Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Sony CEO: No Fortnite crossplay because other consoles give inferior experiences

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8516081.html

Sony won't allow Fortnite players on PlayStation to play against their friends with other consoles – because those people are having inferior experiences.

The company might allow people to take part in cross-platform play on other titles, said the company's boss. But Fortnite on PlayStation will not get that privilege, he said.

And that's because the best experience is to play on PlayStation, he said. So allowing other people to play would be a compromise.

The technology giant caused controversy earlier this year when the battle royale game launched on the Nintendo Switch, but existing PlayStation players discovered they could not move change platforms on the same account - despite Xbox and PC players being able to do so.

In spite vocal protests from gamers in response, Sony has not yet changed its policy.

Speaking at the IFA technology show in Berlin, Sony chief executive Kenichiro Yoshida said he felt playing on the PlayStation 4 was the best experience for gamers and therefore should not be compromised.

"On cross-platform, our way of thinking is always that PlayStation is the best place to play. Fortnite, I believe, partnered with PlayStation 4 is the best experience for users, that's our belief," he said.

"But actually, we already opened some games as cross-platform with PC and some others, so we decide based on what is the best user experience. That is our way of thinking for cross-platform."

Fortnite has amassed more than 125 million players since the launch of its battle royale mode last year, with many choosing to play on mobile devices such as their phone or tablet.

Mr Yoshida said Sony was aware of the increasing importance of mobile gaming, adding the company needed a "growth strategy including mobile".

He added he welcomed the competition from other platforms as well as traditional gaming rivals.

"I think competition is always good. Healthy, fair competition is always good for the industry and growth," he said.

"I think competition with Nintendo and Xbox is a healthy situation."

10+ Year Old Account
    What's that I smell? *sniff sniff* Oh wait, I recognize that smell! It's a giant pile of bullshit!

Well he's not wrong in a way.

Fortnite on Switch for example is 30 FPS. So from a pure performance standpoint yes he is correct.

However the rest of it is pure bullshit. He's talking out of his arse about PS being "the best place to be" among the other stuff. And if anything that attitude will absolutely hurt them next gen.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-09-01 at 02:24 AM.

I never got into it, but it's a game for adolescents.

Any gameplay is as good as any, on any platform.

But what Sony wanted to say was that we don't want to lose customers who subscribe to our PS Network. Even if the network is shady, we want as many people as possible to use it, so we'll criticize other platforms freely, to achieve our goals.

I mean, I can't argue with the sentiment that this is just opening the door wide for competition. If they carry on with dumb decisions like this they'll be handing Microsoft and Nintendo a really easy marketing strategy to one-up them with next generation.

Hes not wrong, Look at each game Playstation does Cross-Play with and you can see they make the performance as equal as possable.

Hell FFXIV runs at 60FPS on PS4.

That's why at lease this gen I honestly could care less if there is cross-play or not. The performance difference between a PS4 and Switch or PS4 and Xbox is too much of a gap to be fair play. Also when it comes to FPS titles Console shouldn't Cross-Play with PC at all since KB&M has a clear advantage over controller. Get performance to be more equal at lease with PS4 and Xbox and we can work on Cross-Play from there on.

Performance shouldn't be a issue next gen and therefore Sony can't use that excuse anymore then.

Want to see how much of a advantage PC has over Console in FPS/3rdPS games just play Gears of War 4. All modes as of early last year has 100% Cross-Play.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Why should they care if the other consoles are inferior? If anything, that favors their own console. "Buy Playstation, you'll win more games!"

Like, I know this is just spin because they can't come out and say that they want to keep playerbases segmented because their segment is the biggest, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Hes not wrong, Look at each game Playstation does Cross-Play with and you can see they make the performance as equal as possable.

Hell FFXIV runs at 60FPS on PS4.

That's why at lease this gen I honestly could care less if there is cross-play or not. The performance difference between a PS4 and Switch or PS4 and Xbox is too much of a gap to be fair play. Also when it comes to FPS titles Console shouldn't Cross-Play with PC at all since KB&M has a clear advantage over controller. Get performance to be more equal at lease with PS4 and Xbox and we can work on Cross-Play from there on.

Performance shouldn't be a issue next gen and therefore Sony can't use that excuse anymore then.

Want to see how much of a advantage PC has over Console in FPS/3rdPS games just play Gears of War 4. All modes as of early last year has 100% Cross-Play.
    People with Switch have slower network connections? lost me there.

Or did you imply that a more powerful machine compensates for someone elses skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    People with Switch have slower network connections? lost me there.

