Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I am curious on why WoW 2.0 is not in the works?

I have read that there is no reason to do a 2.0 because the current game is doing fine (financially). I have read that they might lose tons of people because of the achievement, pet, toy, etc systems that would essentially be lost.

I have also read the devs talk about the severe handicaps put on them by the ancient systems that run the game. I also think that level 120 is silly and we actually have not gotten anything new since level 100 so what is the point of leveling currently but to put a barrier to entry for new players. I also think that the game is so complicated now that we will forever be in beta mode because they spend more time squashing bugs because of the complexity of the game than they do working on stuff that is *fun*.

So why are we still holding onto this steaming pile? Would it not be better to get a fresh start? Would that not create more people playing? You aren't X expansions behind if you start fresh, everyone knows the same information so it is better for beginners, and the system could be designed with current technology and ideas.

Thoughts?
    The world does not begin and end with your opinion. Just because you think Blizz should make WoW 2.0 doesn't not mean that we actually need WoW 2.0.

Yeah, WoW has a lot of issues atm. No argument there. But not enough that the entirety of the game needs to be tossed aside to satisfy people like you.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TelefonoGatewood View Post
    Ah nice deflection. Lol, ok then, let's play these silly forum games.

Titan tanked. It was a failure. I think we've established that you were dead wrong about that and I was right.
    Therefore the argument is: No sane business exec will greenlight the multi-year, multi-million dollar investment that is a new tripple-A MMO.

I feel like I'm repeating myself but I guess that's required to get through to you.
    Now you'll of course do the silly thing and reply, deflect and try to strawman this into something else instead of just shrugging, admitting you were wrong and moving away from this silly argument.

And round and round and round we go.
    (Ps. I'm not really trying to get through to you)
    It tanked from a game dev standpoint, not the business standpoint you claimed this conversation was supposed to be about, because from a buisness standpoint, the investment paid off with an extremely lucrative product, which is all the suits give a shit about.

You said we were supposed to be thinking like a business, and then you changed to thinking like a game dev, you moved the goalposts, you tried to "strawman this into something else", not me... I'm not the one who deflected, you are, you started losing the argument on the grounds which you declared it was supposed to be debated (business) and so you changed it to something else.

Go sit in the corner, your behavior is pathetic and childish.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-10-10 at 05:36 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Why would they risk a ton of money on a new MMO that has an exceedingly large chance of a) underperforming, b) canabalizing WoW's playerbase or c) out right failing?

Why bother risking all that money and development time when you can create something like Hearthstone and Overwatch - which are massively cheaper to create, easier to sustain AND make gobs of money for very little development time and effort?

I am all for it as long as they let me keep/import my 9 years worth of progression
    It would be super nice to see WoW with updated graphics and animations (Like say Black Desert) - Just think of how Amazing everything would look!!!!

If by 2.0 you mean an entirely new game like Everquest 1 went to Everquest 2 then..likely never? Everquest 1 and Ultima Online still continue cause they are still generating a profit. If World of Warcraft ever reaches total subs of below 500,000 and the server count is reduced to below 12 then we MAY see a World of Warcraft 2 but..that won't happen within the next ten years. So 2030? Maybe?

However I'd be willing to pay for an expansion that was a graphics/engine overhaul entirely. Or some expansion of many QOL issues, like Player Housing, but no sudden level boost. Other games do mini-expansions inbetween expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombrik View Post
    If by 2.0 you mean an entirely new game like Everquest 1 went to Everquest 2 then..likely never? Everquest 1 and Ultima Online still continue cause they are still generating a profit. If World of Warcraft ever reaches total subs of below 500,000 and the server count is reduced to below 12 then we MAY see a World of Warcraft 2 but..that won't happen within the next ten years.
    By the time that happens the IP will be pretty much played out. No one will think it a good idea to invest five plus years and $100,000,000+ to do anything in a dead genre niche (MMORPG) with an IP that has been around for decades.

So you're right as far as it goes. Personally I don't ever expect to see a WoW2 under any circumstances.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    You, claiming Titan tanked from a game dev standpoint.

Also you, on previous page, claiming that Titan didn't tank at all from game dev standpoint.

Well done for re-writing your entire narrative in just one comment page. Your head must be interesting place. Like JFK at rush hour. Lot of planes landing, lot of planes leaving - but no one really staying for very long.
    Don't try to twist my statements to fit your bullshit. I was stating that from a business standpoint (you know the standpoint you said the conversation was supposed to be about), not a game dev standpoint, I said that I was making that statement from a business perspective IN THE POST YOU QUOTED IT FROM. It was not working the way they wanted it to so they made the business decision to salvage what they could and use it to make Overwatch instead of wasting the invested time and resources, and that ended up being a wildly popular, extremely profitable success, which means from a business perspective it ended up not being a failure.

Stop trying to fabricate bullshit and blatantly misrepresent my statements to fit your narrative, it's pathetic.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-10-10 at 08:27 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I remember this thread from the time when TBC released. And WotLK. And Cata. And...
    And mark my words: Five years from now, someone will make this exact same thread after 2-3 more expansions have come out.

