Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/us/il...cer/index.html

An Illinois park is investigating after a woman accused one of its police officers of standing by as a man harassed her for wearing a shirt with the Puerto Rican flag, saying it was un-American.

Mia Irizarry says she was trying to celebrate her 24th birthday in the Forest Preserves of Cook County last month when the man approached her asking her why she was wearing the sleeveless Puerto Rico flag shirt, which also had "Puerto Rico" written below the V neckline.

Irizarry recorded the encounter on her phone, saying she felt threatened, and posted the video to Facebook. It has since been removed.
    On Monday, Forest Preserves of Cook County tweeted that it was aware of the June 14 incident and video.

‏"After the incident, we immediately launched an investigation pursuant to our personnel policies into the response of our officer," it said, in a series of posts on Twitter. "The investigation is ongoing and the officer involved has been assigned to desk duty pending the outcome. The intoxicated individual involved in the incident was arrested and charged with assault and disorderly conduct.

The investigation is ongoing and the officer involved has been assigned to desk duty pending the outcome. The intoxicated individual involved in the incident was arrested and charged with assault and disorderly conduct.

"All people are welcome in the Forest Preserves of Cook County and no one should feel unsafe while visiting our preserves."
    'Officer, I feel uncomfortable'

In the footage, the man can be seen approaching Irizarry saying: "You should not be wearing that in the United States of America." He gets closer to her and asks "Are you a citizen? Are you a United States citizen?"

Irizarry can be heard saying that Puerto Rico is part of the United States and the man approaches her multiple times.
    Irizarry asks a park police officer to help, saying "I am renting this area and he's harassing me about the shirt that I'm wearing."
    Later she says: "Officer, I feel entirely uncomfortable, can you remove ... please officer" as the officer is seen walking away from her.
    Then she says: "Officer, I'm renting, I paid for a permit for this area.. I do not feel comfortable with him here, is there anything you can do? "
    The officer can then be seen talking to the man who gesticulates back and tells him to "shut the f*** up."

Female officer steps in
    More police arrive and Irizarry says she still doesn't feel safe. The man resumes his abuse, saying: "You're not American, if you were American you wouldn't wear that. You know that right?"

A female officer officer asks to see his ID and can be heard telling him that he's intoxicated to which he replies "well that's your judgment." She explains that Irizarry has a permit and she warns him that he could be arrested "for not being compliant."

"You don't come here harassing people," the officer continues. "People have just as much right to be here as you and when you're drunk, you don't belong here."

The female officer then speaks with Irizarry who gives her version of the incident and the officer explains that they were called to the area after a report that a man was choking a woman.

Eventually the first officer on the scene takes notes of Irizarry's account of the incident and says that he was at the scene due to the separate incident, noting that she was not being attacked though acknowledging she felt threatened.

Irizarry can be heard explaining to the officer that the incident began when they had asked the group the man was in if they could move as they had a permit for the area. She said the group politely complied but her Puerto Rico shirt appeared to act as a trigger to the man.

US commonwealth
    Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth with its own constitution, rather than a state. Puerto Rican residents have been American citizens since 1917 and have the right to vote in US presidential primaries, but not in presidential elections.

The Trump administration has received criticism for its treatment of Puerto Rico, particularly for its response after Hurricane Maria struck last September.
    The official death toll from Maria stands at 64 but a recent Harvard study estimated 4,645 people could have perished.

Calling for statehood, Puerto Rico's representative in the House, Resident Commissioner Jenniffer González-Colón last month said "Hurricanes Irma and María unmasked the reality of the unequal treatment of the American living in Puerto Rico".

The officer was complicit.

That being said, you can't fix stupid. Or drunk. Or old.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

This incident is going to be even more awkward of an event in our history if Puerto Rico ever actually becomes a state.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    This incident is going to be even more awkward of an event in our history if Puerto Rico ever actually becomes a state.
    We might as well offer Mexico statehood if we offer it to Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is third world and they aren't going to change.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We might as well offer Mexico statehood if we offer it to Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is third world and they aren't going to change.
    Can't be any worse than kansas. Just give them some representatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Define third world country. Puerto Rico is one of the richest areas in the Caribbean and a part of the United States. It's not just some country with big ambitions, Puerto Ricans are all US citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Define third world country. Puerto Rico is one of the richest areas in the Caribbean and a part of the United States. It's not just some country with big ambitions, Puerto Ricans are all US citizens.

That's because they are connected to the US as a territory.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    That's because they are connected to the US as a territory.
    Does that mean the US is third world?

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Does that mean the US is third world?
    Outside of Blue States and metropolitan areas, yes, yes it is.

Puerto Rico is literally part of the US. Are you making a deliberately ignorant comment?

10+ Year Old Account
    So is Kansas. What's your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

If Puerto Rico shirts are unamerican, what are confederate flags???

Serious question: what's stopping Congress from making Puerto Rico the 51st state? Is the disdain for their own citizens that high?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Serious question: what's stopping Congress from making Puerto Rico the 51st state? Is the disdain for their own citizens that high?
    they would prob vote blue

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alienated Liberal Mitten View Post
    If Puerto Rico shirts are unamerican, what are confederate flags???
    real american duuuuhhhhhh

Looks like what I imagine to be an Average Trump supporter LOL

Very fine people indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed010 View Post
    Outside of Blue States and metropolitan areas, yes, yes it is.
    If you think the "metropolitan" areas are the peak of US living you have a very small view of the world.

So i want you genius conservatives to tell me this, i will take your silence as an act of cowardice, if according to your favorite youtuber, whites are superior intellectually to all other races, as you state time and time again, why is it, that this white man, supposedly a superior race in your mind, is not aware that puerto ricans are US citizens? and yet i know probably dozens of brown people, to whom you're favorite youtubers have most certainly stated are clearly less smart by their belief, is indeed aware that puerto ricans are US citizens and puerto rico is a territory of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    From what I've read(and this was some time ago) their citizens have wanted to become a state but their own corrupt government has done everything they can to prevent it.

The GDP of Mississippi was 88.55 Billion in 2007.

GPD of Puerto Rico was 103.1 Billion in 2013.

We have a lot of "failed" and 3rd world states in our Republic.

In fact PR ranks 38th coming ahead of New Mexico, Alaska, Maine, Delaware, Hawaii and Montana to name a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP