question: http://www.arlt.com/frankfurt/

So how should I proceed then? Should I insist on getting my actual part list done and ask them what that would cost?

This store is the only proper computer store I could find that actually will build a custom desktop on request.
    Here:

https://imgur.com/a/UKKPV36

No case, you can decide what you want to look at and what color.

With that shop keeping the price below 2k is a bit hard and most of my choices are equal with the best while they are on sale like the Samsung SSD and the Dark Rock Pro 4, i would get ordering asap or the cost will go up by ~100e.

Frankly you are also wasting money of the 8700K, the 8700 will do you just as good since you wont be OCing.

1070 Ti has an average 5% difference from the 1080 while the 1080 costs +80-100e more, hence putting 1070 Ti to lower the price overall, if you wanna push it to 2.2K then go ahead and get the 1080.

Also, their 1080 choices are atrocious cionsidering the ASUS at 620 is the only actual choise, while their 1070 Ti choices are excellent.

Also not sure why you would waste that much money on a 75Hz screen, unless you really want the IPS panel to watch stuff on it also which i understand but still, non-144Hz screen in 2018 as a new purchase? Eh.

Unless i chose the wrong screen? o.O Either way i dont know german so hard to read around even with Ghrome Translate, even so, not sure why they would charge you to build it if you order everything from them.

Now that above is with what you chose and others suggested, but i would get this for the stuff your suggested you are gonna play:

https://imgur.com/a/vECotwm

And combine it with any of these, even if its pushing your budget : https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products...=1&W=2700,5500

Again, many things are on "offer" so the prices might change by the time you see it.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-07-29 at 12:48 PM.