Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Not watching either video but if you think Gervais is funny outside of his work with Stephen Merchant I think it's safe to say you're not a great judge of comedy.
    Your judgement on comedy is more worthy than the OP's based on your opinion? haha, ok then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    Indeed, so many men labeled comedians aren't even close to being funny. But I have to admit, I can't remember laughing cause of something a woman said though. Not saying they can't be funny, just haven't come cross any yet.
    Seen a few female comedians, they are nowhere near the standard of good male comedians but they are getting better over time. Personally I couldn't care less if the comedian is male or female, I just find females over talk the jokes and too many go down the line of 'look how funny I am, making a joke about how I shouldn't be funny because I'm female'... gets boring quick.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I seriously tried to mentally count all the funny women (excluding comedians) i've met in my whole life, could remember only 2.

Maybe i just have a sad life.
    nah that's about right. my lady coworker will say some funny stuff naturally from time to time, but when she is actually trying to be funny she isn't

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Not watching either video but if you think Gervais is funny outside of his work with Stephen Merchant I think it's safe to say you're not a great judge of comedy.
    He is the bomb. Dont be a jelly Nelly

15+ Year Old Account
    Clip in OP was pretty lame, no laughs from me atleast.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You can't change it, the fact is that men give as much shit as they take in comedy. Women aren't less funny, they just tend to play it safe with their jokes. Comedy as a whole is a bloody joke because no one these days wants to be edgy. Even dead guys like Richard Prior and George Carlin, the titans of standup comedy, are funnier dead than most modern comedians. Why do you think guys like Seinfeld, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have pretty much canned their standup careers? Because in order to be funny, and to stay popular, you have to be edgy and willing to make people question their own morality in what they find funny. Comedians like Carlin and Prior did that, very few comedians do that these days. The few comedians who do that, don't even do it that often. Anthony Jeselnik is one of those guys, and even Jeff Dunham has had moments where his jokes made you question your own morality, because the jokes target something or someone. Comedy has gone to shit because no one has the stones to offend people or make you question whether you should be laughing at the joke.
    Except 95% of all good jokes one hears isn't risky, it's just fun. I don't buy it one bit that women are "playing it safe", especially seeing as that argument makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Modern women aren't as funny, deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I truly think women are not funny, not because they're women, but because they're not funny. I have not seen a good female comedian. They're always far below men. Maybe they exist, but I have never seen one.
    Pretty much how I feel, I also cannot stand Female Singers. Basically any song a woman sings sounds 100% better when a good Male singer sings them.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Except 95% of all good jokes one hears isn't risky, it's just fun. I don't buy it one bit that women are "playing it safe", especially seeing as that argument makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

Modern women aren't as funny, deal with it.
    Most jokes by female comedians are far less relatable than jokes by men. Maybe it's because comedians tend to write jokes about their own lives, and maybe that's why we don't find female comedians funny.

There are plenty of funny women out there, but this one in particular doesn't seem like one judging from those painful four minutes.

7+ Year Old Account
    “I make comedy for women like me, in their 20s and looking for fun, and the response to the show has been amazing. I think a lot of women were going: ‘yeah, that’s me’.

So yeah, any men watching that probably had a poker face throughout her performance, and when the cameras swapped to the audiences reaction, the men were not even reacting except for one dude who smiled very awkwardly. I think thats the main reason why women may be considered inferior when it comes to comedy, because a lot of the time, they focus on a female audience rather than a general audience.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    No one said women can't be funny. What many say is that women who aren't funny often get way more chances to be unfunny than they deserve.

Case in point: ghostbusters.
    Women would have been fine. Those particular women were horrendous and hid behind their gender when they got called out on it.
    No, the fact that they spat on the Origional lore made it shit, they should have continued in the Origional Universe and had them introduced as replacements for a new supernatural event that had begun. I think all of them could have worked if they had good scripts.

I believe the OP is referring to this when they talk about the myth of women not being funny. Hitchens does make some good points though..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Most jokes by female comedians are far less relatable than jokes by men. Maybe it's because comedians tend to write jokes about their own lives, and maybe that's why we don't find female comedians funny.
    Who are 'We' in this context? Men? The QI study included women's perception of other female comedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Who are 'We' in this context? Men? The QI study included women's perception of other female comedies.
    Do you mean that women too don't like to hear vagina and periods jokes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Do you mean that women too don't like to hear vagina and periods jokes?
    I don't know what women find funny, but I can't imagine it being to different from men in most situations.

Deleted
    Of course women can be funny. Haven't seen any women comedian video though, which I would have found funny, but I have met funny women IRL.