Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Let's talk profit, dummy. By not removing the requirement, Blizzard is obviously pushing away potential returning players and new ones who don't want to grind Legion content to play those race in BfA. That's like $15 a month plus other money said players might have paid for other character services.

By "not caving" and appeasing all the mouth breathers, they please... you... and... some others, and you're not going to be making the difference they would have earned from other players returning. Also, if Blizzard had lifted the restrictions, you wouldn't have quit playing anyway so nothing would have been lost. You've had six months to have those races before everyone else if you unlocked them, but that's not enough, you think it's good design to keep them locked behind old content because of a false sense of achievement. Get a clue, it's a game and it's a bad design to keep current features locked behind old content. MMO's are time-consuming and grinding Suramar and Argus for like a month to get extra races is laughably bad game design.
    Lol. It's cute that you actually think that the number of people who will quit or decide not to play because of allied race requirements are an even noticeable amount. By not removing the requirement Blizzard is ensuring that people have another thing to spend time doing, and thus another reason to stay subbed, while also retaining the value of a system that rewards continuing to play.

MMOs are time-consuming by design. Stop asking for fundamental MMO gameplay elements to be removed because you lack a decent attention span or the motivation to get rewards by doing the things that unlock those rewards. Go play fornite, that's probably more your speed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    By not removing the requirement Blizzard is ensuring that people have another thing to spend time doing, and thus another reason to stay subbed, while also retaining the value of a system that rewards continuing to play.
    This.

Plus, the why the hell would someone PREPURCHASE an expansion if they weren't playing the game right when prepurchases were available? The BONUS to unlocking Legion Allied Races isn't for new players at all. It's for people currently playing the game to be given more to do and thus continuing to stay subbed.

I mean Blizzard has literally came out and said that their current method for Allied Races is releasing during lulls to give players extra stuff to do.

It's not for new/returning players in the way of "oh cool if I start the game up right now I get a cool new race."

Let those people wait. I'm glad for no plans to change the requirements! I don't doubt the requirements will change some years down the line, but that's fine. Do it years down the line.

It takes a few weeks of doing about 10 mins of WQs a day. Sure you can't choose how much to grind in a day, but overall time spent to unlocking an AR is probably something in the hours, much less than an actual day.

People who are complaining about the requirements just sound extremely impatient when an MMO has grinding and/or repeating content at its core.

It's fun to see all the salt flowing over at Reddit/in this thread over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    They said it a few times before about Draenor flying that they see it just like old content which is available and is not impeding with new content. Just like if you want X transmog from Exalted Lower City in Shatrath - you just have to grind that rep and you get it.
    I would actually love it if they never did lax on the Allied Race grind. That way if you see someone who is playing it you know they went and earned it. Whether or not someone agrees it was worthwhile, it was still earned.

I wouldn't even mind if new special classes released ended up like that as well.

Good, I hope they can stick to their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Old mounts and titles arent advertized as BfA features.

If you tell people you can now play BfA as a Voidelf, they will want to download the game and play the new content as a voidelf. If they find out that that won't happen for a month, chances are that they will insult some Gms or just plain refund the game and leave.

