Poll: IS WoW still a MMO?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Is this game still a MMO?

I mean, im in no way vanilla freak, but damn, to me it feels like this game regressed immensely in whole "living, immersive world" aspect.
    Phasing/sharding/connected realms/cross realm zones... mobs popping out at 20y range where even vanilla had that at about 100y (pretty much little to where horizont at max setting was set, which would be equal to today's view dist. set to 1 but still); I mean it created such a cool feeling and possibilites to be able to see mobs and players that far. I was thinking I was going crazy and that mob/players draw distance was heavily reduced at some point but after bit of checking out it seems like its definitely the case.
    Why are maps designed to compress them as much as they are since MoP(or even Cata)? Its cool and more than OK to have some more dense places but there should be big open plains with less mobs and stuff going on.

This game is still in fact:
    -Massive
    -Multiplayer

Hopefully that clears up your confusion.

Yes that is a really dumb question.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes

Everything you wrote in your post is irrelevant - this is still a MMO.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    it sounds like you want more dead space not that your confused if tis an mmo.

Where is "Other" option?

"Theme Park" MMO, which is kind of classic MMO but not really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do agree I would like some more open field zones, which is why Arathi was always one of my fave (and now it's loaded up with mines and trees and whatnot). I guess Vol'dun has some open desert landscape, but... mob density man. Azeroth is kinda running out of space for spare landscape.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    I do agree I would like some more open field zones, which is why Arathi was always one of my fave (and now it's loaded up with mines and trees and whatnot). I guess Vol'dun has some open desert landscape, but... mob density man. Azeroth is kinda running out of space for spare landscape.
    Yes, new zones design since WoD I think even though are beautiful but are utter clusterfuck.

Not really. NPC view distance is trash now. You spend the majority of the game by yourself doing time sinks, then you open a menu and find 4 other players for dungeons. If you're in a good guild you actually talk with them and do things with them. Otherwise you open a menu and find a pug hoping to get in and raid. For the most part you're playing the game with 10-15 players and there's no sense of community anymore now that servers are so mixed together. And as far as getting geared goes you can get very geared from M+ which means you're just playing with 4 other people repeatedly.

This game is more like Destiny nowadays. Small scale content dominates the majority of time spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Telosen View Post
    Not really. NPC view distance is trash now. You spend the majority of the game by yourself doing time sinks, then you open a menu and find 4 other players for dungeons. If you're in a good guild you actually talk with them and do things with them. Otherwise you open a menu and find a pug hoping to get in and raid. For the most part you're playing the game with 10-15 players and there's no sense of community anymore now that servers are so mixed together. And as far as getting geared goes you can get very geared from M+ which means you're just playing with 4 other people repeatedly.

This game is more like Destiny nowadays. Small scale content dominates the majority of time spent.
    I think you're confusing Blizzard lowering the barrier of entry to content with the potential amount of energy that can be spent on completing the content.

In Classic WoW if you did the bare minimum (i.e. like only pugging into content with LFG and such in current WoW) you didn't have much of a game to play.

If you're without a community to play with, that's on you for not trying to integrate with one. At least you can still do the content if that's not your jam these days.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Telosen View Post

this really reads like you go out of your way to not deal with people then blame the game. you want a sense of community? join some and actually interact with people. you want to group with more people? go and make events in said community. my guild leader goes out of there way to make wpvp events about 4 times a week and had no problem getting a full 40 raid to go do stuff and even made there own community so people who want to wpvp cross sever can stay in touch.

all of the mmo elements are there you just have to actually want to partake in them.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's multiplayer. Massively so (in terms of player count and playable area). And it's Online.

So yes it's an MMO still.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

No it is not, it is more Diablo 3-ish than anything now

No, its a collection of instanced minigames connected by autoqueues and portals. Everything is segmented by instances, phasing, sharding, war mode on/off and badly-connected realms to ruin the immersion. Its better described as a raid ARPG.

Compare to vanilla where you had your server and that was it. Your personal reputation on the server MATTERED so people didn't drop group on one wipe because then you get branded as a quitter. Each server had its collection of endgame guilds, mid-tier guilds, social guilds, pvp guilds. Your guild tag was known. People talked to each other. You regularly ran into people on both factions and they became known to each other, often on a personal level. It felt like a COMMUNITY. And THAT was more important than the fact that the itemization sucked, half the classes were broken,and raids had big issues. Its why the game had over 10 million players very quickly.

For a while, the game had destroyed its community but at least had pretty good itemization, classes, and raids. Now in BfA, not only is the community still DEAD, but the itemization is going bad, people don't like warfronts or IEs, and many classes are having problems too. Its just bad all the way around and very far from an MMO.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-09-16 at 04:41 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    No, its a collection of instanced minigames connected by autoqueues and portals. Everything is segmented by instances, phasing, sharding, war mode on/off and badly-connected realms to ruin the immersion. Its better described as a raid ARPG.
    so wow has never been an mmo? its always been a collection of instances just because you don't need to sit spamming trade chat any more doesn't change that.

Yes it's still an MMO. An MMORPG in the classic since of the term, not so much anymore.

Never played Vanilla, and all the Vanilla fanbois will hate me for saying this, but Vanilla was overrated. However I heard people ACTUALLY use to know each other cause the servers were like tight communities. I would love to have that instead of what we have today.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    based on what? it doesn't limit you to the same part size of diablo 3, daiblo 3 doesn't have raids doesn't have wpvp, doesn't have 13 classes ect ect ect. saying something like that might sound good but it really doesn't hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    so wow has never been an mmo? its always been a collection of instances just because you don't need to sit spamming trade chat any more doesn't change that.
    What makes it an MMO is the community. The massive community. It was AMAZING and I miss it much.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    What's it being more like Diablo have to do with it being an MMO? Sounds like you're arguing it's not an RPG.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)