Poll: Pet spec & abilities system:

10+ Year Old Account

Pet families, their specs, and their abilities.

I'm pretty sure most people have a certain theme when it comes to their race/class/transmog combination, even their spec, i'd say.

Am i the only one annoyed by the predetermined spec (thus passive skills) of each pet family?
    As well as the strength of certain family special abilities?

Wouldn't you prefer if specs and skills were something that you taught your pet, regardless of your pet's family?
    I think each player's personal "class fantasy" is important, and choice of pets should be nothing more than "skins".

Maybe i like wolves, but i want the speed buff of cunning.
    Or maybe i want to bring my boar, instead of being forced to pick a spirit beast in dungeons.
    And so on.

Besides, what is the reasoning and the advantage of having fixed specs for each family?
    and also having some abilities be that powerful?

What do you think?

You like being forced to pick a certain pet?
    Do you think pets should be just "skins" and spec/skills be your choice?
    Something in between maybe?
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-08-29 at 03:21 AM.

I like the way it is now. All pets do the same dps and can tank, and spec and special abilities are just utility. For solo/easier content you can play with whatever you want and in more challdnging content you might want to look for something specific.

Deleted
    I also like how they changed the way pets work. Pretty straightforward way of managing your stable. I use a spider for BL (only if required), a waterstrider for the waterwalking buff and my main raid/MM(+) pet is a spectral goose because of the 5% extra life, the HoT spell and the very importan "cleanse" spell which removes a rage/magical effect. Extremely useful in mythics and even more useful when mythic+ goes live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    I like the way it is now. All pets do the same dps and can tank, and spec and special abilities are just utility. For solo/easier content you can play with whatever you want and in more challdnging content you might want to look for something specific.
    yes, the damage being the same is really nice.
    but i'm not arguing about that.

what i'm saying is, do you find a use for hunters being forced to pick a certain family?
    or would you preffer they used the pet they actually liked?

sure, some players use whichever pet they like, even if it is not the best spec or family for the task.
    but they are limiting themselves. so being able to choose those would only be positive.
    i cant understand why anyone would be against choice, when it would provide zero benefit against others, in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiszza View Post
    I also like how they changed the way pets work. Pretty straightforward way of managing your stable. I use a spider for BL (only if required), a waterstrider for the waterwalking buff and my main raid/MM(+) pet is a spectral goose because of the 5% extra life, the HoT spell and the very importan "cleanse" spell which removes a rage/magical effect. Extremely useful in mythics and even more useful when mythic+ goes live.

is no one reading the post, or even the other poll options?

practicality. yes i agree. no one is taking that away from you.
    what i'm suggesting is that you can use whichever pet skin you like.
    while also choosing the spec or abilities that you like.

there is no gameplay benefit or gimping, in my suggestion.
    only an option for the looks. everything else stays the same.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-08-29 at 11:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how the mechanics of the new pet system works, but the devs have screwed the pooch a little when it comes the the aesthetics. The previous system worked well because your pet could a Ferocity, Tenacity, or Cunning depending on what your bag was, but it could be any pet, from the unique Loque'nahak, to a Porcupine. It allowed to pick your jive. The new system has seriously reduced cosmetic choice, and cosmetic choice was the whole point in normalising tamed pets from the way it originally was with some being stronger/better than others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    is no one reading the post, or even the other poll options?
    Yeah you might be right there, so to achieve the expected answer: Choose spec and special abilities. (Pick your favorite looking pet without being punished)

Most obviously..

I like the specs but I don't like the special abilities that much. Needs more options like some of the unique abilities that pets had pre-wod like the bat stun or the rhino toss.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post

You like being forced to pick a certain pet?
    Do you think pets should be just "skins" and spec/skills be your choice?
    Something in between maybe?

The changes to pets are horrible. I am stuck with a spirit beast and I hate every skin. Every &*(^*(&%*( skin doesn't match my theme but there too OP not to use. Purge/heal/defensive CD ...nothing compares.

I miss my Treble. %^&%( the game designer that came up with this.

I want pick the "spec" and no abilities at all. None. Zero. I dont want hero, brez or anything else. Build that into the spec if you want to give it to hunters not the pets. The pets should just be pure visual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    When was the last time you played? Cause everything you liked was there before BFA. BFA added limits. Something specific? Its spirirt beast or gtfo. That heal is op, purge is amazing and a defensive CD. Nothing beats it.

Wouldve liked if theyd add the option to change the pets spec.. i want a ferocity pterrodax/raptor haha. Theyre alright how they are. Ive learned to settle with my scalehide. I like how we can change based on scenario lile ferocity for world, cunning for pvp and tenacity for raids/dungeons

I feel bad if I don't use a clefthoof while questing, the passive shield that procs saved it many times and the additional armor and healing taken it has is good. Same for other purposes, some pet families are more useful which is a negative thing in my opinion when there are many many good looking different beasts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    I am stuck with a spirit. Every skin doesn't match my theme but there too OP not to use.

I want pick the "spec" and no abilities at all. None. Zero. I dont want hero, brez or anything else. Build that into the spec if you want to give it to hunters not the pets. The pets should just be pure visual.
    Couldnt agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsohta View Post
    I feel bad if I don't use a clefthoof while questing, the passive shield that procs saved it many times and the additional armor and healing taken it has is good. Same for other purposes, some pet families are more useful which is a negative thing in my opinion when there are many many good looking different beasts
    Exactly!

I dont understand what the reasoning behind this is.
    They limit us, but for no real gain. Since everyone will just pick the best pet, and just feel bad about not playing with the the skin he likes.
    And so many skins go unseen/unused.

I'm fine with certain abilities being tied to certain specs- it's logical and it makes sense. And I really like that all specs do the same damage now, and have the same health/armor. But if their goal was to increase the variety of viable pets, I feel like they missed the mark. Yes, all Tenacity pets are good for dungeons, but only Spirit Beasts are the best for dungeons, and therefore they are the only ones most people will use. Yes all Ferocity pets are good for open-world questing, but only Clefthooves are the best at it, as they are the tankiest with having leech as well as two defensive passives. I feel locked into using only 3 pets again and I don't enjoy it. I loved the freedom in Legion to spec any of my pets as whatever was needed for the task at hand. Limiting freedom is never fun, especially in a class that has historically exemplified freedom of choice.
    /Catchphrase!

So you want all pets to be able to have the same abilities? How boring and retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    So you want all pets to be able to have the same abilities? How boring and retarded.
    so, seeing a variety of pets everywhere, and being able to customize them yourself.. is "boring".
    but seeing only spirit beasts and clefthooves everywhere, and using just those yourself, is not.
    ok.

but that's just one suggestion.

another solution would be to remove all special abilities like waterwalking, spiritmending, etc.
    and just have spec-abilities. which of course any pet could learn since you would be able to spec your pets as you wish.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-09-01 at 03:56 AM.