I have read that there is no reason to do a 2.0 because the current game is doing fine (financially). I have read that they might lose tons of people because of the achievement, pet, toy, etc systems that would essentially be lost.

I have also read the devs talk about the severe handicaps put on them by the ancient systems that run the game. I also think that level 120 is silly and we actually have not gotten anything new since level 100 so what is the point of leveling currently but to put a barrier to entry for new players. I also think that the game is so complicated now that we will forever be in beta mode because they spend more time squashing bugs because of the complexity of the game than they do working on stuff that is *fun*.

So why are we still holding onto this steaming pile? Would it not be better to get a fresh start? Would that not create more people playing? You aren't X expansions behind if you start fresh, everyone knows the same information so it is better for beginners, and the system could be designed with current technology and ideas.

Thoughts?
    no /2chars

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Warcraft 4 in an Alternate Universe from WoW would be better than WoW 2.0
    Warcraft 4 could always follow AU-Draenor after the events of WoD, using our Garrisons as the starting point/Level 1 for it. That would be the best timeline to use for the game, instead of dealing with ANOTHER AU of Azeroth.

Blizzaard devs are beyond lazy....it took them over 12 years to make shitty diablo 3 ...think about that...LOL

Closest thing we'll get to a WoW 2 will be a WoW 1.9 . Basically a major update to the engine and a massive overhaul of many systems. Meaning a lot of addons like bartender and Opie could be baseline things in the code of the game to allow for player ui customization. The armor design would be move to something with a lot more 3D and physchics. Kinda like the armors npcs wear. But that would be more or less it. Maybe a level squish in there as well?

The driving force behind new development is competition. WoW exists in a unique capacity where it has never had any real competition (FFXIV and SW:TOR are the closest and neither even made a dent in WoW's market share); therefore, it's had no compelling reason to completely reinvent itself. Project Titan would have been the closest thing to a real competitor WoW could have had and we all know how that went.

Imo, as long as WoW remains the industry standard for a MMO, there's little, if any, reason for them to change a formula which clearly works. They'll just keep bolting on the spaghetti to infinity and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Blizzaard devs are beyond lazy....it took them over 12 years to make shitty diablo 3 ...think about that...LOL
    Blizzard North which was a sub company was the original developer and that shut down. And the game was completely rebuilt from scratch.

Unfair to just say 11 years btw when it went through at least 3-4 revisions. At least bring the entire story to the table.

The revision we know of or close to was shown at the Worldwide Invitational in 2008.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-10-10 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I don't even know what your so called business statement is about. Certainly not about business.
    Businesses exist to make money, profit means the end product was successful enough to warrant the investment, therefore a good business decision, therefore not a business failure.

This is extremely simple, I know you can get it through your unimaginably thick skull if you try hard enough.

Thoughts?
    World of Warcraft 2.0 The Burning Crusade.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    The previous project they tried took 7 years and failed in every possible way a project can fail.
    Except it didn't fail to be extremely profitable in the end, one of their most profitable ventures ever, in fact, which, again, is the only thing the suits care about... Do you think ANY of them regret greenlighting Titan given what it turned into in the end? No, none of them do, I guarantee it.

Explain again - in this context - how your statement makes any sense at all.
    This is extremely simple, so I'll say it again: A business that exists to please it's shareholders making an insanely popular and profitable product is not a failure from a business standpoint... It not turning out the way they thought it would when they started is entirely irrelevant to that fact... The "utter failure" you keep parroting that the dev said, that was all from a development perspective, they as developers, failed to make the product they wanted to make, but the product they made in the end, despite it not being what they wanted to make, was still extremely valuable for the business.

You can even pretend you won this Internet debate.
    I don't have to pretend, your pathetic attempts to twist my words, misrepresent my statements, and laughable attempt to get the last word in by tempting me to walk away instead of further disproving your BS makes it readily apparent that I have in fact won the debate.

Maybe you should consider taking your own offer, since you seem to want this to end.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2018-10-11 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    This is extremely simple, so I'll say it again: A business that exists to please it's shareholders making an insanely popular and profitable product is not a failure from a business standpoint... It not turning out the way they thought it would when they started is entirely irrelevant to that fact... The "utter failure" you keep parroting that the dev said, that was all from a development perspective, they as developers, failed to make the product they wanted to make, but the product they made in the end, despite it not being what they wanted to make, was still extremely valuable for the business.
    Overwatch did not *need* the 7 years of development time that Project Titan was given to become the game it is today.

Deleted
    the real question is where is the next mmo from blizzard. pLZ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    Project Titan was going to be their new game but for whatever reason that got canceled. The MMORPG genre takes forever to develop and they're making tons of money off loot boxes. Notice how every new IP since Hearthstone has them as a business model? Until they ban loot boxes, they will keep milking people dry.
    but mmos can make more money

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    Project Titan was going to be their new game but for whatever reason that got canceled. The MMORPG genre takes forever to develop and they're making tons of money off loot boxes. Notice how every new IP since Hearthstone has them as a business model? Until they ban loot boxes, they will keep milking people dry.
    but mmos can make more money

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely maybe never.