Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gul8r View Post
    Thanks @Howlrunner for some of your comments.

I was simply posting this community for those who are interested in same political/right wing type discussion. I actually posted this Community on the official forums before posting this here.

I see a lot of forum posters claiming politics and sexuality shouldn't be part of a game, but have you made a comment on the Left Wing or LGBTQ+ community postings listed on the official forums or here? I highly doubt it. Did I go on their post and make a rude/nasty comment and attack the OP? No, I simply created a opposite leaning political community for those of us who aren't left wingers.
    I am not saying your wrong in fact I agree with you if politics are going to be allowed into the game then everyone's should be allowed not just certain groups.

I would still prefer that it all be left out but I'm old fashioned I would return to what gaming communities were in the year 2000 if I could. Back when it didn't matter who you were just how good you were.were.

Deleted
    Community Name: American Patriots - brand New.

Description: A group of right wing/ Trump supporting/ #Walkaway group of patriots dedicated to restoring this great nation to the principles in which America was founded.
    killing natives and enslaving black people ?

5+ Year Old Account
    Thanks @Howlrunner for some of your comments.

I was simply posting this community for those who are interested in same political/right wing type discussion. I actually posted this Community on the official forums before posting this here.

I see a lot of forum posters claiming politics and sexuality shouldn't be part of a game, but have you made a comment on the Left Wing or LGBTQ+ community postings listed on the official forums or here? I highly doubt it. Did I go on their post and make a rude/nasty comment and attack the OP? No, I simply created a opposite leaning political community for those of us who aren't left wingers.
    LGBT people create LGBT guilds not out of Political Pandering or "Left Wing Politics" but because we don't want some jackass typing in slurs every 5 minutes. We don't want to have people bullying us if we mention our significant other and someone gets their panties in a bunch that the genders involved aren't heteronormative.

As someone who has "Anti Trump" as your big "This is what I'm bullied about!" point you've faced 3-4 years of people saying snide shit about you. LGBT people go their ENTIRE LIVES having churches, politicians, teachers, parents, random assholes on the street, cops, and everyone else in the damned world threatening their lives, their rights, or their safety.

You're building a community with the express intent of talking about politics and shit. The LGBT groups just want to avoid being harassed. These two things aren't even REMOTELY similar.

My gender and sexuality aren't political positions. And seeking out others who will respect that isn't politicking, it's self-care.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Deleted
    I'm a bit confused - if it's as good-natured and non-insulting as you're saying, why call the guild 'American Patriots'? Is it not possible to be patriotic and dislike Trump?

I don't see what the guild's name has to do with it's theme, unless you're trying to call left-wingers, centrists and anti-Trump conservatives (totalling the majority of the American People) unpatriotic. Which would be insulting.
    Last edited by mmoc312b193294; 2018-08-06 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnapDragon112 View Post
    I'm a bit confused - if it's as good-natured and non-insulting as you're saying, why call the guild 'American Patriots'? Is it not possible to be patriotic and dislike Trump?

I don't see what the guild's name has to do with it's theme, unless you're trying to call left-wingers, centrists and anti-Trump conservatives (totalling the majority of the American People) unpatriotic. Which would be insulting.
    A lot of the right wing groups use Patriot in their names since a lot of their propaganda is that only right wingers are actual patriots. You support Trump or you're a traitor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    LGBT people create LGBT guilds not out of Political Pandering or "Left Wing Politics" but because we don't want some jackass typing in slurs every 5 minutes. We don't want to have people bullying us if we mention our significant other and someone gets their panties in a bunch that the genders involved aren't heteronormative.

As someone who has "Anti Trump" as your big "This is what I'm bullied about!" point you've faced 3-4 years of people saying snide shit about you. LGBT people go their ENTIRE LIVES having churches, politicians, teachers, parents, random assholes on the street, cops, and everyone else in the damned world threatening their lives, their rights, or their safety.

You're building a community with the express intent of talking about politics and shit. The LGBT groups just want to avoid being harassed. These two things aren't even REMOTELY similar.

My gender and sexuality aren't political positions. And seeking out others who will respect that isn't politicking, it's self-care.
    Also this. The LGBT groups are also generally open to everyone. That's why they're typically marketed as "LGBT and Friends" groups. It's basically just a space away from the homophobic and transphobic comments and memes that are considered acceptable in many parts of the gaming community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    A lot of the right wing groups use Patriot in their names since a lot of their propaganda is that only right wingers are actual patriots. You support Trump or you're a traitor.
    Ah right, the old snowflake kneejerk to political disagreement. 'You disagree with me, you hate 'murica!!!!'

In before this thread is locked ...

I am surprised and disappointed at how many people on the left advocate repressing free speech. It is not progressive, it's very regressive. The immense dangers to the whole of society when specific groups are silenced far outweigh the perceived short-term benefits. Plus, it just feeds the narrative that drives their movement anyway.

