Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why isn't everyone beautiful?

Does evolution favor beautiful people? Do they have more kids? Are their children more likely to survive?

Are there any benefits to being plain?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Beauty is a social construct.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder".
    Drink enough beer and eventually everyone will look good.

Deleted
    No. Physical appearance has nothing to do with health nor fertility. It's purely a human observation thing.

Deleted
    Beauty is not a set thing. It changes with culture and time. two hot people fucking are not always going to have hot kids. Also many unattractive people breed.
    Last edited by mmoc8d6f890807; 2018-07-04 at 07:06 AM.

Deleted
    People don't look the same because DNA is chaotic like that, and has an unlimited amount of combinations when creating not only the face but the body features as well, otherwise we would all be clones. Which would be very politically correct, if you think about it.

Does evolution favor beautiful people? Do they have more kids? Are their children more likely to survive?

Are there any benefits to being plain?

Let's set aside the fact that beauty is purely subjective...

Do you think evolution really applies to humans as we are today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    ding ding ding, the thread can be closed now as there isn't anymore to say.

When everybody is beautiful, then nobody is beautiful.

My faith tells me that Humans never evolved. I believe in the story of genesis not the one in the bible now which is a lie but the original one. I do believe that animals have evolved though.

Does evolution currently apply to humans? Of course it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    No. Physical appearance has nothing to do with health nor fertility. It's purely a human observation thing.
    I wouldn't say that, some people are more attractive because they are healthy, and healthy people tend to be more fertile.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Beauty is not a set thing. It changes with culture and time. two hot people fucking are always going to have hot kids. Also many unattractive people breed.
    not how it works. attractiveness isn't inherited; there are good phenotypes that can present themselves but there's no guarantees. it's mostly luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I wouldn't say that, some people are more attractive because they are healthy, and healthy people tend to be more fertile.
    Not really. If I see an ugly woman, I don't care she's the most healthy person on the planet, not gonna tap that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beauty is based on perception whether that perception is useful or anything else is circumstantial. Evolution and Natural Selection have nothing to do with it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    My faith tells me that Humans never evolved. I believe in the story of genesis not the one in the bible now which is a lie but the original one. I do believe that animals have evolved though.
    People today are clearly at least taller than the people of only 50 years ago, and they continue to get taller. I was tall when I was a teenager. Nowadays if you walk by a highschool, you swear most of the students are basketball players or something. A lot of them are fucking giants.

Why isn't everyone a genius in a science or art? Why isn't everyone more apt to do activity that would make them physically more capable, stronger and faster?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Some of it is culturally or socially constructed. But there are also some objective reasons as to why things such as the female hour glass shape is found to be beautiful across cultures. Aesthetics is a difficult topic because it's one of those fields that is at the boundary between science and nonscience.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are attracted to beautiful people, so by that logic you'd think they were the only people breeding and would eventually evolve away from beauty. That may be true to some extent, but there's one major flaw in that logic. Ugly people have always been able to find partners. They get them by being smart, funny, or other non physical properties or just by finding an equally unattractive partner. So their genes also pass on. Of course beauty can be subjective, but obviously were referring to beauty as the timeless beauties that 99.99% of people like and have always liked: tall muscular men with a pretty face and nice hair (MPB is never really predictable and hot 20 year olds could have it) and skinny, but with sexy wide hips and a pretty face for women.

Who knows, with progress in genetics and in vetro fertilization, perhaps everyone will be able to make the most attractive babies their genes can make, and eventually ugly people will fade out. Of course this would just cause the gap of ugly vs hot to shrink and someone could be considered ugly for not having the right nose even though they're flawless otherwise.
    Last edited by Azarak; 2018-07-03 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    When everybody is beautiful, then nobody is beautiful.
    Counter-argument: Everyone can be beautiful, but nobody is beautiful to everyone.
    *nods sagely*