Thread: Prot in bfa

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    maybe it will be a little bit better once we get more gear and more haste.

Pressing IP right now feels like I've done something wrong. LOL. Because I did no dps for 1 GCD, the bubble only blocks half of dmg, I still get chunked by the other half.

For lvling at least, I'll just forget about IP and kill the mob faster and heal up with victory rush. IP is hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirie View Post
    I just feel like it'd solve most of the issues if they baked Revenge and IP into one button so it was basically absorb-shield soul cleave.
    I'd definitely like to see *some* kind of damage component to Ignore Pain (which they can then rename to something else, as far as I'm concerned). It might be too powerful if it's a direct damage->absorb conversion, since it would be very powerful against multiple targets and not at all powerful against a single target, but there are things they could do to rectify this as well.

It might be too powerful if it's a direct damage->absorb conversion, since it would be very powerful against multiple targets and not at all powerful against a single target,
    Not hard at all. Main target takes X damage, cleaves for Y damage on Z numbers of mobs. That or something similar would work fine. I'm honestly unsure as to why this isn't used more often to control/balance damage numbers.

can anyone give me the TLDR on how block works now. We have a block stat on shields but still block for a % of dmg?

nope. warrior tanks are diff top 3. they have the best survivability. and dmg also alot of aoe.

if people say a class is bad its because they suck. or doesn't know how to play their class.

- - - Updated - - -

same way as before nearly. but now u got block % aswel that defines the amount of dmg u take after a block. and i believe its scaled by str and block %

Quote Originally Posted by simonlvschal View Post
    if people say a class is bad its because they suck. or doesn't know how to play their class.
    Hey look, a dude who can't tell the difference between "it works" and "it's fun to play".

They could literally take every skill away from the warrior class except a no-cooldown Thunderclap that does 500% of its current damage, and then give warriors 99% armor mitigation. They would be far and away the most powerful tank class in the game, but they would be boring as fuck and the game would basically be ruined for everybody.

I imagine you'd still be telling everybody to L2P.

Deleted
    Prot is kinda boring right now. Hope it'll speed up the more haste I get. I had like 40%+ haste at the end of Legion, that was fun.

But seriously... I hope Blizzard takes Ignore Pain off the GCD because this shit is annoying the crap out of me. I don't care if the rest is on the GCD, but this needs to change. It was annoying to keep Ignore Pain up in my mythic dungeons. Rage gain is also slow, and with Ignore Pain/Shield Block being so expensive, a lot of times I am waiting 1 GCD just to pop one of these.

you really shouldn't talk when it's obvious you dont know how to play the game. and it seems like you think you know everything. but you dont. warriors are great atm. top dps in dungeons as a tank. with obvious tank gear. and top threat. against other tanks, druids,dk,monk etc.

it's fine you're bad. but that doesn't mean the other 99% is

- - - Updated - - -

lol. your one of those who think we should have max gear at a expansion launch LOL.

dude. theres a reason why u have the Trait at lvl 20 the one that gives 3% haste per ally or enemy up to 5. that alone is a nice boost. and once you have max mythic gear u are prob getting aroudn 30-40% without the trait.

I do dungeons as prot, because q times. The only thing bugs me, rage starving.

I am a lurker but I felt inclined to respond to this.

While IP being on the GCD can feel clunky if you are using it wrong I find that it actually feels much much smoother if you use it instead of devastate in the rotation.

If you read the icy-veins guide it has it in a lot more detail, essentially IP being on the GCD makes it less of an "Oh Shit" button and more of a constant damage smoothing tool.

If you are running out of rage you must be doing something wrong, running with Anger Management and booming voice you can use Demoralizing Shout at a crazy rate and it generates 40 rage, that plus all the rage taken from damage/hitting things and you should be literally drowning in it.

Not to mention throwing down Avatar whenever it's off CD for the increase in damage paired again with anger management means avatar is up pretty often.

As stated above into the fray helps with the GCD smoothing, if you aren't nearly constantly at full stacks of this you are doing something wrong, it's basically free 15% haste.

If you need help a basic engage should be Intercept > Avatar > Demoralizing shout > Shield Block > Shield Slam then you want to user Thunder Clap and Shield slam when they come off CD, revenge only if it's free or you don't need to dump rage into IP. Spam devastate when you have nothing else to press, use the devastate times to also drop an IP, it doesn't stack like it used to so you don't need to be trying to get mega shields out of it. Then Demoralizing shout and Avatar on cooldown.