Guess we will see. I can see them just keeping it as it is, so that players dont get the expectations that allied race requirements are just a temporary thing. I can also see them giving in due to backlash.
    The reason rep tokens sound like a likely outcome is that that would be a compromise. You technically still need the same amount of rep, but you don't need to grind legion content for a month anymore.
    But Blizzard does not say that. They say you gain the trust of allies to unlock them as options. Nothing in any marketing says you can buy the expansion and play as an Allied Race from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    But Blizzard does not say that. They say you gain the trust of allies to unlock them as options. Nothing in any marketing says you can buy the expansion and play as an Allied Race from the start.
    I'm not arguing on a legal or "promise(tm)!" kind of basis, just on how the trailer will lead to reasonable assumptions based on how this has worked so far (what you see in the trailer is available at launch or unlockable in the new addon) which will than be disappointed. They have the right to disappoint those people of course, I just don't think it's in their interest.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    They said it a few times before about Draenor flying that they see it just like old content which is available and is not impeding with new content. Just like if you want X transmog from Exalted Lower City in Shatrath - you just have to grind that rep and you get it.
    But the thing is with that is dreanor flying is tied to dreanor and earned and only usable in dreanor. Allied races are a bfa feature but the first 4 you have to grind legion content for. Now I agree they arent very hard to get and I think argus and army of light rep are actually easier to get if your just starting because you can get 2k from weeklies. High mountain you have to do the questline and then grind old wq and hope for an emissary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Official for sure. Unofficially and unplanned but they will drop the requirements in 8.1 at the latest. That’s how this back and fourth works. Players have a logical reason to ask for something (classic, flying), blizzard hasn’t thought about the aspect in the same way as players and put out a kneejerk response that upsets the community. Internet riot ensues and Blizzard change their mind.
    Players have been demanding Blizz to drop Pathfinder for old expansions and give flying for gold. Blizzard still refuses to make that change. YOua re going to be so disappointed when the requirements are still needed in 8.1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    "I don't like it so it's bad and stupid" - put your dummy back in, haha.

I think it's great when Blizzard don't cave into these pathetic demands for instant gratification. I swear you people will only be satisfied when you have everything mailed to you.
    Exactly. Blizzard should not be rewarding people for being lazy. That just breeds more entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post
    So Blizzard will continue to force stupid rep requirements for a core feature of the expansion? Neat.
    The IDEA of Allied Factions were introduced for BFA. As part of that they added some "sweetner" allied races that you could go for in Legion (so long as you pre-purchased BFA). All allied races will likely have rep requirements for them - he legion ones are no exception. All that its going to achieve by constant moaning about the requirements for the legion ones and saying that they shoudl not need legion rep as its a BFA feature is convince Blizzard that in future not to "throw us a bone" of something we can work toward NOW for a new feature.

All they had to do to stop this moaning is to either just not bother about the legion races. Dont give us that little extra thing to go for now, or make them require BFA rep - either way not enabling us to have them now - or ever. Would that have been better? To not have the races?

Allied races are gated behind grinds (not hard ones tbh). They gave us some early - in legion. So we had to grind legion rep for them - it's hardly rocket science.

I mean, recruiting the Lightforged into your faction without ever having gone to Argus is stupid. I'm okay with asking the player to actually have a relationship with the race they want to unlock. People still go back and do reps like Netherwing and the Cloud Serpent Order. If people want to be a Void Elf they can make it happen. This isn't the end of the world.

And if they don't want to do those things then they can look forward to future allied races just like the rest of us.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Blizzard didn't cave in under the pressure of quitters and unsubbers? Read: the people who don't give them money anyway? What a shocker!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Argus' story lasted like 2 hours to complete, it was like 3 chapters, and by the time you were done, you were barely honored. You're time gated behind a finite number of World Quests. It takes at least weeks to get exalted. It most certainly feels and IS a grind. Highmountain and Suramar were much better designed.
    Not really. It's just that by the time these came out you had probably already done most if not all the re requirements in highmountain and suramar. its not the rep grind thats an issue -but the fact that both Alliance ones need you to grind NEW rep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmeya View Post
    Yeah, it's this "half of this and half of that" what makes it weird.
    It is I agree. Basically though we are talking about a Legion feature (the legion races) that are gated behind purchasing BFA. Its simply "if you buy BFA we will throw in these 4 legion races".

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Allied races are gated behind grinds (not hard ones tbh). They gave us some early - in legion. So we had to grind legion rep for them - it's hardly rocket science.
    Which is fine NOW, when BfA hasn't even launched yet. The problem with it arises when Legion is no longer the current expansion, and its content is likewise no longer current.

