Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    why dont you just grow a chicken without a brain
    We did that already. We named him "Daish".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure the EU will love this...
    The EU seems pretty alright with this so far, moreso than the US actually. Cultured meat could potentially be a lot safer than conventional meat considering the significantly reduced risk of bacterial infection (due to a sterile environment) with no need for antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    The EU seems pretty alright with this so far, moreso than the US actually. Cultured meat could potentially be a lot safer than conventional meat considering the significantly reduced risk of bacterial infection (due to a sterile environment) with no need for antibiotics.
    Until they lump it with "GMO"....NEED THAT LABEL!

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    They're all the exact same price here.
    Thats an effect of supply and demand then, not value of the milk itself. Whole milk has more value due to having more milk fat. Fun fact, all milk fat is removed from milk then re-added to the specified amount to make whole(3.5%), 2% 1% or skim.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Until they lump it with "GMO"....NEED THAT LABEL!
    I'm not sure how it could be logically lumped in with GMOs at all, they're not even remotely related.

I'm not sure how it could be logically lumped in with GMOs at all, they're not even remotely related.
    You know damn well by now that if it isn't organic they will want to label it. And one way or another it will get labeled.

You know damn well by now that if it isn't organic they will want to label it. And one way or another it will get labeled.
    I'm all for it being labeled (although we should be careful not to use charged language). I think where GMOs failed is due to shady business tactics and a lack of mainstream ease of education. I've seen several of the meat startups try and reach out to people and there's even a Japanese company working on teaching school children how to make it, so I'm hopeful it will be more positively viewed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Because the more processed a food product is the more it costs. You can look at the cost of milk and see for yourself. Whole milk is cheaper than the 2% or 1% or non-fat milk. The more labor that goes into making a food product means more money spent just to put that final product out on the shelf which means you have to charge more money for the product than a similar product that is less processed. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know this....
    Soda is cheaper than water, so...

I've explained this before, they take different cells from animal (muscle, fat, etc), stimulate their divison with a growth serum (currently fetal growth serum from cows is being used, but scientists are working on a slaughterings alternative) and artificially 'massage' the meat to simulate what happens to flesh with animals moving.
    This sounds disgusting and possibly dangerous. Not to mention expensive. And don't bother responding with not any more disgusting than processed chicken etc. I grew up on a farm and have toured many a slaughterhouse in school. I know full well the horror show those are but I still prefer that to....this.

Growing meat in a lab for one serving that actually tastes and feels like the real deal, then converting that process to mass production is going to be an astronomically expensive and time consuming endeavor. By the time they perfect this it'll probably be too late to matter. Hell it's probably already too late. We might be better off researching how best to live in the future world we are creating for ourselves instead of living this dream that humanity is going to suddenly wake up and realize they're fucking themselves. It's not going to happen ok? Our future generations are screwed. We are responsible and the only possible hope we have is that we can somehow save the oceans from dying off, because if they go..we go and none of this make believe meat is going to matter a goddamn bit.

wait so is this vegan

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Soda is cheaper than water, so...
    That's because the water that is sold & bottled as "bottled water" is processed. The water in soda isn't filtered & processed so even though there are more ingredients in it, it ends up being cheaper. And if you bottle your own water at the machines it is like 25-45 cents per gallon. How many sodas do you see that are 25-45 cents per gallon?

- - - Updated - - -

And I know it is that cheap because my fiance's family refuses to drink tap water because they think it has "so many chemicals" in it so they buy by the gallon & they buy by the case of 48 for $2.99 which turns out to be 6 cents per bottle of water which is cheaper than cases of soda so your point is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    This sounds disgusting and possibly dangerous. Not to mention expensive. And don't bother responding with not any more disgusting than processed chicken etc. I grew up on a farm and have toured many a slaughterhouse in school. I know full well the horror show those are but I still prefer that to....this.

Growing meat in a lab for one serving that actually tastes and feels like the real deal, then converting that process to mass production is going to be an astronomically expensive and time consuming endeavor. By the time they perfect this it'll probably be too late to matter. Hell it's probably already too late. We might be better off researching how best to live in the future world we are creating for ourselves instead of living this dream that humanity is going to suddenly wake up and realize they're fucking themselves. It's not going to happen ok? Our future generations are screwed. We are responsible and the only possible hope we have is that we can somehow save the oceans from dying off, because if they go..we go and none of this make believe meat is going to matter a goddamn bit.
    You think it's too late, I would disagree, although I guess sometimes I can be a little too optimistic.

You think it's too late, I would disagree, although I guess sometimes I can be a little too optimistic.

Stay optimistic. I hope you're right.

Because the more processed a food product is the more it costs. You can look at the cost of milk and see for yourself. Whole milk is cheaper than the 2% or 1% or non-fat milk. The more labor that goes into making a food product means more money spent just to put that final product out on the shelf which means you have to charge more money for the product than a similar product that is less processed. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know this....
    Sometimes (actually often times) processing is there to cut costs as well. If the resources needed to culture meat is cheap, it will end up cheap. As someone else has mentioned, farmed animals are a massive resource hog.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Hopefully it continues to improve, since the livestock industry is unsustainable.
    It's very sustainable, it just has a limit.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you can afford the $20 a pound that it will probably cost once it hits the market. Livestock is cheap. Science made meat is expensive.
    I'm sure that's what cavemen said about cows before the first one was eaten. "Berries don't run away!"

Progress is progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    This topic has come up before and some questions are still unanswered. Which materials will be used to actually grow the meat in the lab, and are they actually more ecofriendly / have a smaller footprint on the planet? Stuff just doesn't grow from thin air.
    It does grow from the sun, which is what, something like 99% of the energy on the Earth?

10+ Year Old Account
    this is just Frankenstein science to me. The ethical question of meating meat is always a subject of debate, but we are the ONLY animal species on the planet to question it, you don't see lions and foxes and eagles sharks or maggots making ethical questions to the consumption of other animal flesh.

but this, it borders into examples of something mankind wasn't meant to mess with, the natural process. Its as off-putting as genetically mutating crops and labeling them as 'all natural'.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Yes, ten terabyte hard drives were like 5 grands ten years ago but the prices goes down. It's called Economies of Scale.
    And yet apparently people don't realize how the cost will be absurd until it's as abundant as current animal meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    this is just Frankenstein science to me. The ethical question of meating meat is always a subject of debate, but we are the ONLY animal species on the planet to question it, you don't see lions and foxes and eagles sharks or maggots making ethical questions to the consumption of other animal flesh.

but this, it borders into examples of something mankind wasn't meant to mess with, the natural process. Its as off-putting as genetically mutating crops and labeling them as 'all natural'.
    While it's always an intriguing thought (because no-one would ever know), I think it's because animals don't think like that? From what I know about animals (admittedly not much in this context) they don't "think" like we do. They don't think "I wish there was a chicken nearby, I like the taste of that more than this rat". Not bashing or trolling you...

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Thats an effect of supply and demand then, not value of the milk itself. Whole milk has more value due to having more milk fat. Fun fact, all milk fat is removed from milk then re-added to the specified amount to make whole(3.5%), 2% 1% or skim.
    Back when White bread was invented, it was more expensive than Wheat. They quickly realized they could use that material in other products, now white is the cheapest

Isnt the entire point of processing food to save costs? Processed bread lasts on a shelf for a much longer time than non processed bread.