We are a proactive tank not a reactive tank, use your cooldowns more liberally, with bolster Last stand acts as an 8 second shield block with a bonus health pool, use it in between Shield Block charges for example.

Feel free to flame me or hurl abuse, but I guarantee that if you try to play it as outlined above or in the icy-veins guide, you'll find it much easier/ more efficient and probably more fun
    Last edited by Biccuito; 2018-08-17 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks a lot sir. Will follow ur tips and see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Useful View Post
    Thanks a lot sir. Will follow ur tips and see how it goes...
    Just for the record my post was aimed at the salt higher above, not you specifically which is why it probably sounds quite harsh

However the tips should help anyway

Also i failed to mention if you are tanking you should basically have some form of shield block up, even if it's throwing down a shield wall.

As i said, we are proactive not reactive.
    Last edited by Biccuito; 2018-08-17 at 11:10 AM.

Well i raided as bear and prot in legion so may i say i have some expirience. For now warrior tanking seems not as smooth as before. Feels great in world questing though!

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Prot is kinda boring right now. Hope it'll speed up the more haste I get. I had like 40%+ haste at the end of Legion, that was fun.

But seriously... I hope Blizzard takes Ignore Pain off the GCD because this shit is annoying the crap out of me. I don't care if the rest is on the GCD, but this needs to change. It was annoying to keep Ignore Pain up in my mythic dungeons. Rage gain is also slow, and with Ignore Pain/Shield Block being so expensive, a lot of times I am waiting 1 GCD just to pop one of these.
    I hope they don't. I like how the mechanics are working with IP on the GCD.
    Created on the 25th April 2005.
    Protection Warrior since the old days of UBRS.

P.S. Make a part of your warrior community happy and bring Gladiator Stance back...

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH only change I would like to see is IP off GCD also.... Devastate I hardly press the thing nowadays cause i tend to use IP or revenge instead.
    And ofc NEED MOAR HASTE heh
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

I agree about just treating IP as part of the rotation makes it less tilting to play.

The spell priority I'm doing right now for dungeons is:
    1. Shield Slam
    2. Thunderclap
    3. Is IP running? If not, IP
    4. If IP is timing out or low? IP
    5. If IP is running and big, Revenge if its tree
    6. If IP is running and big, Devastate if Revenge is not free
    Last edited by Kirbypro; 2018-08-17 at 08:19 PM.

Class feels like a bag of assholes to me. Works fine in heroic Dungeons when mobs don't really hurt but in Mythic your IP falls of as fast as u can use it. IP on the GCD still doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbypro View Post
    I agree about just treating IP as part of the rotation makes it less tilting to play.
    Should a rotational ability cost rage?
    If its a rotational ability, what is the purpose of Devastate?
    If its a rotational ability, should it be able to proc Shield Slams?

I think defensive abilities on the GCD is stupid to begin with. It doesn't help that Blizz wasn't sure what it wanted with a secondary defensive rage spender for Prot. I get an impression that the part of the dev team that added the GCD to certain abilities didn't get the message that Devastator isn't baseline for Prot.

Also your spell priority doesn't have Shield Slam in it.

Its not active mitigation, its dmg smoothing.

A 25k IP being blown away instantly just means you prevented 25k dmg, thus smoothing dmg for healers.

On the other hand, single target dps seems to be in the dumpster, which is no bueno.

@Ivanstone, I agree it should be off the GCD, I also think prot AM should be reverted to MoP. i'm just pointing out a change it mindset that can help you cope and rage less.

I meant shield slam instead of shield block, edited.
    Last edited by Kirbypro; 2018-08-17 at 08:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Class feels like a bag of assholes to me. Works fine in heroic Dungeons when mobs don't really hurt but in Mythic your IP falls of as fast as u can use it. IP on the GCD still doesn't make sense.
    This. Might also be due to lack of haste, but I can't use Revenge most of the time since I need to conserve my rage for IP. All I'm doing is Shield Slam and Thunderclap. And a lot of times I am waiting a GCD because I have nothing to press (I have to choose to ignore Revenge to save my rage).

Cleared a few mythics now, it's really hard since we're all undergeared (I did my first mythic at 295 or so) but I need to be able to use IP whenever I feel like it, and not when waiting a GCD. Been playing Prot Warrior since classic, but this just feels wrong to me.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2018-08-17 at 08:24 PM.