Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Weird. They actually call them detention centers here. I wonder why.
    And most media called them detention centers under Trump as well. You're mistaking social media posts for news posts, I believe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Not many hits of media actually calling them that (though they do discuss the topic), eh?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...39.52UZe8pQ80Q

Yowza, look at all those hits of media referring to them as detention centers!
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-09-29 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And most media called them detention centers as well. You're mistaking social media posts for news posts, I believe.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Not many hits of media actually calling them that (though they do discuss the topic), eh?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...39.52UZe8pQ80Q

Yowza, look at all those hits of media referring to them as detention centers!
    First five links use concentration camp.

Look, it's fine. It's not an issue that Obama did it because textcon.

Don't they use planes to move drugs?? Doesn't seem like it will do anything against their main source of money.

First five links use concentration camp.

Look, it's fine. It's not an issue that Obama did it because textcon.
    You mean zocalopublicsquare? That reputable news site?

Or Haaretz posting an opinion piece?

Or Haaretz covering a Wikipedia edit that changed Trumps detention centers to "concentration camps", but doesn't actually call them that?

Or the Washington Post article that goes into detail acknowledging that while technically a correct term cautions that it's missing a huge amount of context given the nature of how that term has evolved over the years?

Or the Fortune article similarly covering the Wikipedia edit?

Seriously, stop burying your head in the sand and maybe give the articles a read before making yourself look foolish and ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust Trader Mittens View Post
    Don't they use planes to move drugs?? Doesn't seem like it will do anything against their main source of money.
    Naw man, they hoof it on foot using guys with thighs the size of cantaloupes. Just ask Steve King.

You mean zocalopublicsquare? That reputable news site?

Or Haaretz posting an opinion piece?

Or Haaretz covering a Wikipedia edit that changed Trumps detention centers to "concentration camps", but doesn't actually call them that?

Or the Washington Post article that goes into detail acknowledging that while technically a correct term cautions that it's missing a huge amount of context given the nature of how that term has evolved over the years?

Or the Fortune article similarly covering the Wikipedia edit?

Seriously, stop burying your head in the sand and maybe give the articles a read before making yourself look foolish and ignorant.
    I didn't realize Google was a social media page.

Now, if you guys want to put your ramblings into the social media trash pile, I'm for it.

I didn't realize Google was a social media page.

Now, if you guys want to put your ramblings into the social media trash pile, I'm for it.
    You said media called them concentration camps. Only one of the top five results which you claim did that, actually did that. And it did that while going at great length to specifically differentiate between the common understanding of Nazi concentration camps and what the term actually (and formerly was commonly used as) to mean.

So you're going to continue lying which is making my attempts to engage with you pointless. Carry on then if you're not actually interested in a discussion, I'll see myself out.

So you're going to continue lying which is making my attempts to engage with you pointless. Carry on then if you're not actually interested in a discussion, I'll see myself out.
    I wasn't the one who claimed I get my news from the social media. So, why are you getting mad at me for your mistake?

Besides, why shouldn't I believe the folks here when they backed off calling them concentration camps the instant it was Obama?

Also, Slate and the Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust Trader Mittens View Post
    Planes, boats and underground tunnels so they would just laugh at the wall.

15+ Year Old Account
    A border wall would slightly impede cartels and slightly prevent movement across the border in general, but the money spent vs what you get out of it is extremely tiny, thus it will never be worth it. In a world with infinite money, infinite resources, and infinite time, such a gloriously stupid project might be worth it, but this is not that world.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    It won't even do that. They don't come in by walking across the border.
    Primarily they may not, but they absolutely do in some capacity and saying they don't is just flat out ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Except Trump stated he was going to reduce the deficit to zero in 8 years. It's not hypocritical and Republicans aren't some tax burdenless warriors for the middle class. I live in Texas, and we have one of, if not the worst, regressive tax structures in the country.
    and I live in Illinois and pay more in property taxes than my mortgage payment. when I own my home in 8 years I still have to pay the state of Illinois 500 a month to live in my home. as I said before each party increase our debt and they tax to cover it and still spend more. got a sugar tax here. doesn't effect me I don't drink it, but its here. got toll roads, that I already pay taxes to repair, we can go back and forth all day with taxes between the two parties. but thinking one is worse than the other is hypocritical. neither party has an economic solution to our burdens. each party burdens the lower and middle class.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, it really doesn't. Once people overplayed their hand, there was no reason to take it seriously.

Separating kids from parents is an asshole move. But that takes a backseat to people being selectively mad about "Concentration Camps". And the fact people were upset about kids in cages but now have twenty excuses for Obama's kids in cages.

So, in context, this deserves permanent mockery. Especially since people were okay with "Concentration Camps" for over a fucking decade.
    No, I get it. You aren't interested in serious conversation.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    and I live in Illinois and pay more in property taxes than my mortgage payment. when I own my home in 8 years I still have to pay the state of Illinois 500 a month to live in my home. as I said before each party increase our debt and they tax to cover it and still spend more. got a sugar tax here. doesn't effect me I don't drink it, but its here. got toll roads, that I already pay taxes to repair, we can go back and forth all day with taxes between the two parties. but thinking one is worse than the other is hypocritical. neither party has an economic solution to our burdens. each party burdens the lower and middle class.
    If you're paying $500/mo in property taxes, you're at least middle class, based on the value of your home. Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilized society. You may have some valid points about both the dems and the reps having some unpopular economic solutions, but saying "both sides are the same" is beyond ridiculous.

When was the last time the dems gave the rich an unfunded trillion dollar tax break?

10+ Year Old Account
    The walls keep the Fallen out and keep humanity safe under the blessed light of the Traveler.

Or am I thinking about Destiny?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    No, I get it. You aren't interested in serious conversation.
    Why would I want a serious conversation with people who only think a facility that's been around for over a decade magically became a concentration camp under Trump?

Against the cartels the wall will do nothing. From the cartels' perspective, if half of the drugs that they send to the US make it through, they are making a lot of money. Anything over half is extra gravy. Most of the drugs coming to the US is coming through the various ports of entry in containers hidden among legal merchandise. The volume of trade between the US and Mexico is too large for the CBP to be able to check and catch them all. The cartels also spend a lot money bribing CBP and Border Patrol personnel. The Border Patrol seals which indicate that the containers have been pre-inspected before getting to the ports of entry go for a pretty penny.

As for the migrants, the existing fence pushed them into areas without walls. From economic perspective, the San Diego fence which extends from the Pacific Ocean to the foothill of Otay Mountain Range is good. I doubt that economic development of Imperial Beach, San Ysidro and Otay Mesa would have been possible without the added security of the fence. From a humanitarian perspective, it was a major disaster. It pushed the migrants into the deadly Anza-Borrego Desert. Nobody know the exact numbers that perished trying to cross, but since the fence was completed in 1994, the official body count is around 8,000 and growing. The actual number is probably higher. It is a big desert.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2018-09-29 at 03:58 AM.

Why would I want a serious conversation with people who only think a facility that's been around for over a decade magically became a concentration camp under Trump?
    Once again you being purposely deceptive and you know damn why, Trump's goal was to use the forced separation of children as a deterrent, which is vastly different then having a place to put unaccompanied minors

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Once again you being purposely deceptive and you know damn why, Trump's goal was to use the forced separation of children as a deterrent, which is vastly different then having a place to put unaccompanied minors
    Kids in a cage. You guys cried until the truth came out and now, for some odd reason, there's nothing wrong with kids in a cage. Fucking bizzare.

Let me show you a picture of the border wall. A real picture.

It's a security blanket. It's a comfort object for a bunch of deeply paranoid, racist people. It's also a monument to White supremacy in a rapidly browning America.

That is all it is.

Kids in a cage. You guys cried until the truth came out and now, for some odd reason, there's nothing wrong with kids in a cage. Fucking bizzare.
    again you are deliberately avoiding context and nuance, like the spike in mistreatment and abuse under Trump, how they have failed to follow court orders and general incompetence of it all.