Or did you imply that a more powerful machine compensates for someone elses skill.
    Actually the wireless in the Switch is shit and its connection speed is slower then a wired PS4/XBOX.

People with a more powerful machine has better performance, Therefore they have a advantage over people with a weaker machine (Switch).

What I said isn't hard to understand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Why should they care if the other consoles are inferior? If anything, that favors their own console. "Buy Playstation, you'll win more games!"

Like, I know this is just spin because they can't come out and say that they want to keep playerbases segmented because their segment is the biggest, but still.
    Depending what they are matched against they are ether inferior (base Ps4 Vs X or PC) or better (Vs Base Xbox or Switch). So performance is a legit reason to not want to do Cross-Play. Each game they do it with has dam near if not outright equal performance on all platforms.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    segmented because their segment is the biggest, but still.
    Being the biggest could also qualify it is the best to some line of thinking no?

What does Sony really stand to gain from doing cross play with Xbox One? Almost nothing compared to what MS gains by them doing so. So why should they play ball when MS pulled the same card on them last gen? MS uses an equally terrible excuse "their servers are worse" when for no 3rd party game is using YOUR servers in the first place lol.

Reminder, MS isn't anybodies friend either and had no interest in cross play until they saw their player base get dwarfed by the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Being the biggest could also qualify it is the best to some line of thinking no?

What does Sony really stand to gain from doing cross play with Xbox One? Almost nothing compared to what MS gains by them doing so. So why should they play ball when MS pulled the same card on them last gen? MS uses an equally terrible excuse "their servers are worse" when for no 3rd party game is using YOUR servers in the first place lol.

Reminder, MS isn't anybodies friend either and had no interest in cross play until they saw their player base get dwarfed by the competition.
    Don't remind people about that because it was soooooooo long ago and it doesn't matter anymore bro. Sony should totes play ball since it's the "right thing to do."

Other cars don't have the performance of my Ferrari, so they shouldn't be allowed to drive on the same roads I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Other cars don't have the performance of my Ferrari, so they shouldn't be allowed to drive on the same roads I do.
    That is a poor analogy seeing how roads have speed limits.

60FPS/1080p is a clear advantage over barely 30fps/340p.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    That is a poor analogy seeing how roads have speed limits.

60FPS/1080p is a clear advantage over barely 30fps/340p.
    Speed is not the only factory in "performance".
    Not all roads have speed limits either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Even diehard playstation fanboys admit they PSN has long been shoddy. It may have improved now, but during PS3/Xbox 360 it was a pretty large gap.

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    Speed is not the only factory in "performance".
    Not all roads have speed limits either.
    Don't know about your country but in the US they do.

Like I said a console doing 60FPS/1080p will have a advantage over the Switch that barely does 30fps at 340p. A PC using KB&M will have a advantage over controller in a 3rd person shooter.

This isn't a opinion its fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Well he's not wrong in a way.

Fortnite on Switch for example is 30 FPS. So from a pure performance standpoint yes he is correct.

However the rest of it is pure bullshit. He's talking out of his arse about PS being "the best place to be" among the other stuff. And if anything that attitude will absolutely hurt them next gen.
    pc will always dominate a console that is 5 years old. from a performance standpoint he is sure not correct

I have a 1080ti so anyone with less shouldn't be allowed to play.

Quote Originally Posted by einaschern View Post
    Even diehard playstation fanboys admit they PSN has long been shoddy. It may have improved now, but during PS3/Xbox 360 it was a pretty large gap.
    Good thing we are not in the PS3/360 era and for the most part even then it was the same (When it came to connection's) and PS3 actually had a faster download speed.

Now 360 did have other things that was outright better like party chat.

Seeing how unless your playing a first party title you are using 3rd party servers. Call of Duty (for example) was no different on PS3 then it was on 360.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hynx View Post
    pc will always dominate a console that is 5 years old. from a performance standpoint he is sure not correct
    He factually is correct seeing how we have benchmarks showing the performance of Fortnite on all platforms.

PC isn't the only system we are talking about here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    I have a 1080ti so anyone with less shouldn't be allowed to play.
    ...... Thanks for showing you don't know how hardware works.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I mean, I can't argue with the sentiment that this is just opening the door wide for competition. If they carry on with dumb decisions like this they'll be handing Microsoft and Nintendo a really easy marketing strategy to one-up them with next generation.
    Well Nintendo really isn't competition as they have their niche games basically that no one else has. As far as different consoles working together? It's never going to happen. There's too much behind the scenes to agree upon from a logistics and networking standpoint that the two companies would never compromise.

So in the public eye they make the statement about a lesser gaming experience in order to promote their console. It's always been this way though especially with exclusive games.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222