Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Automatic is for loosers, as real people know when to shift gear and you loose A LOT of milage on automatic.. Roughly 1 KM per liter..
    As electric and hybrid cars take over the product stacks of the manufacturers (for example, Ford aims to have a hybrid or full electric vehicle in every market segment they serve by 2022), manual transmissions will become harder and harder to find (electric cars don't have a "transmission" in the traditional sense and there are no manual transmission hybrids on the market).

The fuel consumption argument is also disappearing due to automatic gearboxes becoming more intelligent. And in my experience, drivers of manual cars tend to drive more aggressively, which would more than compensate for the 5% difference in consumption that you estimated.

Fully electric cars are absolute bullshit

Elongated Husk is using global warming as a marketing ploy to sell his brand of cars

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I love cars but... Modern cars have entirely too much horsepower. HP isn't that interesting.
    As someone that's gotten severe snowstorms each year, i beg to differ. Small cars with little horse power will have you stranded and calling for rescue pretty quick.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

While looking for a new car this spring I test-drove a 110ish BHP Fiesta and over the ~60km drive on city, country and motorway roads I got a combined consumption of over 7 litres per 100 km (indicated by the car instrumentation and believable from what the fuel indicator needle did). That's less than 40 miles per gallon (UK). No 1 litre 3 cylinder engine has any business using that much fuel. That's the kind of fuel consumption I'd expect from a 180+ BHP 2000cc engine.
    Oh I agree on the fuel consumption. Turbocharged car will use more fuel as a byproduct of turbocharging. I get around 35MPG in my Astra.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Fully electric cars are absolute bullshit
    Electric cars in general are bullshit. If you don't want to pollute use public transportation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If someone doesn't have $50K in savings, they shouldn't be buying a $50K car. This seems pretty obvious to me.

Taking the loan because it's low interest makes perfectly good financial sense, but if you couldn't pay for it in cash, it doesn't make sense to buy it. The why not seems equally obvious to me - you need to manage retirement funds, not buy some mediocre Infiniti that doesn't get you much of anything.

The fact that it's how large purchases are done is true, but it's exactly what I'm saying - people make terrible, terrible choices and have negative savings rates.
    Yes, but having debt doesn't automatically lead to negative savings. I'll use my own example, ~160k a year, 75k car, put down 40, got rid of the rest over 3 years with next to no interest. I still put money towards my retirement fund, still put money into rainy day savings and kept living like we normally do. Literally nothing changed other than getting the car a year and a half earlier than I would if I'd saved up the full amount. If the amounts make sense in your budget, there's not much reason not to do it. Obviously you shouldn't bury yourself with a 200k car on a 40k salary, but if you can continue to make your financial obligations with a reasonable security and still make the payments, I don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Yes, but having debt doesn't automatically lead to negative savings. I'll use my own example, ~160k a year, 75k car, put down 40, got rid of the rest over 3 years with next to no interest. I still put money towards my retirement fund, still put money into rainy day savings and kept living like we normally do. Literally nothing changed other than getting the car a year and a half earlier than I would if I'd saved up the full amount. If the amounts make sense in your budget, there's not much reason not to do it. Obviously you shouldn't bury yourself with a 200k car on a 40k salary, but if you can continue to make your financial obligations with a reasonable security and still make the payments, I don't see why not.
    Right, like I said, I don't begrudge people toys they can afford. I'm saying that people buy a lot of mediocre shit that they can't afford. The number of people I see that make like $40K yet own expensive pickups is just absurd. Nationally, the number of people that have basically nothing saved is a quiet crisis.

I'm not saying no one should buy an expensive toy. I'm saying that the cultural normalization of buying things people can't afford is awful and that there's pretty much nothing where it's more common than cars.

Taking no interest loans for things that you can afford is a no brainer though, I agree there. If someone's offering to finance something at 0% (or otherwise below inflation) and you're going to buy it anyway, take them up on it and reap the rewards of investing the money instead of dumping it into a good.

Deleted
    Automatic is for loosers, as real people know when to shift gear and you loose A LOT of milage on automatic.. Roughly 1 KM per liter..
    Agree if you're driving for the pleasure of it and have an engine with some bite to it. If you're stuck in the commuter traffic and staring at headlights 20 yards at a time... Not so much. A well anticipated downshift and kick out of a curve is a primal pleasure, but sometimes automatics are just more practical.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    There's no difference between a Ford and a Chevy.
    There is. Chevrolet's will die in half the lifespan of a Ford.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm saying that people buy a lot of mediocre shit that they can't afford. The number of people I see that make like $40K yet own expensive pickups is just absurd.
    Then I say we have no quarrel, sir. Good day to you!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You clearly know absolutely zero about cars if you think you lose mileage on automatic. The only time manual ever matters is long distance driving without down shifting ever, as soon as you hit any level of large city traffic, manual is both a chore to drive and inefficient on gas over automatic. Manual is still stuck on 6 speed transmission, automatics are up to 10 speed and can shift more often, resulting in significantly less fuel consumed in heavy traffic. So unless you want to shift 4 times as often in order to change gears just to have "muh manual transmission", enjoy your fuel inefficient cars. The only place where manual still matters is in climates that can efficiently run diesel engines. There's a reason why they, like manual transmission, aren't popular in Canada and the USA, because most of our climates are bad for diesel and they shift like shit and chug fuel when it's -40 outside. Hell, diesel manual cars require block heaters here.

Anything that's an SUV or bigger is fucking ugly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Fiero is a great car.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by reecejackox View Post
    i will start

Honda is a cool car brand.
    i dont really give a shit about cars in general

10+ Year Old Account
    Trucks are meant for people that do allot of heavy duty work and need to haul huge workloads. That is one category...

The other is meant for men with small dicks.

lol this whole discussion reminds e of this.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    You're so poor when it comes to driving in the snow that your state outright makes it illegal?
    Holy shit dude, that's impressive. I mean I have seen a fair few thousands of videos of US drivers just shitting the bed in the snow but atleast you could fucking learn.

Secondly, "when it snows bad only once or twice a year?"
    Again, there are more countries than the fucking US.
    Tell that to Trump voters, not me

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    You must not get hardons from big block engines... Reading what you wrote just digs at my soul... its nearly bedtime please hug your trees before you go to sleep lol.
    You are mistaking me here. I'm an enthusiast in every sense of the word, I track my car, used to auto - cross and rally - cross. I've been to skip barber racing school, in planning on going to O'Neil rally school early next year...
    I love cars, I've driven high hp cars, I don't really like "big block" muscle, I actually prefer the earlier muscle car, based on the CanAm racers with the small block v8s (to answer that question). 99% of drivers on the road can't handle a miata at 7/10... But I can buy a 460hp Mustang for little more than 35k. And let's not get into cars that are borderline dyno queens in the Hellcat family. There are actual racecar drivers who would have issues getting everything from some cars available to everyone today, and I think it's unnecessary. Minivans don't need near 350-400hp, soccer practice isn't going anywhere.

I think HP has gotten out of control. I'm not calling for governmental regulations on it. But I kind of wish car makers would take it on themselves to apply technology differently, other than massive hp numbers for vehicles that are doomed to never get used or understood properly, or more seriously, wrapped around a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    As someone that's gotten severe snowstorms each year, i beg to differ. Small cars with little horse power will have you stranded and calling for rescue pretty quick.
    HP, or vehicle output has nothing to do with winter driving. Unless you are operating a plow or pulling vehicles. You'd be fine with 50hp and a set of snow tires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Depends what cars, plenty of choice out there. Most people in the UK are driving sub 100bhp economy hatchbacks, in the current climate it's a lot harder to own a high powered car than it used to be. America might be a place where everyone drives a 300bhp truck, but the rest of the world is very different.
    I understand this, I honestly like the EU model to vehicle ownership.
    Many people in America own vehicles way outside of their abilities or even need. I don't hate special model cars that start pumping out hp. I have an issue with the power creep of mass produced vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post

HP, or vehicle output has nothing to do with winter driving. Unless you are operating a plow or pulling vehicles. You'd be fine with 50hp and a set of snow tires.

- - - Updated - - -
    Have you ever driven on un-plowed streets on a snowstorm? Yea good luck with 50 HPs trying to push through it. God knows how many times i've been asked by family to pick them up because their vehicles were stuck on the road.

Edit: i think you misunderstood. I'm not talking about sliding on an ice road, i'm talking about 3-4 ft of snow on uncleared roads. Horsepower is very relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    cars are over rated. I prefer the city commute :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance