Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why hasnt Thanos destroyed half the universe?

Its said because of the vastness of the universe that every possibility that can ever be thought of has happened somewhere but clearly not Thanos getting all 6 gems and wiping out half the universe.

In this so called vast universe where everything could be? Clearly doing that cant be done otherwise it wouldve been done countless times by now!

Maybe it has and we dont know it but it makes you think

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres stuff out there stronger than Thanos, even with his gauntlet. They'd push his face in if he threatened their existence.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

what makes you think the universe hasn't already been wiped out like that? i mean why do you think we haven't seen anything?

Thanos never wanted to destroy, he wanted to save .... he just had a really weird way of doing it.

He only destroyed half of all life, not half of all stuff - doing both would have been counter to his plan and intentions.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Druuge View Post

Its said because of the vastness of the universe that every possibility that can ever be thought of has happened somewhere but clearly not Thanos getting all 6 gems and wiping out half the universe.
    Whoever said that is silly. The universe is vast...but "all possibility" is much more vast.

Now, If we were talking about a multiverse instead of just a single universe...you might be on to something.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Because he wanted to rule the half of the universe.

Deleted
    Probably because the idea of "snapping" half of the Universe wasn't something that some great and powerful and wise and intelligent "Eternal of Titan" somewhere came up with, and hence some amazingly great idea. It's a dumbshit idea that some moron comic book writer came up with, and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's dumb on human standards.

Looking at things that made up beings do, completely ignoring who writes that shit in the first place, is just silly. If you want the real answer, look at who writes it, and evaluate them and what goes on in their head.

Same goes with WoW. There are no 10000 year old elves making decisions in that game. There are just video game story writers. Perfectly average human beings who have dumb ideas.

Because his objective was to target overpopulation. Which is weird, considering that they have space travel tech and its not like the universe is small.

If your talking the multiverse then the simple answer is that this just isn't the universe he did it in. Or he was smart enough to mind wipe everyones memory or the event.

Maybe he did, but it was 200 or more years ago, and earth wasn't at or near the point of population now, so we were spared.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's a dumbshit idea that some moron comic book writer came up with, and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    Thanos snapping the universe to "save" it wasn't thought up by a comic book writer. That was new to the movies. In the comics he kills half of everyone because he wants to bone the literal personification of death and thinks killing half the universe will impress her. In the comics he lives up to the name of "The Mad Titan" because he is actually insane. He kills because he has fetishized death itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Life Capital View Post
    Because his objective was to target overpopulation. Which is weird, considering that they have space travel tech and its not like the universe is small.
    Still finite and many populations are one planet only. The one planet only species would have been even more screwed if Thanos did the fans favourite argument of "Why didn't he just double resources?"

In this so called vast universe where everything could be? Clearly doing that cant be done otherwise it wouldve been done countless times by now!

He has. Earth just had absurdly good RNG and only lost homeless people and starving orphans in third world countries, so no one noticed any change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because the idea of "snapping" half of the Universe wasn't something that some great and powerful and wise and intelligent "Eternal of Titan" somewhere came up with, and hence some amazingly great idea. It's a dumbshit idea that some moron comic book writer came up with, and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's dumb on human standards.

Looking at things that made up beings do, completely ignoring who writes that shit in the first place, is just silly. If you want the real answer, look at who writes it, and evaluate them and what goes on in their head.

Same goes with WoW. There are no 10000 year old elves making decisions in that game. There are just video game story writers. Perfectly average human beings who have dumb ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by ANeM View Post
    Thanos snapping the universe to "save" it wasn't thought up by a comic book writer. That was new to the movies. In the comics he kills half of everyone because he wants to bone the literal personification of death and thinks killing half the universe will impress her. In the comics he lives up to the name of "The Mad Titan" because he is actually insane. He kills because he has fetishized death itself.
    yeah, no ANeM. that would be some stupid film writer human who is also dumb by his standards.

Sydänyö: come on. those are comics and film. they invite you to a world where there are set rules and you experience those universes as their are portrayed. you cannot solve it with logic from the real world, you have to let yourself immerse in those stories. or act like a dick and try to pull the curtain for all of us. which sucks.

topic: isn't his idea more like a uni- or multiversal neutron bomb which kills half of the population but is meant to keep structures intact so that you can use and rule them later? also he knows that half of the population means half of the resources used, which was titans problem in the first place.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ANeM View Post
    I see I see. Yeah it's been a long time since I've read those comics, and I'm not even sure I read those particular ones. That does make a slight bit more sense for sure, but still, my main point remains, which is that people should use meta knowledge when looking at stuff like this; if a fictional being does something, they don't do it because of the fictional being they are, they do it because some regular human somewhere wrote a story.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    yeah, no ANeM. that would be some stupid film writer human who is also dumb by his standards.
    The premise is asinine. Does that make the writer of said premise dumb? Seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    Sydänyö: come on. those are comics and film. they invite you to a world where there are set rules and you experience those universes as their are portrayed. you cannot solve it with logic from the real world, you have to let yourself immerse in those stories. or act like a dick and try to pull the curtain for all of us. which sucks.
    When people are trying to justify decisions made by fictional beings because of what kind of beings they are, that's just moronic, because those beings are fictional, and those decisions weren't made up by some superhuman beings; they were thought up by regular humans.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-10-23 at 05:42 AM.

What a peculiar thing to be so, so butthurt about.

Because he didn't want to? Crazy concept, I know, but he made it abundantly clear that that wasn't his goal.

Whoever told you that was a fucking moron.

Who said it didn't? Maybe in the Marvel universe there wasn't a giant comet or asteroid that wiped out most of the life on Earth 65 million years ago.

Of course, it takes a certain level of cosmic stupid to come up with Thanos' plan in the first place. Anyone with even a fraction of a functional brain cell would have used that god-like power to double the amount of resources and real estate available in the universe rather than be a sadistic cunt who did the exact opposite. Both have exactly the same effect; one just makes you a monster beyond compare, the other makes you a fucking god worthy of worship. Had that been his goal form the very beginning, and practically anyone he encountered would be helping him get all those damn gems.

No, it really doesn't. Well, it makes me think a lot of things, but nothing like what you're implying. More about the types of people coming up with comments/posts/questions like the ones you did here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see I see. Yeah it's been a long time since I've read those comics, and I'm not even sure I read those particular ones. That does make a slight bit more sense for sure, but still, my main point remains, which is that people should use meta knowledge when looking at stuff like this; if a fictional being does something, they don't do it because of the fictional being they are, they do it because some regular human somewhere wrote a story.

The premise is asinine. Does that make the writer of said premise dumb? Seems like it.

When people are trying to justify decisions made by fictional beings because of what kind of beings they are, that's just moronic, because those beings are fictional, and those decisions weren't made up by some superhuman beings; they were thought up by regular humans.
    okay. there is no thanos. there are no dragons. there aren't any heroes other than, for example, firemen. but there ARE people with a rich creativity in their heads and they want to tell a story. maybe it is a good story with good suspension, action and drama, maybe it is lackluster and has logic errors, maybe they invent a character, lay some ground rules for that character and try to let them interact with other thought-up characters and see where it gets the writer AND the villain / hero.

and since our minds can move pretty fast and sometimes even stumble, we jump from one idea to the next and the next and the next and suddenly we have to tie everything together or it all comes crashing down. so, we have a powerful character with a dilemma at hand. thanos is rather eloquent, he knows his ways and he knows he has not many dangerous enemies. he is callous. he sees a problem and he follows his first instinct, his first guess. he does a rather effective but not the best thing to solve his problem.

yes, i am now debating how that character feels and thinks since i immersed myself in the story about that character. is it wrong to question the motivation of a thought-up character? maybe the writer wrote that stuff in his undies in a cheap hotel room when the inspiration struck him? maybe he thought about that too and needed a way to vent that into a written / drawn form? why won't you let other people argue about what a fictive character can do or think only because of it being man-made? that way you wouldn't be able to discuss any tv shows, movies, books, games or paintings which aren't for scientific or educational purpose. ALL OF THEM are made by man and therefore ineligible to discuss if we follow your point of view.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Deleted
    What's even dumber is that he kept a number of super heroes on earth alive. He's basically setting up his own fall. Shouldve wiped them al out.

But yeah, it's a movie

Like some have pointed out in this thread, the movie did a bad job of showing that Thanos is insane. Even though he killed the daughter that he loved and his "killing half the universe" idea is crazy, he comes off as a rational person.

There should've been one or two scenes that showed how crazy he is. But then the movie made over a billion dollars so who am I to judge.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland