Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Best GPU for 1920x1080?

As the title suggest I'm looking the buy the best one for this resolution, I don't plan to play on 4k, any suggestion on the best brand would be highly appreciated too.

thanks

The best is always the fastest you can afford. So you might have to be a bit more specific what kind of games you expect to play and what kind of framerates you want to see. And perhaps an idea of a budget.

For less that 100hz, in most games, 1060 6Gb/580 8gb. For high refresh rates and almost no compromises, 1070. Much higher than that and you start to see some serious diminishing returns. Even at the 1070, you will start to see it as well.
    Note: These are best cards for 1080p price to performance wise. If you are looking for a "budget" card, 1050ti or 1060 3gb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    The best is always the fastest you can afford. So you might have to be a bit more specific what kind of games you expect to play and what kind of framerates you want to see. And perhaps an idea of a budget.
    400 USD budget
    I expect to play games like: total war warhammer, the witcher 3, resident evil 7, divinity original sin 2, verminitide 2, rise of the tomb raider, and the resident evil 2 next year.
    I want around 55-60 fps on ultra settings but Im willing to lower some settings to high to adquire 60

If you want 144hz all the time, you need GTX 1080. I'd personally go for a 1070 with a gsync monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    If you want 144hz all the time, you need GTX 1080. I'd personally go for a 1070 with a gsync monitor.
    I'm still a noob on most terms, what do you mean by 144hz and gsync monitor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure you can max out almost any game at 1080p and get ~60fps with a RX580 4/8GB or GTX 1060 6GB. That'll save you some money.

Otherwise the next step up is GTX 1070, Vega 56, or GTX 1070TI (in that order when it comes to performance). They can all usually be found between 400-450$, but look for limited time deals, you can even get a GTX 1080 for as low as ~450$ occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    I'm still a noob on most terms, what do you mean by 144hz and gsync monitor?
    Monitors have refresh rate, it is reported in hertz (hz), meaning number of times the monitor refreshes the image on screen in a second. Traditionally, monitors have been 60hz. Nowadays, we have 120/144hz monitors too. The visual/pictorial experience is more smoother on 144hz monitors. I and most find it pleasant. The higher the refresh rate, the more pricey monitors get. Gysnc is Nvidia's adaptive sync solution. It synchronizes the refresh rate of monitor with graphics card, eliminating tearing and some other undesirable effects, gives you smooth visual experience even if your graphics card starts to pump low FPS, say 45-50 in a demanding game.

If you go with a 60hz monitor, you will not need a 1070 or 1080. If you go with a 120hz monitor, a 1070 will probably do just fine. 144hz monitor may require 1080 to reach that point, but if you get a gsync monitor and a 1070 card, the adaptive sync tech will make it feel like 144hz all the time, even if your gpu is pumping 80 fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monitors have refresh rate, it is reported in hertz (hz), meaning number of times the monitor refreshes the image on screen in a second. Traditionally, monitors have been 60hz. Nowadays, we have 120/144hz monitors too. The visual/pictorial experience is more smoother on 144hz monitors. I and most find it pleasant. The higher the refresh rate, the more pricey monitors get. Gysnc is Nvidia's adaptive sync solution. It synchronizes the refresh rate of monitor with graphics card, eliminating tearing and some other undesirable effects, gives you smooth visual experience even if your graphics card starts to pump low FPS, say 45-50 in a demanding game.

If you go with a 60hz monitor, you will not need a 1070 or 1080. If you go with a 120hz monitor, a 1070 will probably do just fine. 144hz monitor may require 1080 to reach that point, but if you get a gsync monitor and a 1070 card, the adaptive sync tech will make it feel like 144hz all the time, even if your gpu is pumping 80 fps.
    wow, thank you very much, this is super helpful for me.

Gsync will basically make your graphics card a bit more future proof in terms of games. Even if your card produces considerably less FPS while running future demanding games, your monitor will take care of it by syncing with what GPU can produce.

But Gsync monitors are not cheap, consider that as well. AMD's solution is much cheaper. I personally do not know both, although I have a gsync monitor. My GPU is 1080Ti, I do not need nor can see its effect with this card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    What are the rest of the specs?

A few things:

- WoW is extremely CPU-bound, depending on area, settings etc. On one area you could get 200 fps and your GPu at 100%, and another you'd drop to 60 fps and the GPU at 35%.
    - at 1080p and maxed 10/10 settings, you would be (almost always) CPU limited with basically any card above GTX 1060-1070.
    - I wouldn't buy a GPU now unless you really, really need one. Nvidia will probably announce and start selling their new generation in the next 2-3 months.
    I really need one, mine is a gtx 670 not even dx12 supported.

10+ Year Old Account
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use a gtx1060 6gb Asus Strix version, with a g-sync 144mhz monitor and it is fully able to keep me at 144mhz 90% of the time. Wow is more about the CPU I believe, and I have an i7-8700k @ 5ghz.

Hmmm, watch EVGA website for video cards. They probably need to clear out inventory for the new launch coming up so they might sell some refurb returns.

The best budget and coolest card is the GTX 1050 ti OC edition 4GB. It is good for 1920x1080 as well!

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't get a 4GB card, that's for sure.

I run Fallout 4 modded and my 980 has VRAM issues. Starting to show age big time. The 1060 or 1070 is a good bet for you.

I'm more in the market for 1070ti or 1080 even though I run 1080. High FPS is more important to me than high resolution, at competitive margins. Also nice to have wiggle room for a 2k display.

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    As the title suggest I'm looking the buy the best one for this resolution, I don't plan to play on 4k, any suggestion on the best brand would be highly appreciated too.

thanks
    So before you go investing in a new GPU, you need to know that Nvidia (and probably AMD) are about to launch there new GPU series. Cause of this the older series will become cheap (as most shops will try to clear stock). So once the new series are out get a 1060 6GB or a 1070 (or if you dont have a budget a AMD 580) and you should be able to play all new games on full details for at least another year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will-I-am View Post
    So before you go investing in a new GPU, you need to know that Nvidia (and probably AMD) are about to launch there new GPU series. Cause of this the older series will become cheap (as most shops will try to clear stock). So once the new series are out get a 1060 6GB or a 1070 (or if you dont have a budget a AMD 580) and you should be able to play all new games on full details for at least another year.
    The RX 580 is about equal to a 1060, not a 1070

I would recommend to wait at least the end of this month. The new gen nvidia cards (11 series) is suppose to be revealed at gamescon.
    If could wait until its release date, then you should be able to pick up a 1060/1070 for a cheaper price.

I am SO glad that I read this post before I began buying components for upgrading. Thank you very much for providing it to those of us that aren't very tech savvy! --<@