I say this as someone who has taken every opportunity to vote against Trump. Free speech is precious and when we lose that we don't really have much left.

Deleted

I am surprised and disappointed at how many people on the left advocate repressing free speech. It is not progressive, it's very regressive. The immense dangers to the whole of society when specific groups are silenced far outweigh the perceived short-term benefits. Plus, it just feeds the narrative that drives their movement anyway.

I say this as someone who has taken every opportunity to vote against Trump. Free speech is precious and when we lose that we don't really have much left.
    People on the left are saying the OP should be put in prison for suggesting this? Where?

Do you have specific examples of people contradicting the 1st amendment in this thread? Also, does the fact that the person they support opposes the 1st amendment not nuance the situation?

What's your opinion on the fact that Blizzard bans people for having certain opinions, such as racism and homophobia? Is that a limitation of free speech?
    Last edited by mmoc312b193294; 2018-08-06 at 07:07 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Community Name: American Patriots - brand New.

Description: A group of right wing/ Trump supporting/ #Walkaway group of patriots dedicated to restoring this great nation to the principles in which America was founded.

Horde Link: https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invi...&faction=Horde

Extra Information: Everyone is welcome, however any member who displays hatred toward the 45th President will be removed. This community is pro-USA, pro-Trump, pro-2nd Amendment, pro-ICE, and ultimately--pro-American. If you are not interested/or are against any of these principles, I urge you not to join.

Thank you
    Sorry Son, but the second you made the Idol of focus for your "Community" a draft dodger who is anti-veteran and pro-russian you lost all credibility for the use of the name "Patriots". I'm sure the Guild name "American Guillibles" or "American Dimwits" is available though and both fit the profile for your "Community" but an "American Patriot" would be someone who idolized someone who put his life on the line for his/her Country not someone who avoided the draft claiming a bonespur and was playing School Baseball the next day!
    If you are going to say that the majority of players think the same as you at least qualify that too mean the other kids who take the same shortbus as you!

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post

You remember what happened last time we let the Nazis talk?
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

No one is saying they should be jailed but these types of communities tend to be pretty toxic cesspools. Joined a few that were popping up on the official boards for recruitment out of morbid curiosity. Within 20 minutes in each it was like Reddit's T_D and Redpill subs. Discussion bout Robert Mueller and Hillary Clinton needing to be assassinated, one sub that was talking about "faggots" should have their heads caved in, or the best one was joining into a community that was already in the process of having a rape advocacy discussion.

They cite the LGBT communities as reason to have these and to compare themselves to but those tend to be homophobia/transphobia free zones more than needing to be LGBT. On the other hand, these "patriot" channels are already showing to be as vile as their sub reddits. There's a big difference between a community wanting a place away from harassment to just game and one that calls for death to political opponents and violence against women and minorities.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2018-08-06 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Op wants to "make america great again" then chooses the faction with the highest multiculturalism and dark skinned savage races. Not to mention the fact its filled with illegal immigrants like the orcs.

I hope @r3gul8r is just trying to get to "patriots" to see diversity can be a good thing.
    Last edited by frogger237; 2018-08-06 at 07:18 PM.

I'm saying people shouldn't be silenced and you people are talking about jail? This is exactly what I'm talking about. The people who think it's ok to silence people as long they are not jailed do not, in my opinion, understand or truly value free speech. It is a very regressive mentality.

Also, I have to say, my biggest pest peeve in the world is when people try to compare a group of people to Nazis in such a flippant way. All you do is diminish the true horror of what happened and the depths of utter depravity to which mankind can sink. Now there are some people in the present day who are evil and hateful, but when such is the case you don't need to compare them to Nazis, you can simply describe what they are and what they stand for and rational people will reject them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeina View Post
    You remember what happened last time we let the Nazis talk?
    By all means ... point me to the group of people advocating the genocide of the Jewish people and the enslavement of the entire European continent and I will put my full efforts behind defeating them.

Deleted
    I'm saying people shouldn't be silenced and you people are talking about jail? This is exactly what I'm talking about. The people who think it's ok to silence people as long they are not jailed do not, in my opinion, understand or truly value free speech. It is a very regressive mentality.

Also, I have to say, my biggest pest peeve in the world is when people try to compare a group of people to Nazis in such a flippant way. All you do is diminish the true horror of what happened and the depths of utter depravity to which mankind can sink. Now there are some people in the present day who are evil and hateful, but when such is the case you don't need to compare them to Nazis, you can simply describe what they are and what they stand for and rational people will reject them.
    That's literally what the 1st amendment is though. No-one is contradicting the right to free speech in this thread, which you're accusing them of. Saying someone shouldn't make a politically-charged guild designed to sew discord (clear, going by it its title) in a video game isn't limiting free speech, it's expressing opinion. They aren't actually limiting shit, this OP could go and make this guild right now. No freedom has been taken away.

Can you quote someone who actually silenced the OP and took his freedom of speech away? One person?

I'm also interested, philosophically, in trying to understand your definition of free speech better: do you think Blizzard violates free speech when they ban racists for having differing and controversial opinions? Less extremely, if there was a blue post in a racist thread saying that they'd prefer it that people didn't say those things, does that limit free speech?
    Last edited by mmoc312b193294; 2018-08-06 at 07:29 PM.

That's literally what the 1st amendment is though. No-one is contradicting the right to free speech in this thread, which you're accusing them of. Saying someone shouldn't make a politically-charged guild designed to sew discord with its title in a video game isn't limiting free speech, it's expressing opinion. They aren't actually limiting shit, this OP could go and make this guild right now. No freedom has been taken away.

I'm interested, philosophically, in trying to understand your definition of free speech better: do you think Blizzard violates free speech when they ban racists for having differing and controversial opinions? If there was a blue post in a racist thread saying that they'd prefer it that people didn't say those things, does that limit free speech?
    Really doesn't matter as Blizzard is a private company. They could ban the use of the letter "T" in all guild names, character names, etc if they wanted too. Could also ban anything to do with guns and let hunter use radios instead ala ET. Still not the same thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Really doesn't matter as Blizzard is a private company. They could ban the use of the letter "T" in all guild names, character names, etc if they wanted too. Could also ban anything to do with guns and let hunter use radios instead ala ET. Still not the same thing.
    So banning people for differing opinions such as racism in a video game isn't anti free speech? Glad we agree.

When you say 'still not the same thing' - the same as what? Surely banning differing and controversial opinions is more extreme than saying on a forum post that in their opinion this guild is a bad idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck is this still in the BfA section? Put it in the communities section. Come on mods, I asked about this last night.

- - - Updated - - -

That's literally what the 1st amendment is though.
    Oh fucking hell... the 1st applies to the government, no one else.

UPDATE: Thank you mods for moving this.
    Last edited by clevin; 2018-08-06 at 07:38 PM.

That's literally what the 1st amendment is though. No-one is contradicting the right to free speech in this thread, which you're accusing them of. Saying someone shouldn't make a politically-charged guild designed to sew discord (clear, going by it its title) in a video game isn't limiting free speech, it's expressing opinion. They aren't actually limiting shit, this OP could go and make this guild right now. No freedom has been taken away.
    Interesting, so you think that the only application of free speech is in the First Amendment? Because I would disagree. I think the principals of free speech apply to all of us in how we go about our lives in the world. For example, if hard right people were able to put enough commercial pressure on an entity (like a TV station or newspaper) to keep them from having a more favorable presentation of leftist, I would say that is a suppression of free speech. Personally, I would rather engage with people I disagree with than shut them up. Shutting them up has zero chance of impacting their position whereas engaging with them offers some possibility of hope.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Why the fuck is this still in the BfA section? Put it in the communities section. Come on mods, I asked about this last night.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh fucking hell... the 1st applies to the government, no one else.
    Exactly. Completely agree. That was my point.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, so you think that the only application of free speech is in the First Amendment? Because I would disagree. I think the principals of free speech apply to all of us in how we go about our lives in the world. For example, if hard right people were able to put enough commercial pressure on an entity (like a TV station or newspaper) to keep them from having a more favorable presentation of leftist, I would say that is a suppression of free speech. Personally, I would rather engage with people I disagree with than shut them up. Shutting them up has zero chance of impacting their position whereas engaging with them offers some possibility of hope.
    So you mean a vaguer more theoretical free speech rather than it's actual meaning under the law? Fair enough, we were at cross purposes, my apologies. I still would like to know your actual definition though. Are the people here who disagree with the OP removing his free speech? Are Blizzard removing the free speech of racists when they ban them?

>Personally, I would rather engage with people I disagree with than shut them up. Shutting them up has zero chance of impacting their position whereas engaging with
    them offers some possibility of hope.

Me too. Who in this thread has prevented the OP from expressing his opinion? Can I have just one example?

I'm also a little perplexed as to why you have commented criticising the people responding to this thread vis a vis free speech but not the OP who is trying to make an echo-chamber political guild. Is the OP not at least equally guilty, if not more so for trying to do something about it, whereas commenters in this thread have done nothing? Why refrain from pointing out that the OP is limiting free speech, under your apparent definition?
    Last edited by mmoc312b193294; 2018-08-06 at 07:49 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

By all means ... point me to the group of people advocating the genocide of the Jewish people and the enslavement of the entire European continent and I will put my full efforts behind defeating them.
    They didn't start with genocide and imperialism.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd