Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post

I was thinking the same thing.

A better robot might end up being shaped like an upside-down octopus on wheels. As in having more arms is better than having legs.
    Most spaces where these robots would be used are designed around the very vertical anatomy of human bodies. So the machine would have to be roughly as tall as the average person and roughly as wide. Most humans as a rule of thumb can reasonably comfortably operate on a 36 inch base (even less) and can reach as high as 6ft 4 comfortably.

It makes sense to build something that would operate in those environments. Also these machines would likely have to operate and work side by side with humans, in which case mimicking human anatomy would make interaction with them easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why give it arms and legs when wheels and some kind of bracket to grab the sheet rock would do a better job? Seems gimmicky to me.

Unless their goal is to have it do a lot of different kinds of work other than drywall.
    Stairs and doors.

These robots are meant to operate in environments designed for humans. While you can build wheel and tread systems that can likely navigate some elevations, they won't have the sheer adaptable flexibility of legs (whether bipedal or quadrupedal or whatever).

Bipedal robots are stupid for military applications, but if you need them to work in spaces designed for humans, it's better than most other options.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I give it twenty years before they're capable of doing tasks at the same level of a human, and even then those tasks will be very specialized. Doing construction with robots would probably take a dozen different kinds, if not more, working together in sync. It would make more sense to move to things like 3D printed housing and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It's a screwgun.
    And it violates code too!!! Who'd have thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    No it's not, there have been a handful of trials which no one plans to scale up because they immediately highlighted the problems.

In Finland it's Ok if you have a village on UBI, where the cost is spread out almost invisibly amongst the much larger rest-of-Finland population.

You instantly run into problems when you scale it up - there is no "someone else" to send the bills to, and it becomes painfully obvious that you are working to pay taxes so that the government can simply hand out free money without attaching any sort of conditions or underlying need such as sickness or disability.

UBI evangelists all live in some sort of utopia unreality, where people have their UBI and become artists or musicians. In the real world, though, you'd get loads of people who would simply retire and be quite happy "surfer style life". i.e. not much in the way of material goods but able to spend all day every day playing. Anyone doing the really crappy jobs like cleaning out sewers would be equally happy to stp even if it meant less money.

UBI is a pipedream, people are not going to pay higher taxes so that joe next door can sit on his arse
    I can see why you're shitting all over it. You're wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Republicans love to use the "dependency" angle.

UBI does not cover every single thing in your life. It just gives you enough money for food and utilities, in some cases I saw that it was $500 a month.

You think people live large off $500 a month? LOL, that's a drop in the bucket and the money goes right back into the economy. That's what it's for. That's what stimulates it.

It is going to happen. You will remember this post in the future and say, "Welp. That guy on the MMO-C forums was 100% right."

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Why give it arms and legs when wheels and some kind of bracket to grab the sheet rock would do a better job? Seems gimmicky to me.

Unless their goal is to have it do a lot of different kinds of work other than drywall.
    No kidding, why limit it to the human form.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    No kidding, why limit it to the human form.
    Scroll up.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    After watching this video, I feel we have about another 248 years to wait before robots can do jobs that aren't assembly line.
    10 years ago we couldn't get the computations to keep a bipedal robot balanced when introducing impulses to the system at random intervals. I'd suspect that the robot weighs probably close to 100 lbs, if not less, if it is using a completely electric motor system. That means it's incredibly lightweight. The "flimsy" and "jerky" behavior is a direct result of having a low mass system that is mostly reacting to sudden changes in the system, rather than anticipating the change and bracing for it.
    Now you may ask at that point, "Why not just program it to brace for the impulse from the screw/nail gun?" That is a good question, most likely it is to keep the coding more simple at the moment, since the robot does not have haptic feedback to gauge how much pressure it can pre-maturely introduce into the system in order to brace for future impulses, it instead has a more generalized algorithm for self-stabilization in the case of sudden impulse.
    The animal nervous system filters and utilizes so much data on the fly, and we have so many sensory inputs available to us, it is often easy to overlook all of the steps required to lift up a piece of drywall and then use a nailgun or screwgun to fix it in place.
    My biggest questions are: How much power does the robot consume in an hour? How much power did it consume in just attaching that one drywall? How does the robot detect the studs to attach the drywall to, acoustics, rf, pre-programmed assumptions on dimensions of the building?
    For Japan this makes a robot labor construction force maybe 10 years away to start introduction, which is good for Japan, they need manual laborers. For the rest of the world, maybe 50 to 80 years out before it becomes economically worth it. The one thing I like about the tragic state of Japan's dwindling population is that it causes them to utilize their human work force better, and come up with interesting ideas for automation menial tasks.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I give it twenty years before they're capable of doing tasks at the same level of a human, and even then those tasks will be very specialized. Doing construction with robots would probably take a dozen different kinds, if not more, working together in sync. It would make more sense to move to things like 3D printed housing and the like.
    They are already here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdnrtnjT5Q
    Last edited by kendro1200; 2018-10-08 at 03:28 AM.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

What is this obsession with giving them human like appearances? Must be a more effective way than 2 arms and 2 legs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It doesn't look like it's in control in that video, but it does have huge implications for the future. The obvious goal is that every job is automated by robots.
    Gonna need living wages or else many people in the real world will be screwed, I can't speak for all around the world...but in the US there is a lot of people against stuff like that because "get a job you lazy people" arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    10 years ago, we were only one year after the iphone, technology is going further and faster than ever, it's just that we live along, so it looks slow for us, but it is not.

I don't think we will have flying cars in 10 years (i fact, i don't think we will have flying cars ever), but look: we can print almost everything, we have prothesis, we are a few steps away to cure blindness (or at least, contourn it).

If we manage to make quantum computers a reality, our technology will also make a leap forward.

Forget Tesla, Musk and his ridiculous idea to go on Mars in 2030: that likely won't happen, but many things can and will happen before and up to 2030.

We are only in the antichamber of the greatest scientific revolution in the whole human history, the 20 next years will be pivotal, you can bet on that.
    Yet the latest iphone doesn't do much more than the first one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Is it really Japanese? I don't see any boobs on it

But joking aside, this is a solid beginning for a robot workforce that we will no doubt see in practice in a decade or two.
    Seriously?

Its a joke. Like self driving cars.

My flying car that I've been promised since the 1980s will arrive sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Yet the latest iphone doesn't do much more than the first one.
    Yeah he thinks quantum computers will be in his 4080ti.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    You instantly run into problems when you scale it up - there is no "someone else" to send the bills to, and it becomes painfully obvious that you are working to pay taxes so that the government can simply hand out free money without attaching any sort of conditions or underlying need such as sickness or disability.
    Companies pay. Instead of paying an employee, you have a robot, which is obviously a lot cheaper. Instead of all this profit going into the pockets of the already wealthy, they pay to make UBI possible. If they don't, a lot of people will be unemployed, economies will collapse and no one will buy their product.

Anyone doing the really crappy jobs like cleaning out sewers would be equally happy to stp even if it meant less money.
    That only means they get paid too little. With UBI, you will have to pay enough for people to want to do the job, instead of using slave labor that HAVE to do those shit jobs, because the alternative is nothing.

UBI is a pipedream, people are not going to pay higher taxes so that joe next door can sit on his arse watching Tv all day.
    UBI is not a lot of money. It's just enough for the basics. You might not even be able to afford a TV or cable to sit and watch all day. A lot of people will keep working. Maybe a little less hours, maybe a more fun job that pays less, but they will work. The people who choose to sit on their ass all day and live on that minimal income, were never the people you wanted working for/with you.

There is no future in which there is no UBI. How do you expect to pay for all the unemployed people when robots take their jobs? You can't. Or do you want to pay 90% taxes? Companies that utilize robots will have to pay for them and put it towards everyone's UBI.

5+ Year Old Account
    That's my distant cousin. He's here to take your jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Seriously?

Its a joke. Like self driving cars.

My flying car that I've been promised since the 1980s will arrive sooner.
    It is no joke. Self driving already mostly works, just a matter of time. There's financial incentive to have autonomous cars, and automated work force. Also who ever dreamed up the idea of flying cars never took into consideration that you have monkeys behind the wheel of a flying metal can that is carrying explosive fuel. Humans are already bad drivers, do you really want these same people flying cars about your home while you sleep?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    That's my distant cousin. He's here to take your jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

It is no joke. Self driving already mostly works, just a matter of time. There's financial incentive to have autonomous cars, and automated work force. Also who ever dreamed up the idea of flying cars never took into consideration that you have monkeys behind the wheel of a flying metal can that is carrying explosive fuel. Humans are already bad drivers, do you really want these same people flying cars about your home while you sleep?

Self driving cars are not here yet.

When there are large numbers on the roads chaos will ensue.

Just imagine what trouble kids will cause feigning stepping off the side walk

As for flying cars? Whether it's a car in 2d or a flying car in 3d won't matter much.

Neat, considering how many unaltered panels of sheetrock actually ever get hung

At least the creators had the forethought to give it a screwgun, rather than relying on the shitty rock nails that get used in modern construction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    edit:

They are already here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdnrtnjT5Q
    Oh, I know they're here, I'm just saying we should invest more into them and focus our research on that instead of making armies of robots to build things like humans do.

- - - Updated - - -

Self driving cars are not here yet.

When there are large numbers on the roads chaos will ensue.

Just imagine what trouble kids will cause feigning stepping off the side walk

As for flying cars? Whether it's a car in 2d or a flying car in 3d won't matter much.
    These kids are little shits. I've got some in my neighborhood who like to jump out into the street and dance around when cars are coming.

Deleted
    Oh, I know they're here, I'm just saying we should invest more into them and focus our research on that instead of making armies of robots to build things like humans do.

- - - Updated - - -

These kids are little shits. I've got some in my neighborhood who like to jump out into the street and dance around when cars are coming.
    Give them more time to think of even more amusing stuff

How long until some one works out a way to mess with their lidars to make them slam on the brakes, or corrupt the return signals so that a stationary car in front isn't detected.

I bet there's greater minds than mine thinking up plenty such shenanigans

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Give them more time to think of even more amusing stuff

How long until some one works out a way to mess with their lidars to make them slam on the brakes, or corrupt the return signals so that a stationary car in front isn't detected.

I bet there's greater minds than mine thinking up plenty such shenanigans
    If by 'shenanigans' you mean 'causing car accidents and injuring people', sure.

Deleted
    If by 'shenanigans' you mean 'causing car accidents and injuring people', sure.
    It could certainly get out of hand and dangerous.

Perhaps kids will be sensible and not do any shenanigans around autonomous vehicles.

And perhaps I'll win a triple rollover lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Screws aren’t against code. At least where I live.
    In US both are allowed by codes. In practice, on my projects at least, they use nails along the edges to hang the panels, then screws everywhere else. It is my understanding that the nails are less likely to tear the paper along the edges, and the dimples are no big deal since the edges will be taped and mudded anyway.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2018-10-08 at 05:00 PM.