Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anything goes in the multiverse, a melanin-enriched Kryptonian doesn't seem so far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Wut?
    The only one that could be potentially called unpopular would be Ant-Man.
    The others are some of the most well-known and popular heroes or anti-heroes known to the comic book world.
    Even among comic book fans, you're telling me in 2008 Iron Man was as popular as Batman or Spider-man? C'mon man.

And I'm talking about general audiences too by the way. Iron man in 2008 was definitely not as popular as the X-Men or Superman when the first MCU movie debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How the FUCK do you not get a different story if he is no longer Clark Kent or from Kansas?

Do you know anything about Superman? Change shit like that and you may as well be making a movie about a different character.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/calvin-ellis/4005-88508/

Wut?
    The others are some of the most well-known and popular heroes or anti-heroes known to the comic book world.
    They were not A - Tier super hereos when it came to phase 1 Marvel. Marvel's A - Tier was X-Men, Spiderman, All of those that were sold off to the bigger studios like Fox and Sony.

Iron Man, Thor, Cap. Were not their biggest stars. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Semihagez View Post
    I heard that Marvel and DC have an agreement that they do not want same actor get casted in both of their series. Since Jordan is already Killmonger, I don't think he'll be superman. Fantastic Four is a bit different because that series never took off.
    Not true, even within their own universes they have overlaps like Josh Brolin as both Cable and Thanos, Or Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and Green Lantern as opposite studios. Tons of examples other than those too.

I enjoyed his performance in Black Panther. Are they done with the guy from Man of Steel though? I thought he did an admirable job.

Wut?
    LOL, nope, they sold all the properties they could in the what? late 90s? Because they were going bankrupt. X-Men, Spiderman...ect....Iron Man was a fucking D list hero.

Marvel has convinced you over 15 years that the heros they work with are their top tier, but Before MCU, Thor was NOT the big deal he is now.

Oh and OT, Not Cavill or WB have confirmed this, they even deny it. SO..... Cavill is STILL supes.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they doing the Steel (John Henry Irons) story line? If so that would be cool. But him as superman would be weird because Superman isn't a mantle name like Green Lantern or Ghost rider.

Wut?
    Wut?

By what measure are the Guardians of The Galaxy among the most well-known and popular heroes or anti-heroes in the comic book world?

Deleted
    So he's going down the acting route? Bit of a jump from basketball to acting, not sure he can pull of the Superman look at 55 though.

How about they just stop making Superman and Batman movies?

I mean come on, even their successes are shit (Wonder Woman).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Right... you are full of shit. Try casting the Black Panther as a white guy and see how far that "equality" shit goes......
    False equivalency, there is not a lot of black superheroes, and taking one role away from the very limited pool of black heroes is clearly not the same thing as taking one role away from a white person, which they have a plethora of.

And we are not even touching the very important point that african-americans have to live with racism everyday and, therefore, they are not in the same social standing as white people.

While you point of view is logic, and that is good, it does not account for all variables.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention that the few black superheroes that we have, are not nearly as popular as the white heroes.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Superman is boring, just stop making movies about him.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    False equivalency, there is not a lot of black superheroes, and taking one role away from the very limited pool of black heroes is clearly not the same thing as taking one role away from a white person, which they have a plethora of.

And we are not even touching the very important point that african-americans have to live with racism everyday and, therefore, they are not in the same social standing as white people.

While you point of view is logic, and that is good, it does not account for all variables.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention that the few black superheroes that we have, are not nearly as popular as the white heroes.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Superman is boring, just stop making movies about him.
    Oh there it is, the race card.

False equivalency, there is not a lot of black superheroes
    Yes there are.
    So don't make movies about them? If the movie is good it doesn't matter how popular the comic or character are.

Blade wasn't exactly a top seller before his movie was made and those movies share a lot of the responsibility for why we have the huge superhero movie boom now.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they really need a black superman, get Idris Elba.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wut?
    They're talking about how well-known the characters are with the B and C tier comment. Marvel took a lot of characters that were relatively unknown to people who aren't comic fans and turned them into what we have today with the MCU. I'd never even heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy, or about half of the Avengers, until the movies.

- - - Updated - - -

The revenue from Black Panther would like to have a word with you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochlol View Post
    Oh there it is, the race card.
    I mean, it is what it is.

I do love how a lot of the detractors in these discussions like to play the " If Black Panther was white" card. It's just intellectually disingenuous on so many levels to draw such a false equivalency.

I do understand where the logic comes from, but its proponents fail to realize that the point only holds ceteris paribus - all things being equal. All things are obviously NOT equal when it comes to race in America, so...

It's just a silly argument honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    What about DCAU Lex makes you think he's black? His skin tone that is literally the same as all the white characters or the fact that he's voiced by the Kurgan?
    In Superman he was white, in Justice League they intentionally made him darker skinned. I personally didn't even notice till I read an interview with Bruce Timm (fuck if I know where that is). I think its the same one where he talks about using John Stewart as the Green Lantern instead of Kyle who had already been introduced to the DCEU as a way to add diversity.

I do prefer when they just do it and not make it out like its the most incredible thing ever for a character to be non white. The Sam Wilson Captain America comic was a huge disappointment for me because it felt like it was going no where. Every second panel was like "this captain america is black! Oh did we mention he's black? Look at his skin colour!" I was really looking forward to his run as Captain America. Then when War Machine died they had this secret black superhero only meeting.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2018-09-13 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    In Superman he was white, in Justice League they intentionally made him darker skinned. I personally didn't even notice till I read an interview with Bruce Timm (fuck if I know where that is). I think its the same one where he talks about using John Stewart as the Green Lantern instead of Kyle who had already been introduced to the DCEU as a way to add diversity.
    No they didn't...

Same color as Supes himself.