Allied races are a feature of BfA, and asking players to go BACKWARDS and not just play old content to unlock them, but grind rep(one of the most hated and frowned upon 'features' of all MMOs) in content that's not even current? That's where the problem is, and that's why asking for the requirements to be relaxed is legitimate.

It seems like a reasonable requirement now, because Legion is still fresh and current, even in 8.0. But a week into BfA when literally NOTHING in Legion is important? Come back then and talk about how worthy and good it is to go back and waste time grinding Argussian reach rep everyone focused on BfA progress and reps.

Deleted
    Heaven forbid they give people something meaningful to actually work towards that isn't just the next 1% power upgrade. How very dare they. If a new player picks up the game purely for the fact that they can unlock shiny new races, and then instantly gets put off when you have to earn them, then they'll probably end up going back to CoD the day afterwards.
    Too many people want instant gratification these days.
    "I want it and I want it NOW!!!111 WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME TO UNLOCK SOMETHING????? REFUND!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    It is I agree. Basically though we are talking about a Legion feature (the legion races) that are gated behind purchasing BFA. Its simply "if you buy BFA we will throw in these 4 legion races".
    As long as you have to buy BfA to get them, they're a BfA feature, NOT Legion. No matter how much rep you grind or how much Legion content you complete, you literally can't get any allied race unless you drop that $50 for BfA. Calling it a Legion feature is misleading(which is mostly Blizzard's fault for releasing some allied races during Legion, despite them being from BfA).
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-07-17 at 12:48 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And so what? Seriously?
    Many of us grinder things, so why can't new players do it too?
    Getting the insane title was so dreadful at times, grinding DKF reputation was HARD and super limited..plus there was no DMF isle and daily quests...
    Farming chests with my rogue made me LOVE my rogue lol... And I would do it all over again, because it was worth it.

When you want something in life, you work for it unless you are rich

Same goes here. Later on with 10 more levels and gear it will take half of the time anyway. Just quit moaning and do it

Deleted
    Oh no! I actually have to work towards something in the game!

I think while we're at it, let's make netherdrakes just purchasable from a vendor. Or all other old rep mounts for that matter.

OR we could add "LFR" versions of allied races, slightly less lightforged dreanei for only friendly rep so not that much effort is required. That should do the trick.

Deleted
    Don't get this, if you wanted the netherdrakes, you had to grind stuff in TBC outland.... and people still do this.

People still grind old content stuff to this day that isn't really any faster now then back then and people still do them.

Its about time blizzard kept a vanity grind thats specific to its time and keep it that way, I'm not interested in allied races but its nice to have something there if I wanted to do with a bit of grind.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Same goes here. Later on with 10 more levels and gear it will take half of the time anyway. Just quit moaning and do it
    Totally. It may take the same amount of "time" waiting for new quests to get more rep etc - but when at lvl120 decide to go back and do this and do all the quests available, it will take you around 10 mins per day at most to do them.

Years ago I remember going BACK to Ungoro to train up and eventually obtain my raptor mount. Took me a month of doing this every day. It wasn't "current content" but so what?

The whole argument however seem to come down to one thing..... It is only available once you buy BFA so that makes it a BFA feature and so I shouldn't have to do anything in Legion for it. It's not a unique concept. Pre-purchase this new thing - and I will give you something to do with your old thing. It doesnt make it BFA content. It is definately Legion content - but only granted to those who buy BFA - I am surprised why people consider this a new or unusual thing.

Would people REALLY prefer that the Legion Allied Races were gated behind BFA rep? The BFA ones are - so logically the legion ones should not be available until lvl120 and repped up with BFA factions......

Some people here are talking like the announcement was made last week when in reality it was like a bunch of couple months ago. If you're notplaying at daily basis,you're gonna get punished period. That's core to a MMO - Progression and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    People still grind old content stuff to this day that isn't really any faster now then back then and people still do them.
    Allied races aren't "old stuff" however. They're a CURRENT feature that requires grinding old stuff.

It would be like...if you wanted to fly in BfA, but you had to go back and get exalted with a Legion rep.